Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leake

Leake

Reading the article about Leake got me thinking.

It's early but if he keeps this up, he may very well land the 5th spot. He seems to have that intangible going for him that he knows how to pitch and get people out with location. Sort of a Greg Maddux quality. Not overpowering stuff like Bailey, Cueto, and Chapman. But he just might be able to hold his own especially with the improved infield defense and the amount of ground balls he throws. He's flying under the radar with all the focus on Strasburg and Chapman, but he just may outperform them both because he's more of a pitcher at a young age. I'm pulling for him to be
    the 5th starter. That may be the best possible scenario for the staff if Leake comes out on top. It let's Chapman continue to work on control with his off speed stuff in AAA until a trade is made or someone comes down with an injury. and it positions a control type ground ball pitcher after a power pitcher in the rotation to mix things up.

Harang
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake

with Chapman as the first alternate from AAA.

This team should contend with that starting pitching. Imagine Chapman out of the pen in the playoffs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Leake

I'm firmly on the Leake bandwagon. He basically was the best college pitcher in last years draft and has better stuff than people are willing to admit.

I expect Maloney to get every chance to win that 5th spot though. Bump some trade value for Maloney in the process.

At this point, Wood is looking good too. So you have some nice options for the fifth starter with Wood, Chapman and Leake. Maloney might be in the conversation too. It is still early in Spring Training, but if all four of these guys keep it up, 1) Owings is probably going to be coming out of the pen and 2) it is going to be a tough decision for the front office.

I am hoping Leake and Wood both keep pitching great like they have been. If they do then I am pulling for Wood to get the 5th spot. Get him in and see how he does before its too late and never gets the chance when Leake and Chapman take over. I think he can be very solid for us. And Leake could use part of a season in AAA.

I'd like for Leake to get more than a couple of months in his minor league career under his belt before hes brought up to Cincy. I would go with Wood first then maybe give Leake a shot in a couple more months if he's doing well.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

I called it right after we drafted him. I followed him and saw him pitch in the CWS.

Some people told me I was crazy, but I said he could EASILY be in the starting rotation in 2010. He's that polished. Not fancy or "crazy stuff" but control and 4 plus pitches.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I was very impressed with Leake during his college careers, one of the best college pitchers I have ever seen. I like the problem our staff/FO has in front of them, the talent they have to choose from, a good problem to have!!!!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

yeah i saw him pitch agaisnt the angels and he looked impressive

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I called it right after we drafted him. I followed him and saw him pitch in the CWS.

Some people told me I was crazy, but I said he could EASILY be in the starting rotation in 2010. He's that polished. Not fancy or "crazy stuff" but control and 4 plus pitches.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    This is what I'm saying too. How much development time does he need if he already has control of 4 pitches and has a good mental approach to pitching? He could surprise.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I can't remember when the Reds last had this many major league quality starting pitching options. What a breathe of fresh air.

I honestly don't see it, though anything is obviously possible. I just don't think the Reds will rush Leake to the majors, especially when they have other options with much more professional experience (e.g. Matt Maloney).

With Chapman, there is definitely a sense of urgency to get him to the majors. The Reds handed out a large contract and with all the hype he is generating, fans will want to see him sooner than later. On ESPN, one Reds source told one of the talking heads that the Reds are inclined to push Chapman to the majors to get more fans in the seats, especially after all these losing seasons. Although Leake is an excellent prospect, there's nowhere near the hype or urgency with him as there is with Chapman. Even if Leake blows everyone away in spring training, I still see him spending at least a couple months in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by MBZags View Post
    I honestly don't see it, though anything is obviously possible. I just don't think the Reds will rush Leake to the majors, especially when they have other options with much more professional experience (e.g. Matt Maloney).

With Chapman, there is definitely a sense of urgency to get him to the majors. The Reds handed out a large contract and with all the hype he is generating, fans will want to see him sooner than later. On ESPN, one Reds source told one of the talking heads that the Reds are inclined to push Chapman to the majors to get more fans in the seats, especially after all these losing seasons. Although Leake is an excellent prospect, there's nowhere near the hype or urgency with him as there is with Chapman. Even if Leake blows everyone away in spring training, I still see him spending at least a couple months in the minors.
    This couldn't be more backwards, IMO.

Chapman - purely by contract considerations alone, will not be up before June.

I'm saying Leake can WIN the #5 starter this Spring. Heck, I thought he could have joined the rotation last August, but his arm was a bit tired so they shut him down.
    Nobody is RUSHING Leake. He's major league ready stuff-wise, and his control is top-notch. Many many people said he was the most polished pitcher in last years draft.

Maloney still needs work IMO, and didn't look good at all in his last outing. He's more of a fly ball guy whereas Leake is more of a groundball guy. Tell me which one plays better in GABP?
    I think Maloney would play better in a bigger fly-ball friendly AL club personally.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

How nice is it to be having this discussion? Seems like yesterday we had kip wells, ramon ortiz, the lizzard competing for three spots. Now we haue chapman, wood, leake amd many others just 4 the 5 spot! If volquez wasnt hurt there wouldnt even have been room for any of them. Bailey wouldnt have got his extended look and let him grow into the pitcher we are now seeing. Its exciting and a great problem to have.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Kinda' like, Arroyo, eh? Just finds a way to throw 200+ Innings, and win 15 or more games? I'll take that, especially if he doesn't wait until to July to get sharp. Then, it might be more like 17+ wins.

This couldn't be more backwards, IMO.

Chapman - purely by contract considerations alone, will not be up before June.

I'm saying Leake can WIN the #5 starter this Spring. Heck, I thought he could have joined the rotation last August, but his arm was a bit tired so they shut him down.
    Nobody is RUSHING Leake. He's major league ready stuff-wise, and his control is top-notch. Many many people said he was the most polished pitcher in last years draft.

Maloney still needs work IMO, and didn't look good at all in his last outing. He's more of a fly ball guy whereas Leake is more of a groundball guy. Tell me which one plays better in GABP?
    I think Maloney would play better in a bigger fly-ball friendly AL club personally.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    My point is more that of the two pitchers, Chapman stands the better chance of breaking camp with the team. I'm not saying he will, though.

I think taking a college pitcher and putting him practically straight in the majors is rushing him. Virtually no one makes that big of a step, and the Reds really don't need to when they have other serviceable pitchers for the fifth spot. After all, most, if not all, fans will not cry foul if Leake doesn't start in the majors. Some will, though, if Chapman starts in AA or AAA. Plus, why give Leake the job and start his clock now, when the Reds don't even know how he'll do against MLB talent? I, and likely the Reds too, would at least like to see how Leake's stuff translates against professional talent, and spring training is not the place to make that judgment. Baseball America even said that he has little margin for error when pitching. Because of Chapman's potential 100 mph fastball and the rest of his repertoire, he has more room for error at the MLB level.

Of course, the lack of experience against professional hitting is the same problem with Chapman. Also, putting him straight in the majors can be seen as rushing him, too. However, like I said, the Reds know he has the electric stuff needed to get MLB hitters out. Granted, he isn't as polished as Leake when it comes to command. Thus, Chapman may not be ready, and he may not start in the majors, either. That being said, the Reds certainly feel more pressure from fans/media/potential ticket sales to justify Chapman (and his contract) than to justify Leake, which could accelerate the former's path to the majors. I'm not saying it's fair, but I just think that's how the Reds will handle Chapman. Of the two, I just see Chapman making the majors first. I agree, though, that it's a mistake to start Chapman in the majors if the report from Jeff Passan about Chapman's contract is correct.

Maloney pitched well enough down the stretch last season that the Reds are going to give him a very hard look in spring training. He's a serviceable 5th starter who has proven he can get MLB hitters out. Alluding to Dusty's comments earlier in the spring, it seems like the Reds value experience over young talent when making roster decisions. Moreover, Maloney also seems to have enough "stuff" to get by in the majors. Although his style may not be conducive to GABP, I don't think that's going to stop the Reds from using him. Both Bill James and CHONE project Maloney to have around a 4.50 ERA next season, a number that I'll take any day of the week from a fifth starter. These projections are fallible, to be sure, but Maloney is decent enough to at least begin the season as the team's fifth starter.

Turn Off Ads?