Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

If the Twins can't sign Joe Mauer, I think we need to go get him and make this the second coming of TBRM.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...urn=mlb,227395

He's the kind of catcher that could transform this team for years. And right now it seems like we are on the verge of being a very competitive team with some great young players.

And we have some big contracts coming off the books before we need to start paying big contracts back. Plus we have a lot of talent that might actually be some great trading pieces.

Cordero's contract is done after this year, and Harang's could be too. Those two would free up the money to sign Mauer. And our young talent could slide in to fill those two spots. Plus we have too many starting pitchers and outfielders that are almost primetime ready.

What do you guys think: Yonder, Maloney, Dorn and Hanigan enough?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

Id imagine the Twins would want at least Bruce.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY the Reds would ever pay a guy 20-25 million a year.

NO WAY

but i would love it if they did

Joe Mauer's not available. I call shenanigans...

Meso
    Yonder
    Fairel
    Driessen

I'd love this to happen. Mauer at the deadline...in his prime from 27 y/o to 33 y/o. resign him for 6 years 25 per...yum.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    Joe Mauer's not available. I call shenanigans...
    Agreed. Mauer is a Minnesota kid, and I think a contract will eventually get hammered out. Further, he is the quintessential franchise player to build around. The Twins would be moronic to lose him.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

He's not going anywhere. And if he does, he ain't coming to Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Meso
    Yonder
    Fairel
    Driessen

I'd love this to happen. Mauer at the deadline...in his prime from 27 y/o to 33 y/o. resign him for 6 years 25 per...yum.
    That wouldn't get us in the door. Think Cueto, Alonso, Heisey and Maloney.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    If the Twins can't sign Joe Mauer, I think we need to go get him and make this the second coming of TBRM.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...urn=mlb,227395

He's the kind of catcher that could transform this team for years. And right now it seems like we are on the verge of being a very competitive team with some great young players.

And we have some big contracts coming off the books before we need to start paying big contracts back. Plus we have a lot of talent that might actually be some great trading pieces.

Cordero's contract is done after this year, and Harang's could be too. Those two would free up the money to sign Mauer. And our young talent could slide in to fill those two spots. Plus we have too many starting pitchers and outfielders that are almost primetime ready.

What do you guys think: Yonder, Maloney, Dorn and Hanigan enough?
    Someone asked, "What do you do with the money that comes off the books at the end of this year (about $25M or so)?

I didn't post a response, but my first thought was get an All-Star Catcher.

Well, looky-here!

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    At the deadline? I look at what the Phillies gave up for Halladay and think you're overpaying there with Cueto.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I would never trade Heisey. Think Votto redux. The guy is going to be a stud in mlb.

With all our starting pitching, I'd trade Cueto. And I'd trade Alonso in a heartbeat.

Cueto, Alonso, Maloney and some lower level prospects. We can't afford Mauer though.

But if we did that deal, you could write our name in for the playoffs right now.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Cordero's contract is done after this year, and Harang's could be too.
    Cordero is signed for two more years. His contract was a four year deal and he has played for two seasons with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Someone asked, "What do you do with the money that comes off the books at the end of this year (about $25M or so)?

I didn't post a response, but my first thought was get an All-Star Catcher.

Well, looky-here!
    Okay, so NOW we agree on something.

Actually my point with that question about the payflex was that we really don't - or won't - have a huge gap anywhere in a year or so, depending upon the development in LF.

With Heisey looking like the real deal, and Fransisco, Frazier, Alonso/his trade return, we MIGHT get a young cheap .850 OPS bat with above average D out there.
    Stubbs in CF, Bruce in RF, we have enough value perhaps. Rolen/Frazier/Francisco at 3B, BP/Frazier/Valaika at 2B, Vottomatic at 1B.
    That REALLY only leaves SS and C.
    I don't see anywhere really to trade/FA at SS - so let Cozart develop there and hit 8th.

$25M for Mauer to play All-Star/MVP/Batting Champion-level backstop?
    Just might be the ticket!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

What would it take to get Russell Martin from the Dodgers?

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Mauer is going to be a Twin for life. He will give them a discount and they will be good for years.

But if we could get him, I say look at the minors and pick. 2 pitchers and 2 position players. (Chapman off limits)

Turn Off Ads?