Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    619

    Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    If the Twins can't sign Joe Mauer, I think we need to go get him and make this the second coming of TBRM.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...urn=mlb,227395

    He's the kind of catcher that could transform this team for years. And right now it seems like we are on the verge of being a very competitive team with some great young players.

    And we have some big contracts coming off the books before we need to start paying big contracts back. Plus we have a lot of talent that might actually be some great trading pieces.

    Cordero's contract is done after this year, and Harang's could be too. Those two would free up the money to sign Mauer. And our young talent could slide in to fill those two spots. Plus we have too many starting pitchers and outfielders that are almost primetime ready.

    What do you guys think: Yonder, Maloney, Dorn and Hanigan enough?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Id imagine the Twins would want at least Bruce.

  4. #3
    The Franchise sivman17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    736

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY the Reds would ever pay a guy 20-25 million a year.

    NO WAY

    but i would love it if they did

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    246

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Joe Mauer's not available. I call shenanigans...

  6. #5
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,995

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Meso
    Yonder
    Fairel
    Driessen

    I'd love this to happen. Mauer at the deadline...in his prime from 27 y/o to 33 y/o. resign him for 6 years 25 per...yum.

  7. #6
    Member MBZags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    240

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    Joe Mauer's not available. I call shenanigans...
    Agreed. Mauer is a Minnesota kid, and I think a contract will eventually get hammered out. Further, he is the quintessential franchise player to build around. The Twins would be moronic to lose him.

  8. #7
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    He's not going anywhere. And if he does, he ain't coming to Cincinnati.

  9. #8
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Meso
    Yonder
    Fairel
    Driessen

    I'd love this to happen. Mauer at the deadline...in his prime from 27 y/o to 33 y/o. resign him for 6 years 25 per...yum.
    That wouldn't get us in the door. Think Cueto, Alonso, Heisey and Maloney.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,580

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    If the Twins can't sign Joe Mauer, I think we need to go get him and make this the second coming of TBRM.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...urn=mlb,227395

    He's the kind of catcher that could transform this team for years. And right now it seems like we are on the verge of being a very competitive team with some great young players.

    And we have some big contracts coming off the books before we need to start paying big contracts back. Plus we have a lot of talent that might actually be some great trading pieces.

    Cordero's contract is done after this year, and Harang's could be too. Those two would free up the money to sign Mauer. And our young talent could slide in to fill those two spots. Plus we have too many starting pitchers and outfielders that are almost primetime ready.

    What do you guys think: Yonder, Maloney, Dorn and Hanigan enough?
    Someone asked, "What do you do with the money that comes off the books at the end of this year (about $25M or so)?

    I didn't post a response, but my first thought was get an All-Star Catcher.

    Well, looky-here!

  11. #10
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,995

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    That wouldn't get us in the door. Think Cueto, Alonso, Heisey and Maloney.
    At the deadline? I look at what the Phillies gave up for Halladay and think you're overpaying there with Cueto.

  12. #11
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    That wouldn't get us in the door. Think Cueto, Alonso, Heisey and Maloney.
    I would never trade Heisey. Think Votto redux. The guy is going to be a stud in mlb.

    With all our starting pitching, I'd trade Cueto. And I'd trade Alonso in a heartbeat.

    Cueto, Alonso, Maloney and some lower level prospects. We can't afford Mauer though.

    But if we did that deal, you could write our name in for the playoffs right now.

  13. #12
    He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    704

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Cordero's contract is done after this year, and Harang's could be too.
    Cordero is signed for two more years. His contract was a four year deal and he has played for two seasons with the Reds.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Someone asked, "What do you do with the money that comes off the books at the end of this year (about $25M or so)?

    I didn't post a response, but my first thought was get an All-Star Catcher.

    Well, looky-here!
    Okay, so NOW we agree on something.

    Actually my point with that question about the payflex was that we really don't - or won't - have a huge gap anywhere in a year or so, depending upon the development in LF.

    With Heisey looking like the real deal, and Fransisco, Frazier, Alonso/his trade return, we MIGHT get a young cheap .850 OPS bat with above average D out there.
    Stubbs in CF, Bruce in RF, we have enough value perhaps. Rolen/Frazier/Francisco at 3B, BP/Frazier/Valaika at 2B, Vottomatic at 1B.
    That REALLY only leaves SS and C.
    I don't see anywhere really to trade/FA at SS - so let Cozart develop there and hit 8th.

    $25M for Mauer to play All-Star/MVP/Batting Champion-level backstop?
    Just might be the ticket!!

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  15. #14
    Member joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,083

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    What would it take to get Russell Martin from the Dodgers?

  16. #15
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    337

    Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

    Mauer is going to be a Twin for life. He will give them a discount and they will be good for years.

    But if we could get him, I say look at the minors and pick. 2 pitchers and 2 position players. (Chapman off limits)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25