Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players from the past who fly under the radar: Lets show them some love

Players from the past who fly under the radar: Lets show them some love

Everyone rememberes the contributions of guys from the Big Red Machine, and then there the obvious choices from the Reds' 1990 World Series team, but lets come up with a list of guys who you don't want to be forgotten. Preferrably, they aren't HOF guys who already get tons of love. Think of guys in Reds history who have put forth their solid contributions, but are in danger of being forgotten.

I'll start with someone: Aaron Boone. Not going to Cooperstown, never a legend or a great ballplayer, but during his time, his abilities in the clutch, and his overall play, were a bright spot for some bad Reds teams.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Players from the past who fly under the radar: Lets show them some love

How about the two Billies from the 1990 WS champs - Hatcher and Bates.

I liked Sammy Ellis and Jim Maloney in the sixties. Also Johnny Edwards. Of course I am a little prejudiced. Sammy Ellis pitched in the first game I ever attended, and Johnny Edwards lived nearby. (That was before the days of multi-million dollar salaries.)

I also really liked Gary Nolan. I remeber the night when he was 19 and struck out 15 Giants in 6 innings. (Willie Mays, 4 times) I don't know if he counts because he was part of the machine.

Glenn Braggs. Anybody who can snap a bat in half on his back is worthy of remembrance.

Steve Parris in 99-2000, put up some solid numbers and was very important in '00.

They were a part of the Big Red Machine, but I never thought they got the credit they deserved. Caesar who roamed CF with grace and Davey who could bounce it to first with the best of them.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Reggie Sanders put together an excellent career. How many players have 300+ HRs and 300+ SBs? Not even Ray Lankford, Eric Davis, Mike Cameron, Ron Gant, Darryl Strawberry, and many other popular major leaguers have managed that.

Sean "The Mayor" Casey. What a great clubhouse presence.
    ----------
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs." - David Daye

Scott Sullivan - a ton of effective innings out of the pen.

Lee May.
    The big bopper was a solid power-hitting first baseman for the Reds in late
    60's & early 70's who ultimately was a centerpiece of the trade with Houston after the '71 season that brought Morgan, Geronimo, Billingham & Menke to the Reds. May had a solid career through the rest of the 70's playing for the Astros and Orioles (retired in '82 after 2 years with Royals).
    Whether the Reds management knew something, or fell into some dumb luck, trading May was a classic example of selling high at the right time. After hitting 38, 34 & 39 HRs in '69-'71, he was traded in '71 at age 28 and never hit 30 HRs again (although he still hit 20 or more each of the next 7 years).
    Of course, we know the return on that trade was very favorable to Cincy as it put into place some key cogs of the Big Red Machine.
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I loved Bip Roberts
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Utility OF and Middletown, Ohio's own, Thomas "Tank" Howard. 4 seasons with the Reds including a career year in 95 when he helped the Reds make their last playoff appearance.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Sun_Valley_King

Looking for a little help

I am putting together a compilation of MLB team victory songs, and I was wondering if anyone knows that song that they play after a Reds home victory. Thanks in advance.

RotoHester

Hal Morris was hands down one of my favorite players during his time w/the Reds. Bip Roberts was another high up on my list.

I have always appreciated the work of Chris Stynes as a member of the REDS.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Turn Off Ads?