Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First in Print-Cincinnati Enquirer's New Policy

Re: First in Print-Cincinnati Enquirer's New Policy

Righthaven extends copyright lawsuit campaign to individual Web posters

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87369

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

As for the Enquirer's new strategy of "first in print", I think they'll just spite themselves in the form of driving online news seekers away from their Web site. People will just get into the habit of getting their news somewhere else. They (The Enquirer) are grasping at straws.
    I agree. I won't even use a website that asks you to "register" in order to read it's content. Not in this day and age. Just like over the last 15 years I have rarely watched shows on networks that have too many commercials. And, now with DVR's and other technologies, there's just too many options available for the consumer than to settle on something that's "inconvenient".

Posting a link with just a "teaser" of the article is a system I respect, though. And, if that site asks for registration, money, etc., I feel that's the best way to respect the copyrights of others. Whether or not the teaser is enough to generate the "next step" is up to the individual reader. I don't think it's fair that the whole article is cut-and-pasted. From now on, that's how I'll do it, too, for any site, anywhere. It's only fair.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The Cincinnati Enquirer went behind a paywall today. You get to look at 30 stories per month before it locks you out and requires you to pay for access.

R.I.P to the Cincinnati Enquirer.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Cincinnati Enquirer went behind a paywall today. You get to look at 30 stories per month before it locks you out and requires you to pay for access.

Best thing that has ever happened to me. No longer will I waste time responding to idiots on Fay's blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

All this will do is cut down on traffic to its site thus making it less attractive for folks to advertise there. Why would they want that? I don't get it

I can't imagine ever hitting that 30 stories a month limit.

It's trivial to get around also I'm sure. Google incognito works if you hit the New York Times limit.

Just to be objective, what is lost here? Anyone have some examples of good investigative journalism the Enquirer has done in recent years?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

It's trivial to get around also I'm sure. Google incognito works if you hit the New York Times limit.

Just to be objective, what is lost here? Anyone have some examples of good investigative journalism the Enquirer has done in recent years?
    They had a great in-depth piece about the lack of toilets at the MidPoint Music Festival this weekend.

{sarcasm}
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

I casually read a lot of stuff there -- links that pop on twitter, blog posts for various local teams they cover.

I'll hit 30 pretty quickly, I think.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

As someone who follows the Bearcats, Reds and generally just got local news from there, I would hit 30 rather quickly. But, I will just check elsewhere for my sports news and only look for local things on there and only read what really seems like it is needed.

Must be a Gannett thing since the Des Moines Register has a similar policy. Only I think their's is 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Newspapers are looking for that silver bullet... Unfortunately for them it doesn't exist. Newspapers just don't fit in well in this 21st century paradigm.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Newspapers are looking for that silver bullet... Unfortunately for them it doesn't exist. Newspapers just don't fit in well in this 21st century paradigm.
    There's also the business case for when you have a dying industry, you simply squeeze whatever profit you can from the late adopting customers by increasing prices and cutting expenses to the bone.

Gannett has made it pretty clear that this is their M.O. They've cut staffs as far as they can and still be credible. THey no longer pay for top talent but rather pay just enough so that veterans aren't as motivated to pick up their boots and head elsewhere.

Now they're acknowledging that they won't be able to grow market share enough to attract advertising, so they're charging a subscription from the last remaining loyal readers they know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Unless I'm missing something, or there's a glitch in the system they've yet to catch, the 30 article limit does not appear to apply to their mobile app.

30 articles is much better than the 10 article limit that the Columbus Dispatch went to a few months ago.

The Enquirer has what has to be one of the worst editors in the business. Even if it wasn't a dying medium I'm certain she'd find a way to shave out dollars from the profit line somehow.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?