Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Parenting and Scary Movies

Parenting and Scary Movies

At what age would you say is a good time to introduce kids to scary movies, primarily leaning toward the Classic Universal movie monsters like Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, etc.

I know that my dad started allowing me to watch films like Halloween and Friday the 13th with him starting when I was 3 years old. I know most people would say that's crazy, but he always took the time to explain to me that it's not real, and that it's just pretend. He gave me a love for horror movies, and I'm curious how I should approach things with my own son.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Parenting and Scary Movies

My son watched some of the Universal movies at about age 9 maybe. He didn't show the interest until then. He had just started reading Goosebumps stories. He is 12 now, and wants to watch things like Saw, but I won't let him. Suppose it depends on the child.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Suppose it depends on the child.
    True. Most of what I watched when I was very young were the edited versions that were on TV at the time. As I got older, my parents viewed the movies prior to watching them with me.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

You might be able to tell based on how your child reacts when something scary comes on TV. My older son is 7 and I know there are some things he just shouldn't watch because they'll give him nightmares. A lot of times, when we're watching some show or movie during prime time, an ad for a horror movie will come on and he'll start covering his eyes and we'll have to mute the TV. It can be annoying when we're watching something that is supposed to be family fare and an ad for one of the Saw movies comes on.

Over time I've learned that kids can be scared by different things. Our son can watch movies about dinosaurs and the Harry Potter movies, but forget about anything with vampires or werewolves. I try to figure out what he can handle beforehand by talking to him about something that might be scary and finding out if it bothers him.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    You might be able to tell based on how your child reacts when something scary comes on TV. My older son is 7 and I know there are some things he just shouldn't watch because they'll give him nightmares. A lot of times, when we're watching some show or movie during prime time, an ad for a horror movie will come on and he'll start covering his eyes and we'll have to mute the TV. It can be annoying when we're watching something that is supposed to be family fare and an ad for one of the Saw movies comes on.

Over time I've learned that kids can be scared by different things. Our son can watch movies about dinosaurs and the Harry Potter movies, but forget about anything with vampires or werewolves. I try to figure out what he can handle beforehand by talking to him about something that might be scary and finding out if it bothers him.
    When someone like your son has a dad who looks like a Reptile Man, I would imagine he can handle more than your average bear from scary movies.

BTW, I agree about commercials. The garbage Fox would show during the World Series would tick me off to no end, whether it was scary stuff or risque ads for their junk they broadcast. When my kids were little, it was very frustrating.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

My way around the commercials is that I don't have TV (old television, no cable converter box or that HD thing they were giving away), so I stick to DVD or watching shows online.

Turn Off Ads?