Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I hear this right about Chapman's contract?

Did I hear this right about Chapman's contract?

Some time back I think I read a post or article on Chapman's contract. Before I didn't pay much attention too it because, I felt there was no way he would or the Reds would put him in the rotation right out of spring training.

The facts: 6 years $30+ million, Right.

What I think I read. 3 years $30+ million if Chapman breaks camp or is in the rotation before May ???something.

Can anyone clear this up or tell me that whatever I read was incorrect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did I hear this right about Chapman's contract?

I was about to ask the same question. Hopefully someone can clear this up.

Basically if he pitches like a cy young winner he makes more money.

Either way we own him just like any other minor league player. 3 option years, 6 years of service time. Same as any other player.

As much as I hate to say it though, if the current Reds follow their pattern, he'll play like a superstar for a few seasons and than be traded for about 3 rookies. I hope not, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.MojoRisin View Post
    As much as I hate to say it though, if the current Reds follow their pattern, he'll play like a superstar for a few seasons and than be traded for about 3 rookies. I hope not, but....
    Outside of Dunn the reds haven't had any superstars that they have traded in the last 10 years, because the only 3 superstars they had were Larkin, Dunn, and Griffey. And trading Griffey when they did was way past his prime of any usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Basically if he pitches like a cy young winner he makes more money.

Either way we own him just like any other minor league player. 3 option years, 6 years of service time. Same as any other player.

Okay. So no matter what the Reds can keep him up to 6 years? I was under the impression that if he pitched in the big leagues before mid May his contract shorten to 3 years making him a free agent after that.

Then I guess Chapman will be in AAA until the end of May.

This is Chapman's contract, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts website:

6 years/$30.25M (2010-15)

signed by Cincinnati as an amateur free agent 1/11/10

$16.25M signing bonus ($1.5M at signing; $1.5M each Nov. 1, 2010-13; $1.25M each Nov. 1, 2014-20)

10:$1M, 11:$1M, 12:$2M, 13:$2M, 14:$3M, 15:$5M player option
    Chapman must decide whether to accept or decline 2015 player option within 5 days after end of 2014 World Series

if Chapman qualifies for arbitration after 2012, $5M is converted to a bonus and he becomes arbitration-eligible
    if Chapman qualifies for arbitration after 2013, $3M is converted to a bonus and he becomes arbitration-eligible

So, he may be on a 6 year deal, but, $16+ million of it is being paid out over 11 years. It looks like if he qualifies for arb after 2012, he gets the $5 million total from 2013 and 2014 and the 2015 player option goes away.

Some have stated that IF he hits the big club prior to May 15th, he will likely hit Arbitration early, which will then cost us more in the long-run - basically getting to FA earlier and getting more money earlier.

I also read that some said we'd STILL have him through 2016 - still be in arbitration.

Either way, if he's pitching great - say Tim Lincecum great - I expect we would offer him a new longer-term contract and avoid the whole mess of arbitration years.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Outside of Dunn the reds haven't had any superstars that they have traded in the last 10 years, because the only 3 superstars they had were Larkin, Dunn, and Griffey. And trading Griffey when they did was way past his prime of any usefulness.
    Dunn was never a "superstar".
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I work with a guy who says that a lot. When I ask what "superstars" he is talking about, he shuts up.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    I work with a guy who says that a lot. When I ask what "superstars" he is talking about, he shuts up.
    That's the plea of the misinformed. You hear this a lot. "Everytime they get somebody good they just trade him away." It's just not true.

I'm just wondering what they'll do with the ~$22M that could potentially come off the books next year.

IFF Chapman and Leake are ready to step in and give 200+ innings in 2011, your rotation looks like:

Bailey
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Chapman
    Leake

Wood/Maloney knocking on the door/ready for spot duty.

Votto, Cueto, Owings, Bray and Burton are arbitration-eligible, but that's about it, with only Votto and Cueto due for any serious $$ (2-4M).

If you project only rookie salaries to the rest of the roster, it projects to under $48M - and that's WITH Cordero (12) and BP (11) salaries included!
    That is some SERIOUS payflex. Where do we spend it?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I'm just wondering what they'll do with the ~$22M that could potentially come off the books next year.

If you project only rookie salaries to the rest of the roster, it projects to under $48M - and that's WITH Cordero (12) and BP (11) salaries included!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    An All Star caliber shortstop and a big bat for Left field, that's were I start.

You could also use some of it for a new manager!
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post

IFF Chapman and Leake are ready to step in and give 200+ innings in 2011, your rotation looks like:

Bailey
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Chapman
    Leake

Wood/Maloney knocking on the door/ready for spot duty.

Votto, Cueto, Owings, Bray and Burton are arbitration-eligible, but that's about it, with only Votto and Cueto due for any serious $$ (2-4M).

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Im sure a lot of if will be decided with how Brandon Webb responds this year. Basing this off Webbs comments on how he would like to pitch close to his home town and how basically Cincy is the only place with in driving distance from that home.

Turn Off Ads?