Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The only reason you need to know why Chapman will start in the Minors...

Re: The only reason you need to know why Chapman will start in the Minors...

Who would have thought that at June 1 we would not "need" him. There really is not a place for him. If Bailey comes back at the end of his 15 days strong and ready and the other four continue to be effective, then Chapman can remain in AAA and get much needed expereince. The only reason to bring him up would be if he was needed and he isn't at this point, at least as a starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    At times Johnny Cueto falls off to the first base side. Seems like that would be an easy fix, but I guess not.
    It is all muscle memory and focus. When young guys get tired or lose some of their focus they revert back to bad habits, although not intentionally.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

We could have used him last night in the 7th and 8th inning though!!
    As long as he isn't walking guys he could be a great middle relief/set up guy.

Now that Chapman has avoided super two status, there is no difference in bringing him up now, or the begining of next year. I think the Reds would be smart to bring him up to pitch out of the pen. Unless of course, they think there is a chance he will start 2011 in AAA.

I expect Chapman to get a spot start soon (in June), if Lecure has a bad outing (against St Louis) he may go back down and Chapman could see a start followed by Bailey.

anyone think about bringing Chapman up at the latest possible day...the day playoff rosters are set? I say this "if" the Reds dont really need him.....be bringing him up late you dont give opposing teams a good look at him.....sometimes it always seems flamethrowers do well until they have pitched a few rounds and all teams have a good book on said pitcher. what say ye all?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    Who would have thought that at June 1 we would not "need" him. There really is not a place for him. If Bailey comes back at the end of his 15 days strong and ready and the other four continue to be effective, then Chapman can remain in AAA and get much needed expereince. The only reason to bring him up would be if he was needed and he isn't at this point, at least as a starter.
    The Reds have Chapman, Volquez, Lecure, Wood, and Maloney in the wings, but no room for even one of them. IMO they will need to evaluate their talent and make some moves. If Maloney and Wood are never going to get a shot, at least one should be traded for younger, high-ceiling prospects, or maybe a reliable middle reliever.
    Last edited by Roush's socks; 06-03-2010 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    Now that Chapman has avoided super two status, there is no difference in bringing him up now, or the begining of next year. I think the Reds would be smart to bring him up to pitch out of the pen. Unless of course, they think there is a chance he will start 2011 in AAA.
    You do not bring Chapman up into the pen until he has gotten a large number of innings starting in the minors. At least if you want him to be in the majors next year without much of an innings limit on him. If you bring him up to the bullpen before he has gotten at least 100+ innings starting down in AAA then he will have a much lower innings cap on him next season.

The less innings he gets in pitching this year (under his inning cap area which is probably ~130-150 based on his workload in cuba), then the more times he gets skipped/earlier he gets shut down next year.

I am not a big believer of the Verducci Effect, but I do believe you want to not have a pitcher go from 100 IP to 170 or 200. If you brought Chapman up anytime this month, and put him in the bullpen, then he would be limited to around 100 innings for this year. This is definitely not in his or the clubs interest for the next couple years if we want to use him as a starter.

Now once he gets up into the 100-120 IP region, then by all means, if he is needed in the bullpen then bring him up. If we could bring him up like David Price, getting his work in AAA and bringing him up for the bullpen in time for the playoff roster, that would probably be optimal.
    Last edited by Quatitos; 06-03-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    BTW, Yonder's going to have to have one heck of a June to get to the Majors by July 9th. Looks like Yonder's staying in AAA for the rest of the AAA season, or September 1st, whichever the REDS deem best for the team and him.

I missed that prediction.
    I like pizza!

can't wait for u to pay up!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

i know this thread is about chapman, but i gotta ask Kings a question about Yonder.....what is/was it about Yonder that made you think he was so good or would be up here so fast?

I ask the question with the utmost respect. not knocking your prediction or opinion at all...I have seen him several times now in person and not once has he made me think he was a MLB caliber player......he appears to me as a guy who benefited greatly by aluminum bats. Thats just my opinion. He appeard to me as nothing more than a lifer minor player.....NOW, he is still young and can still change many of opinions, he could still end up being the best Red of all time.....just wondering Kings....since the Reds drafted him you have been singing his praises and I just was wondering what it was that you seen/saw in him.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    i know this thread is about chapman, but i gotta ask Kings a question about Yonder.....what is/was it about Yonder that made you think he was so good or would be up here so fast?
    #1 is his approach to his at-bats. Not Dunn-like where he lets a great pitch go by and then strike out later, but ends up with an overall very good OPS, but he'll do whatever's needed based upon the circumstance....almost anti-Dunn.

#2 is his swing. He just makes contact most of the time.

He had the injury last year and that basically cost him half the season, which he didn't have time to give up anyway. This year he's been asked to go play a position he shouldn't be playing (because Votto won't be moved off of 1st Base even though Votto could play Left Field a whole heck of a lot better than Adam Dunn). Votto's turned out to be a great fielder at 1st Base, so that's probably a good thing to leave him there.

Alonso really needs to just reach the Majors and then get traded. We'll get more for him after he reaches the Majors then we will right now. A "good" proven player will garner more in a trade than a "good" prospect.

Anyway, I love his swing and his clutchness with the bat.

He's an RBI-machine. He'll approach 1000 RBI's in his Major League career. I'll be shocked if he gets 600 or less.

To put things in perspective, Eric Davis had 934 RBI's in his 17 seasons.

Turn Off Ads?