Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leake

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Leake

Glad we got so many options since Harang and Arroyo will be gone after this season.

Cueto
    Bailey
    Leake
    Volquez
    Chapman

Maloney
    Wood
    Lehr

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it is going to be pretty cool to see Bailey, Chapman and Volquez throwing major heat and then bring in someone like Herrara throwing junk at 70mph. And then bring in Cordero to throw heat again.

not sure if I ever have been this excited about a Reds pitching staff in my liffe....I remember just back 6-8 years ago when all the talk around the league was how bad our staff was from A-AAA to the Reds....now it looks like we could have a few MLB ready pitchers pitching in the minors for a while.....I am not even sure there is another team that can say that.

Lets just hope our hitting keeps us close.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Glad we got so many options since Harang and Arroyo will be gone after this season.

Cueto
    Bailey
    Leake
    Volquez
    Chapman

Maloney
    Wood
    Lehr

So mesmerized by that rotation I forgot to post.

That is a World Series caliber rotation right there. I see them cracking the playoffs in 2010 and then mowing everyone down in 2011 when Volquez is back.

Leake - 2 more scoreless innings today with 4 K's.

I know it was 2 late innings so he was facing minor league hitters most likely, but that along with the AFL performance just shows how he will dominate at AAA. I'd like to see him get Lincoln's next start and let him go 3 or 4 innings against major leaguers.

Me too.

I guess they will let Bronson walk no matter what after this season. I kinda like Bronson and his rubber arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Me too.

I guess they will let Bronson walk no matter what after this season. I kinda like Bronson and his rubber arm.

Question is who are you going to sit next year to let Bronson pitch? The kids in this organization are so gifted that your going to have to let them play. I suspect in a year or two it will be like, Bronson who?
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I'd for sure let Harang go - in fact I'd look to trade him at the ASB, whether we are in contention or not. Leake, Chapman, Wood; any one of them should be ready by then.

Arroyo, I don't know. $11M for 200+ IP guaranteed, ERA somewhere in the low 4.xx. I'd opt to keep him if I had my druthers. I think a lot of it depends on how Volquez comes back. Unless they can assure me they are going to spend it at catcher or SS, I'm not sure what we're going to do with any payflex. It would be beyond nice to have one veteran in there who you know can go every 5th day no matter what.

We sure do have a ton of pitching at this point. Man, we need to look at some trades to get some reliable offense on this roster!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Yeah, with the likes of the following, I guess I won't miss Arroyo:

Cueto
    Bailey
    Chapman
    Leake
    Wood
    Maloney
    Lehr

I suspect Harang, Arroyo, and Owings will all be gone at the ASB if we're out of contention and the young guys are showing positive signs. We'll probably trade them for more young pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I'd for sure let Harang go - in fact I'd look to trade him at the ASB, whether we are in contention or not. Leake, Chapman, Wood; any one of them should be ready by then.

Arroyo, I don't know. $11M for 200+ IP guaranteed, ERA somewhere in the low 4.xx. I'd opt to keep him if I had my druthers. I think a lot of it depends on how Volquez comes back. Unless they can assure me they are going to spend it at catcher or SS, I'm not sure what we're going to do with any payflex. It would be beyond nice to have one veteran in there who you know can go every 5th day no matter what.

We sure do have a ton of pitching at this point. Man, we need to look at some trades to get some reliable offense on this roster!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Maybe it's a couple years early but they would use the pay flex to lock up Votto, Bruce, Cueto and Bailey. They would hit free agency after 2012 or 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Maybe it's a couple years early but they would use the pay flex to lock up Votto, Bruce, Cueto and Bailey. They would hit free agency after 2012 or 2013?
    Good point. I think Votto, Cueto, Owings and Burton are the only ones up for Arbitration after 2010 - and I don't think we need to worry about Owings and Burton much.
    Bruce and Bailey aren't scheduled to be eligible until after 2011, along with Volquez.

That would make the first group eligible for free agency after 2014, and the second 2015. But I know what you are saying, if they continue to develop on schedule we'll probably want to lock them up long-term and buy-out some of the arbitration/FA years in the process.

Even on the high-end if you figure $4-6M for the first couple years of Arbitration for the guys mentioned above, we are still scheduled to be at only about $48M going into 2011 - and that is with BP's $11M and Cordero's $12M figured in. That's a good $25M+ of payflex.

Then entering 2012 we have another $23M freed up if we let BP and Cordero walk. Scheduled payroll looks to be only $40M or so in 2012 with the current crop. That is A LOT of payflex - especially if we are starting to win and can easily support an $80-85M payroll.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I know it is never fun discuss contracts, but to maximize the value of our pitching assets, it is my hope that Chapman or Leake do not see the majors until June at the absolute earliest.

The fact of the matter is, barring injuries, they are going to be the 5th starter. By my calculations our 5th starter is only slated to make 5 starts combined in April and May. I can't see pitching that infrequently benefitting either one of them and I don't like the idea of risking Super 2 status and its financial ramifications simply for 5 starts.

Next year the Reds with the 3 & 4 starter slots being available, I would love them to get a full year of development and step in.

I realize it is extremely rare for every one of these guys to develop to their ceiling and avoid injuries but I think a rotation of Bailey, Cueto, Chapman, Leake & Wood or Volquez has the potential to be the best pitch rotation the Reds have had, dare I say EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I know it is never fun discuss contracts, but to maximize the value of our pitching assets, it is my hope that Chapman or Leake do not see the majors until June at the absolute earliest.

The fact of the matter is, barring injuries, they are going to be the 5th starter. By my calculations our 5th starter is only slated to make 5 starts combined in April and May. I can't see pitching that infrequently benefitting either one of them and I don't like the idea of risking Super 2 status and its financial ramifications simply for 5 starts.
    Oh, you know that is DEFINITELY on the minds of the brass.

Although, they did let Cueto start his first season out of the gate two years ago... (he has 2.00000 years of service), he won't be a super2, he'll have 3.0 years of service after this year and be eligible for arbitration.

Maloney has the upper hand IMO based on this type of thought process. He's already got his service clock started, and he doesn't project to have as much production as these guys, so we can afford to get him to Arb early since a) we don't expect to pay too much if we do take him to arb, and b) he probably doesn't fit into our long-term plans anyways, so we might opt to let him leave.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I Would trade both players to get something in return, but our future rotation looks mighty good

Cueto
    Chapman
    Volquez
    Leake
    Bailey

Turn Off Ads?