Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Any Minor League Players Make The Team?

Will Any Minor League Players Make The Team?

During the off season a lot of various players were mentioned by many of us along with their positive performance attributes.

Now that spring training is underway and moving forward do you see or feel that any of the minor league players that any of us mentioned will be actually making the Reds team out of spring training?

It doesn’t appear that there would be sufficient playing time for them and thus it will be assumed that they and the Reds will be better off with them getting playing time in the minors. Whether that is a positive or not I have no idea, my question is about our discussions and if any of those players discussed will even make the team after all that was said and done.

Examples of players that were talked of. Frazier, Heisey, Maloney, Francisco, I am sure that there were others that some will be aware of, that escape my recall at this moment.

Are their any of the minor league players discussed at length that will make the team?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Any Minor League Players Make The Team?

I predict Maloney will make the team as the #5 SP. He will make the first 6-7 starts in that spot until Chapman is recalled after May 15. This also allows Owings to be the long man/PH.

I don't see any of the position player prospects making the team intially; we all know Dusty will campaign for vets in the bench spots.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

I get the feeling Frazier is making the most headway on the position side, but I don't think we'll see any of those guys break with the big club.

EDR in a similar spot on the pitching side.

Agree that no rookies will "go north."
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I'm still holding out hope for Frazier to stick as the super-utility IF and back-up in LF.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think Maloney will win the #5 job and agree that Frazier is in the running with Miles and Sutton for the utility role.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

this is a trick question; if they make the team, they won't be minor league players...

Frazier starting at 1b today, with Votto DH'ing, so, yeah, I still think Frazier has a chance to stick as a super-sub. Back-up at every IF position and in LF? And Frazier can hit? I am really pulling for him.

Frazier starting at 1b today, with Votto DH'ing, so, yeah, I still think Frazier has a chance to stick as a super-sub. Back-up at every IF position and in LF? And Frazier can hit? I am really pulling for him.
    Me too. What I'm thinking is that it makes sense for the team, in a way, to get a rookie onto the club this year so that they don't have a massive influx next year. For $$$ purposes, you kind of want to avoid a bubble whereby a bunch of players hit arbitration at the same time. It could be that 2011 is shaping up as a logical time to graduate several players, including Frazier, Leake, Wood, Cozart, EDR, Ondrusek and Heisey. Getting one of those out ahead of the tidal wave could be wise.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I don't think Jocketty brought Aaron Miles to Cincy to cut him. I think he plans on having him on the roster, so I don't think any of the younger guys are going to stick as a utility infielder. Here are a couple of Jocketty's quotes about Miles.

"(Miles) is another one of these guys that's a winner," said Jocketty, who acquired Miles from the Rockies before 2006, when the Cardinals won the World Series. "I think it's important to bring in guys, I heard more and more from our young players that the influence that Rolen had on them, the way he played the game and the attitude he takes. Orlando's that way and Aaron's that way. It helps to bring in these guys to help with these young players."

AND

Jocketty came from St. Louis, where Miles was part of the Cardinals' 2006 World Series champions. He batted .318 for St. Louis in 2008, and is pegged as a backup infielder in Cincinnati.

"He played an important role in that club in 2006 when (David) Eckstein got hurt late in season and we were without a shortstop," Jocketty said. "He played flawlessly at short. He's played all the positions except catcher and first base."

I get that, but I am sure as heck not rooting for it. This team is better with Todd Frazier on it than Aaron Miles.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I think it will be the same as it ever was- all borderline guys with options go back down, and vets make the opening day roster. After the vets show a certain amount of ineptitude, they are released (or accept assignment to Louisville) and then the young guys some up, usually around the first of June.

I hope that I am pleasantly surprised, and that Frazier makes the team over Miles.
    Last edited by Always Red; 03-12-2010 at 11:59 AM.

I don't see Frazier making the team unless he is playing every day. I think he is one of the top 25 players in the system, but think playing every day trumps him spending time on the major league pine.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't see Frazier making the team unless he is playing every day. I think he is one of the top 25 players in the system, but think playing every day trumps him spending time on the major league pine.
    And I would do it different. I think he's ready for the bigs, and the team benefits from his availability up north. I don't know that he gets much out of another AAA tour. There comes a point where prospects have to make the club. Plenty of prospects used to come north as back-ups before working into regular gigs. No reason that Frazier cannot do that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Me too. What I'm thinking is that it makes sense for the team, in a way, to get a rookie onto the club this year so that they don't have a massive influx next year. For $$$ purposes, you kind of want to avoid a bubble whereby a bunch of players hit arbitration at the same time. It could be that 2011 is shaping up as a logical time to graduate several players, including Frazier, Leake, Wood, Cozart, EDR, Ondrusek and Heisey. Getting one of those out ahead of the tidal wave could be wise.
    Great point, lollipop, and one I hadn't considered. I'd love to see Frazier make them take him north. (And I think Jocketty and company will, if he continues to hit the ball like he has.)

But, IMO, it'll take a pretty remakable spring by Frazier to do it. Jocketty's plan, IMO, is to take Miles and Janish north. And you can see why, too. Janish has the glove-- Miles has... veteran-ness (and a track record of being both a good teammate and a player Jocketty likes).
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I get that, but I am sure as heck not rooting for it. This team is better with Todd Frazier on it than Aaron Miles.
    I agree with you.

Turn Off Ads?