Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Joe Mauer on the Trade Block

We really don't have enough to offer them to get Mauer
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    At the deadline? I look at what the Phillies gave up for Halladay and think you're overpaying there with Cueto.
    Not to mention what Dunn brought us.

We should get Derek Norris from the Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    That wouldn't get us in the door. Think Cueto, Alonso, Heisey and Maloney.
    This is a lot more realistic than the first couple suggestions made in this thread.
    The Twins would want at least one young Reds player who is already in the bigs. I'm sure they like their chances of making the playoffs this year even without a healthy Joe Nathan. They aren't going to trade their best player for a handful of guys that need at least another year or two in the minors.

That said, I don't think the Twins let Mauer get away.

I'd trade Cueto Alonso Heisey Phillips and Wood to get Mauer if the Reds were convinced they could sign him.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    This is a lot more realistic than the first couple suggestions made in this thread.
    The Twins would want at least one young Reds player who is already in the bigs. I'm sure they like their chances of making the playoffs this year even without a healthy Joe Nathan. They aren't going to trade their best player for a handful of guys that need at least another year or two in the minors.

That said, I don't think the Twins let Mauer get away.

I'd trade Cueto Alonso Heisey Phillips and Wood to get Mauer if the Reds were convinced they could sign him.
    While I LOVE Mauer as a catcher and would kill to have him in red, that is highway rape to get him; as a catcher he *likely* doesn't have that many years left at this level to make that trade worth it IMO.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    While I LOVE Mauer as a catcher and would kill to have him in red, that is highway rape to get him; as a catcher he *likely* doesn't have that many years left at this level to make that trade worth it IMO.
    He's 26 and was the best player in the league last year, and when you compare him to his peers its amazing how good the guy is.

Mauers Career OPS is .892
    The highest single season OPS in the last 5 years from any catcher not named Mauer is Posada in 2007 with a .970, the next highest? Brian McCann .896 in 2008. Plus Mauer brings GG defense. The guy is that good.

I would want half a major league roster for a player like him.
    Last edited by GIDP; 03-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    He's 26 and was the best player in the league last year, and when you compare him to his peers its amazing how good the guy is.

Give me Pujols instead of him everyday of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Give me Pujols instead of him everyday of the week.
    Mauer being a catcher makes him the best player in the league.

Maybe we can split hairs but compare Pujols to the other 1st basemen in the league then compare Mauer to the other catchers.

Well we do have an entire "extra" MLB starting pitching rotation we could tinker with, along with about 18 OF/1B/3B prospects.
    They don't need 1B, but could use a corner IF type who could mash and play DH since Thome is only there for a year. Do we know anybody who fits that bill?!

pick one:
    Cueto
    Volquez

pick one:
    Maloney
    Owings
    Wood
    Lecure

pick one:
    Burton (they could use him as a closer this year?)
    Fisher
    Del Rosario

pick one:
    Alonso (heir-apparent DH)
    Francisco (heir-apparent 3B/LF)
    Valaika

Want one more? Throw in Delmon Young.
    Easy Peasy!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Mauer being a catcher makes him the best player in the league.

Maybe we can split hairs but compare Pujols to the other 1st basemen in the league then compare Mauer to the other catchers.
    Pujols WORST season in the MLB was 07 with 32 HRs, 103 RBI's .327/.429/.568 for an OPS of .997. While playing GG defense at first base.

Mauer's best season in the MLB was last season with 28 HR's, 96 RBI's .365/.444/.586 for an OPS of 1.031. Not to mention his previous career high in HR's was 13. His number compare very closely to Brian McCann's and Victor Martinez in their career's. He could easily be back to hitting 12-15 homerun's next year.

I know hitting catcher is a rarity in today's game, but Pujols may be the best hitter of all-time when he is all said and done. His consistency is off the charts and he has been very durable, something that is not as true for Mauer. Mauer has been more durable than ESPN make's him out to be though.

As you said it is pretty much splitting hairs, but in our situation in Cincy I would take Pujols without a doubt, because we couldn't afford Mauer being a little more risky.

As a single player Pujols is better yes, but when you take what Mauer can do behind the plate compared to what an average catcher can do he and an average 1st baseman is going to win you more games than Pujols and an average catcher.

Mauer because of his position is a wiser way to spend money and resources than the alternative scenario with Pujols.

Investing 20% of total payroll on a single player is playing with fire. Especially at a position that is one foul tip away from the 60 day DL.If they can't resist, make sure that player plays first or left field. That way you maximize the chances of him playing the entire year.

Attending ST based in Ft. Myers where the Twins are, I have had the opportunity to witness Mauer the person, interact with the fans. What a great apostle he is for the Twins. He is such a leader, even though he has a teamate named Morneau, Mauer is the man. That said, he is a hometown boy, and there is no way in hell he's going anywhere else. He puts 1/2 the fans in their stadium by himself. He will discount his worth to stay at home, and the Twins will give him enough that will avoid any temptation.

(I still fantasize about him in a Reds uniform though)......

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    Mauer is going to be a Twin for life. He will give them a discount and they will be good for years.....(snip)
    He's the most popular Twin since Kirby and should be a Twin for life.
    ----------
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs." - David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Attending ST based in Ft. Myers where the Twins are, I have had the opportunity to witness Mauer the person, interact with the fans. What a great apostle he is for the Twins. He is such a leader, even though he has a teamate named Morneau, Mauer is the man. That said, he is a hometown boy, and there is no way in hell he's going anywhere else. He puts 1/2 the fans in their stadium by himself. He will discount his worth to stay at home, and the Twins will give him enough that will avoid any temptation.

(I still fantasize about him in a Reds uniform though)......
    When I started this thread this was pretty much what I thought, but it just struck me how a guy like Mauer could complete this team. And we haven't had a complete team since the BRM. We had a nice mix of young and old, mixed with some career years that gave us the '90 WS, but we haven't had even close to a real "team" since.

I am so stoked about what this next few years could really be like, even though we are the lower tier in salary. I just feel like management finally gets it. Get's what they have to do to compete and still have a lower tier payroll.

If we didn't draft another decent player for the next 3 years, we should/could, at least on paper, be a decent team. So just think about if we continue down this path; drafting good young pitching, being frugal with FA signings, stocking our minor leagues with great talent, trading the older guys for youth when their prices start getting too high and finding guys like Rolen and Cabrera to fill gaps and help train and lead the younger guys. And don't forget getting quality people. Hard workers, guys who want to learn, play the game right, etc. It all sounds cliche when you type it, but when you see it gelling on the field. You realize it's importance.

I'm not saying that the Reds will win the WS this year or any year coming up. But I see a team that has finally realized that trying to win on the cheap, hope Don Gullet can save an almost servered arm, pick trash off the trash heap, etc. only gets a few buts in the seats. Developing talent, making the occasional splash and having good leadership is the way to be successful on and off the field.

In a perfect world, Bob Howsman would not only trade and get our missing Johnny Bench catcher, he'd steal the guy. And we'd reap the rewards. So isn't fun to think about that on top of all the good feeling this off season has been? I think a lot of people who've replied think so. Thanks for helping stoke my dreams, while I sit here waiting for a small sign of spring to sprout and take me away from this dreadful winter.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 03-18-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Turn Off Ads?