Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chapman, Leake, and Boxberger

Re: Chapman, Leake, and Boxberger

From the Baseball America Handbook: ...With a mostly average fastball, Leake has little margin for error, and a lower ceiling than his college dominance might indicate...

Again, my point is, I want to see it before I start jumping on the bandwagon. Ryan Wagner's scouting report looked pretty good coming out of college. I am not casting doubt. I just want to see it.

Baseball America also says pitches at 88-92. That is a huge range. That's everyone from Josh Ravin to Matt Fairel. Ravin was 91-92. Fairel was 88-89. How hard does he really throw?

He will dominate Double-A hitters? I spent eight years working with a Double-A team and I am trying to think of one guy who came straight out of college and dominated. I guess Mark Pryor. That's about it. Pryor was considered a once-in-a-lifetime talent at that time.

I am really looking forward to seeing what Leake does once the bell rings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I saw Leake strikeout Erick Aybar on a nasty slider in Wednesday's game. I was very impressed with his stuff. Everything he threw was at the knees. I think we're going to see him in Cincy at some point in the 2010 season.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    From the Baseball America Handbook: ...With a mostly average fastball, Leake has little margin for error, and a lower ceiling than his college dominance might indicate...

Again, my point is, I want to see it before I start jumping on the bandwagon. Ryan Wagner's scouting report looked pretty good coming out of college. I am not casting doubt. I just want to see it.

Baseball America also says pitches at 88-92. That is a huge range. That's everyone from Josh Ravin to Matt Fairel. Ravin was 91-92. Fairel was 88-89. How hard does he really throw?

He will dominate Double-A hitters? I spent eight years working with a Double-A team and I am trying to think of one guy who came straight out of college and dominated. I guess Mark Pryor. That's about it. Pryor was considered a once-in-a-lifetime talent at that time.

I am really looking forward to seeing what Leake does once the bell rings.
    I think you raise a valid point and I would agree with you. I am also intrigued as to how he will do.

The excitment around a guy like Chapman is that there is plenty of room for improvement when (or if) he learns mature skills like command and changing speeds.

Leake on the other hand already has advanced command and pitchability. Barring regular usage of Barry Bonds brand flaxseed oil, he pretty close to his ceiling now. It will be interesting to see how his stuff plays

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Leake is a groundball-inducing machine.
    Which is what this team needs badly.

Too many of the REDS' starting pitchers are flyball pitchers while we have a park where you want your pitchers to be groundball pitchers. Nothing frustrates a hitter more than not being able to get the ball out of the infield. We didn't trade for Rolen because of his bat, but because of his improved Defense over Encarnacion while being able to give us an average bat, at least.

Jockety is trying really hard to upgrade the infield and outfield defense so that our pitchers can have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Leake should start at AAA. It's a waste of time to send him to lower levels. He's a very poised and polished pitcher. He would thrive with the excellent Louisville team the Reds likely will have.

I see no reason to start Leake below the AAA level.

Chapman should also begin at AAA. Let him pitch some games at AAA, then pitch in the Reds' pen for awhile, then in the rotation later in the season.

Boxberger, him I know less about, likely High A to begin.

But mainly I think Leake is ready for one year of AAA ball then the show.
    I agree with you until proven otherwise. I agree with the others on a delay of Chapman due to the years issue, that the would Reds would have him longer with a bit of a delay.

Chapman starts at AAA depending on his control, and his form. I think the one thing nobody has mentioned is whether he has the same release point on every pitch? Can anybody shed some light on his release point and mechanics do they need to be tightened up?

Leake starts at AAA. This is I think one level or a level and a half higher than college ball.

BoxBerger AA. This is about a half a level higher than the top 25 of college ball. He will be seeing guys that would be the 456 hitters in college at every spot at this level and it will be interesting to see how he responds.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Chapman starts at AAA depending on his control, and his form. I think the one thing nobody has mentioned is whether he has the same release point on every pitch? Can anybody shed some light on his release point and mechanics do they need to be tightened up?

Leake starts at AAA. This is I think one level or a level and a half higher than college ball.

BoxBerger AA. This is about a half a level higher than the top 25 of college ball. He will be seeing guys that would be the 456 hitters in college at every spot at this level and it will be interesting to see how he responds.
    I asked Frankie Piliere about Chapman's mechanics and release point earlier this spring after he watched him throw and he said it all looked good for the most part. Every now and again he got out of that spot, but that is going to happen with everyone.

Boxberger looks like he is going to start in Lynchburg.

As for college ball, at most, its comparable to rookie ball. There are guys on every team in college that couldn't cut it in rookie ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

As for college ball, at most, its comparable to rookie ball. There are guys on every team in college that couldn't cut it in rookie ball.
    Agree with you but the metal bats make them a much tougher out.

Here's a slightly different question:

Who is higher on the Reds depth chart? Which one will be the first to throw a pitch in the majors?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Agree with you but the metal bats make them a much tougher out.
    Yes, but their lesser skill level makes them an easier out as well.

Turn Off Ads?