Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good News On Homer

Good News On Homer

Cincinnati's Homer Bailey struck out three in two scoreless innings. ``Homer looked outstanding,'' Baker said. ``He was controlling that outside of the plate, low and away. He had good tempo, good rhythm. He had good velocity. He threw some good breaking balls. He should be pleased with it.''
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/game/2010030...117?type=recap

So far so good for Homer. Reds' rotation flashing some serious potential early.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Good News On Homer

We're looking great thus far. I cannot wait!

-Matt

How do you not pull for a pitcher named Homer!

All indications from the 2nd call-up last year to now, indicate Homer is becoming what we all hoped for. My question is: why did it take another Minor League Pitcher, to teach him the pitch that seems to be the difference maker?

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    All indications from the 2nd call-up last year to now, indicate Homer is becoming what we all hoped for. My question is: why did it take another Minor League Pitcher, to teach him the pitch that seems to be the difference maker?
    Who are you referencing?

I love Homer. I think he will be the opening day starter next year. If not its political. Homer is gonna be good for a long time, and hopefully its in a Reds uniform.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I could be mistaken, but I think he was referring to Justin Lehr teaching him a splitter sometime during the 2009 season.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    This is becoming a pretty common misconception. Bailey as much as says so in an Enquirer article the other day
    "Bailey picked up a new pitch midway through last year, a split-finger he learned in Louisville from teammate Justin Lehr. Bailey downplays the splitter’s impact on his late-season success.

“(Media) have made too much of that. I pitched a few good games where I only threw it three times.’’
    The article in question
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...s+all+grown+up
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Mike Leake and Travis Wood with two scoreless innings each today. They had identical lines:
    2 IP 1H 0R 1BB 1K. For the spring Wood has tossed four scoreless innings giving up just one hit. Leake has work three scoreless inning giving up a lone hit as well. It's early but whoever gets the fifth spot is going to have to earn it this year.

Nice outing by Mike Lincoln today. Two scoreless and hitless frames while striking out two.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    This is becoming a pretty common misconception. Bailey as much as says so in an Enquirer article the other day

The article in question
    He also threw it to get out of some big jams, I remember him freezing Pujols with it in an early jam against the Cardinals, when we later pulled him and pitched to Pujols with a 3 run lead late in the game...and Stormy made it rain a grand slam.

The splitter may not have been used a ton every game, but it was definitely an available strike out pitch, which gives a pitcher a ton more confidence knowing he can bring it out if needed.

I've seen a couple outlets talk about Bailey's change in attitude this year, which I find kind of confusing. Last year, I remember Hal and Fay both talking about how much Bailey had matured and changed his demeanor.

That aside, I'm incredibly excited to see if Bailey can duplicate his performance down the stretch last season. If the Reds make any sort of run, they absolutely need a confident, pitch-efficient Bailey.

Hal McCoy took a hatchet to Homer every chance he got the last 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Hal McCoy took a hatchet to Homer every chance he got the last 3 years.
    Yes, he did. Journalistic standards didn't mean all that much to Hal when it came to Homer Bailey.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-11-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    Who are you referencing?

I love Homer. I think he will be the opening day starter next year. If not its political. Homer is gonna be good for a long time, and hopefully its in a Reds uniform.
    Justin Lehr, taught Homer the splitter. Read the papers last year when Homer came back, and "got it"? Albeit, his 95+ velocity returned also....

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post

The article in question
    He can say whatever, but last season during his successful return, that was all everybody in the media talked about, and was likely what hitters had in mind when they faced him. Yes, velocity returned, but without the threat of something else, speed would not be enough.

Turn Off Ads?