Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chapman, Leake, and Boxberger

Chapman, Leake, and Boxberger

Where do you guys possibly see these 3 starting the season at?????

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman, Leake, and Boxberger

Chapman at either AAA or in Cincinnati (depending on his dominance in Spring Training), Leake in AA (then soon up to Louisville, if he dominates, someone struggles, or Chapman is sent up to Cincinnati), and Boxberger in Dayton (with a mid-season promotion to Lynchburg if he does well).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Boxberger - Lynchburg
    Leake - Carolina
    Chapman - somewhere between Carolina and Cincinnati. Depends on his performance this spring.

doug,

You don't think they'll throw Dayton a bone with Boxberger, especially considering how poor that team looks to be? They have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    doug,

You don't think they'll throw Dayton a bone with Boxberger, especially considering how poor that team looks to be? They have in the past.
    I think its pretty telling that he wasn't in any of the Dragons previews. That tells me that they aren't expecting him there at all.

Was Boxberger invited to spring training?

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Was Boxberger invited to spring training?
    Not with the big club.

Chapman - AA or AAA depending on what he needs to work on.
    Leake - high A with a easy justification for AA
    Boxberger - high A

It seems to me that there is no penalty in starting a pitcher too low, but there could be one in starting him too high.

From what I have read, Leake has the command to start at AA. It seems wise to me to start Chapman at Lynchburg. There will be less pressure, he can work on the art of pitching, and he can still end up in Louisville by August. Knowing nothing about Boxberger beyond his good fastball, I would lean toward starting him at Dayton.

I have read, granted it was a while back, that the organization already had Leake starting here at AA Carolina. I think that makes sense.

I could see Chapman getting a few starts here as well and then being in Louisville mid May or so. I do not want to see Chapman's timetable dictated by successes or failures by the current starters slated for the major league level now.

I'll go with Boxberger being in Lynchburg to start and in Carolina around mid season.

Who are players I am damn excited to see play in Cincy?

I know it has been mentioned that Chapman has a clean arm - almost no wear and tear that we've seen other Cuban defector pitchers have - but do we know how many innings he's thrown the past couple of years? For example, we don't want him going from say 90ip to 180ip if he starts from day 1 in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    I know it has been mentioned that Chapman has a clean arm - almost no wear and tear that we've seen other Cuban defector pitchers have - but do we know how many innings he's thrown the past couple of years? For example, we don't want him going from say 90ip to 180ip if he starts from day 1 in Cincy.
    Yes. He pitched something in the range of 120 in his last season in Cuba. Which means he shouldn't be pushed past about 150 this year.

Yes. He pitched something in the range of 120 in his last season in Cuba. Which means he shouldn't be pushed past about 150 this year.
    So if that is the case, he really shouldn't be starting the season in Cincy unless they plan to shut him down in August or pitch him out of the bullpen at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    So if that is the case, he really shouldn't be starting the season in Cincy unless they plan to shut him down in August or pitch him out of the bullpen at some point.
    Isn't 150ip about what a MLB 5th starter would throw in a season, if they weren't hurt or sent down? Looking at previous Reds seasons, 5th starters seem to throw somewhere between 80 and 120 innings (never more than 120 in the last 10 years), so even if Chapman was a monster who never got hurt and threw like Randy Johnson he probably wouldn't throw more than 120-140 innings while on a 5th starter's schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Turn Off Ads?