Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Johnny Cueto huge key to Reds' season

ESPN: Johnny Cueto huge key to Reds' season

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- With the fervor of an angry mime, Reds pitching coach Bryan Price imitated a delivery toward home plate in the Cincinnati bullpen. First, Price lifted his leg slowly, then twisted his hips before finally finishing with a fury toward home.

"Trust location," Price told Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column..._jr&id=4985743
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN: Johnny Cueto huge key to Reds' season

Great article by Jorge Arangure. He's by far my favorite writer on ESPN. I thought this was interesting:

"I was a little tired because I had pitched so much," Cueto said. "First it was winter league, then the World Baseball Classic and then spring training and then the regular season. My arm was so tired that my ball had no life to it."
    That was always my theory on why his numbers dropped off so sharply in the middle of last season. I really think the extra rest will do him some good this season.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Great article by Jorge Arangure. He's by far my favorite writer on ESPN. I thought this was interesting:

That was always my theory on why his numbers dropped off so sharply in the middle of last season. I really think the extra rest will do him some good this season.
    I agree. I think Cueto makes the biggest jump of the Reds SP this year.

I think Bruce, Bailey and Cueto all of have potential to be the "key" to this season. If more than one of them breaks out at the same time, we could see a lot more wins than we're accustomed to here.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think Bruce, Bailey and Cueto all of have potential to be the "key" to this season. If more than one of them breaks out at the same time, we could see a lot more wins than we're accustomed to here.
    I put more importance on Bruce and Bailey than I do Cueto. To be honest I think Cueto is at worst a .500 pitcher this season. But I think both Bruce and Bailey have a more impressive upside than Cueto does but I also think they are bigger question marks.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Did any one else notice that they had Justin Lehr projected as our fifth starter? I have to figure he is the fourth favorite to win the job behind Owings, Maloney and Chapman (not necessarily in that order), but I understand that this a subject of another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Did any one else notice that they had Justin Lehr projected as our fifth starter? I have to figure he is the fourth favorite to win the job behind Owings, Maloney and Chapman (not necessarily in that order), but I understand that this a subject of another thread.
    He ended the season in the 5th spot with Owings ending the season in the pen. Chapman was also a big question mark by the time this article was probably due.

But I do agree with you, Lehr is a long shot to get the 5th spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Kip Wells might be ahead of him, too.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

I think the rest will make him much better in the second half. Unfortunately, I think the lack of work will make him a bit rusty so he won't start the season on fire like he did in 2009. All in all, I agree...I think he'll have a better overall season though.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

John Sickels profiles Johnny Cueto:

Also note that Cueto hasn't used the changeup much in the majors, even though the pitch was universally praised as a key to his minor league success in 2007. Problems with pitch selection and sequencing are common for young pitchers as they adjust to major league competition, and I personally think this is something Cueto can and will correct as he gains experience.
    If these lists have any validity at all, it looks like Cueto has a very good chance to be a very solid major league starter (which most of these guys were), a small chance to be a genuine superstar in the Greinke/Sabathia mode, and a relatively small chance to completely fail.
    Read the full article here:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...ueto#storyjump

Cueto is throwing a sinker now?

From C. Trent:

Cueto said he felt fine with his pitch count, he said he threw mostly sinkers, which didn't take as much out of him. According to PitchFX he threw 33 four-seam fastballs (with an average of 93.27 mph and a high of 95.8) and 32 sinkers. He also threw 28 two-seam fastballs.
    http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/car...-again-001711/

Cueto is throwing a sinker now?
    Doesn't sound right to me -- unless he's calling his slider a sinker now. I think he threw a few changeups last night, too, but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Doesn't sound right to me -- unless he's calling his slider a sinker now. I think he threw a few changeups last night, too, but not many.
    Cueto got both Pujols and Holliday out on a changeup.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Cueto got both Pujols and Holliday out on a changeup.
    I thought Cueto pitched very well late last year using fastball-changeup almost exclusively. I believe Corky Miller called the first game in which Cueto went in that direction. Would like to see him use that pitch at least as much as the slider, probably more. But he loves that slider.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I thought Cueto pitched very well late last year using fastball-changeup almost exclusively. I believe Corky Miller called the first game in which Cueto went in that direction. Would like to see him use that pitch at least as much as the slider, probably more. But he loves that slider.
    Last season the slider really fell off throughout the season in terms of effectiveness. It lost almost a full MPH from starts 1-10 to 11-20 and then another MPH from starts 11-20 to 21 to the end of the season. If Cueto can rely on his change up as an out pitch this season, he could be very good.

Turn Off Ads?