Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Selig, committee considers radical realignment plan

Selig, committee considers radical realignment plan

Perhaps the title of the article should read "Selig, committee consider ways to destroy baseball". This idea is even worse than the awful one they came up with back in the 90s...

When baseball commissioner Bud Selig named a 14-person "special committee for on-field matters" four months ago, he promised that all topics would be in play and "there are no sacred cows." The committee already has made good on Selig's promise by discussing a radical form of "floating" realignment in which teams would not be fixed to a division, but free to change divisions from year-to-year based on geography, payroll and their plans to contend or not.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0hn9q7hMg
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Selig, committee considers radical realignment plan

Their plans to contend or not?

ugh.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I've heard of some dumb ideas before, but this one takes the cake.

Actually monetarily it makes sense. If you are rebuilding, or sucking, why not bring in the most income possible. If at the start of the season you know you have little chance of competing why not have the Yankees and Red Sox come to your park 9-10 times each? Granted this will never work and be an abysmal failure if tried, I do see some logic behind it.

Whoever came up with that idea should be drug tested. That may be the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

While this plan is seemingly ill-thought out, I've said it once and I'll say it again. Being in a 6 team division puts the Reds at a disadvantage, especially when you consider there is a 4 team division out there...I'd love to have an intelligent plan put forth.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    While this plan is seemingly ill-thought out, I've said it once and I'll say it again. Being in a 6 team division puts the Reds at a disadvantage, especially when you consider there is a 4 team division out there...I'd love to have an intelligent plan put forth.

I'm not in favor of floating teams around every year. But I don't see why there shouldn't be re-examination and re-alignment every three or four years.

The current alignment has one 6-team division. It has teams in the AL East competing every year with the Yanks and Red Sox who spend more. Some teams would like more games against teams that will attract more fans.

I don't see a problem with taking a fresh look at the divisional set up every few years.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-10-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    OK ... set a salary cap at $100 million (really, the Red Sox and Yankees are the only clubs ruining competitive balance) ... set a salary floor at $50 million. Establish a global draft. Implement a mandatory slotting system for draft picks.

Competitive balance ensues.

Of course, the union won't go for it, and baseball secretly loves that the Yankees and Red Sox make the playoffs every season. They don't care about Toronto or Tampa Bay. So none of this, as obvious as it is, will happen anytime soon.

Cap signing bonuses at $1M

I agree on a floor and ceiling. disagree on international draft. It's impractical, and could lead to less talent actually. Imagine the D.R. not having FA players. Now imagine them going into the draft in round 35. Less incentive for that 16 year old to play. The drive is the one thing they have that ups their talent. Japan doesn't allow the U.S. to draft its players.

I just doubt we ever see it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Bud Selig baseball's answer to New Coke

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

NL East:
    NY
    Phi
    Pitt
    Wash

NL North:
    Chi
    Cin
    Mil
    StL

NL South:
    Atl
    Col
    FL
    Hou

NL West:
    AZ
    LA
    SD
    SF

That took me about 4 minutes. You're welcome, Mr. Selig.

Colorado is misplaced there

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    NL East:
    NY
    Phi
    Pitt
    Wash

NL North:
    Chi
    Cin
    Mil
    StL

NL South:
    Atl
    Col
    FL
    Hou

NL West:
    AZ
    LA
    SD
    SF

That took me about 4 minutes. You're welcome, Mr. Selig.
    Interesting but then what about the AL? I think the best way to do it is simply move Houston to the NL west and Colorado or Arizona (Col would be my choice) to the AL West. Walaa exact alignment. The only problem then becomes what to do with that one team in each league who doesn't have a dance partner everyday. Well why not spread out the interleague play over the whole season randomizing it, instead of bunching it all up into one month? Should make it interesting when the Mets and Yankees play that subway series for the last series of the season when one or both are fighting for their playoff lives. Could you imagine what the talk would be if the Mets kept the Yankees out of the playoffs one time? Unlikely but kinda cool.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If you're going pure geography, the alignment is probably best as:

NL EAST: CIN, NYM, PHI, PIT
    NL SOUTH: ATL, HOU, FLA, WAS
    NL MIDW: CHI, COL, MIL, STL
    NL WEST: ARI, LA, SD, SF
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well, the Rockies kind of sit out on their own geographically. I suppose you could move them to the North and St. Louis to the South.

Turn Off Ads?