Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 79

Thread: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,473

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I disagree completely. This is a poor year for qb's in general. To further water it down by dropping into the third round for a possible starter?

    Your chances of hitting big money on the lottery are better, IMO.
    QB Tim Hiller, Western Michigan
    QB Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
    QB Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan
    QB Jevan Snead, Ole Miss
    QB Tim Tebow, Florida
    QB Colt McCoy, Texas

    All of those are likely starters in the NFL, and none of them will be taken in the First Round.

    You can also toss in as possible starters:

    QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
    QB Case Keenum, Houston
    QB Jarrett Brown, West Virginia

    All of them have at worst Jake Delhomme/Seneca Wallace ceilings, and Holmgren is an expert at grooming Quarterbacks. I'm sure if he picks one of these in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th Round, the chances that he'll outproduce Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Seneca Wallace, and Jake Delhomme are pretty good.

    When it comes to drafting a quarterback who's going to lead a team to a Superbowl, where he gets drafted is anybody's guess. There's so much one doesn't know about the person until they get them in camp, and even then, a whole organization can screw that up, too (see Brett Favre).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-17-2010 at 02:47 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    QB Tim Hiller, Western Michigan
    QB Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
    QB Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan
    QB Jevan Snead, Ole Miss
    QB Tim Tebow, Florida
    QB Colt McCoy, Texas

    All of those are likely starters in the NFL, and none of them will be taken in the First Round.

    You can also toss in as possible starters:

    QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
    QB Case Keenum, Houston
    QB Jarrett Brown, West Virginia

    All of them have at worst Jake Delhomme/Seneca Wallace ceilings, and Holmgren is an expert at grooming Quarterbacks. I'm sure if he picks one of these in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th Round, the chances that he'll outproduce Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Seneca Wallace, and Jake Delhomme are pretty good.

    When it comes to drafting a quarterback who's going to lead a team to a Superbowl, where he gets drafted is anybody's guess. There's so much one doesn't know about the person until they get them in camp, and even then, a whole organization can screw that up, too (see Brett Favre).
    Likely starters in the NFL arent taken in the 3rd round of NFL drafts.

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,473

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Likely starters in the NFL arent taken in the 3rd round of NFL drafts.
    They not only are taken in the 3rd round, but they're taken in every round, and sometimes are undrafted.

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Likely starters in the NFL arent taken in the 3rd round of NFL drafts.
    likely starters also don't include Tim Tebow.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  6. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    They not only are taken in the 3rd round, but they're taken in every round, and sometimes are undrafted.
    Look at the NFL QBs last year. You tell me the odds that you are going to find a starting QB outside the 1st or 2nd rounds. It doesnt happen often. I might be mistaken but maybe 5 NFL starting QBs last year were not taken in the 1st round. If you go looking for a starting QB by saying we can get him in these later rounds most of the time you are going to be swinging and missing.

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,473

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    The best pick for Cleveland would be QB Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan.

    He'll be available at the end of the 3rd Round and he's DEFINITELY going to become a starter in the NFL.

    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Holmgren drafts LeFevour. He knows Quarterbacks.

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,473

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Look at the NFL QBs last year. You tell me the odds that you are going to find a starting QB outside the 1st or 2nd rounds. It doesnt happen often. I might be mistaken but maybe 5 NFL starting QBs last year were not taken in the 1st round. If you go looking for a starting QB by saying we can get him in these later rounds most of the time you are going to be swinging and missing.
    I don't have time to go through the list right now, but I'll go through it later. I'm pretty sure that at least a dozen starters (37%) were drafted in the 3rd Round or later. That's a pretty high number.

  9. #38
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I don't have time to go through the list right now, but I'll go through it later. I'm pretty sure that at least a dozen starters (37%) were drafted in the 3rd Round or later. That's a pretty high number.
    I believe that's probably pretty close. I can think of 7 or 8 off the top of my head. Brady, Bulger, Schaub, Hasselback, Romo, Delhomme, Cassell. I'm pretty sure Kyle Orton and David Garrard were late round picks as well.
    Last edited by BRM; 03-17-2010 at 03:22 PM.

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I don't have time to go through the list right now, but I'll go through it later. I'm pretty sure that at least a dozen starters (37%) were drafted in the 3rd Round or later. That's a pretty high number.
    You are saying 12 of the 32 NFL teams had starting QBs drafted later than the 3rd round?

  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    There is 12 if you count every QB to have over 200 passing attempts last year.

  12. #41
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I believe that's probably pretty close. I can think of 7 or 8 off the top of my head. Brady, Bulger, Schaub, Hasselback, Romo, Delhomme, Cassell. I'm pretty sure Kyle Orton and David Garrard were late round picks as well.
    If your talking starters as of last season, starting more that spot starts, I think you can add Anderson, Fitzpatrick, Gradkowski, and Shaun Hill. Not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination but 3 started over former 1st round picks (Quinn, Edwards, Russell, and Smith).

  13. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,132

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    QB Tim Hiller, Western Michigan
    QB Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
    QB Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan
    QB Jevan Snead, Ole Miss
    QB Tim Tebow, Florida
    QB Colt McCoy, Texas

    All of those are likely starters in the NFL, and none of them will be taken in the First Round.

    You can also toss in as possible starters:

    QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
    QB Case Keenum, Houston
    QB Jarrett Brown, West Virginia

    All of them have at worst Jake Delhomme/Seneca Wallace ceilings, and Holmgren is an expert at grooming Quarterbacks. I'm sure if he picks one of these in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th Round, the chances that he'll outproduce Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Seneca Wallace, and Jake Delhomme are pretty good.

    When it comes to drafting a quarterback who's going to lead a team to a Superbowl, where he gets drafted is anybody's guess. There's so much one doesn't know about the person until they get them in camp, and even then, a whole organization can screw that up, too (see Brett Favre).
    You're talking about two different things when you say "likely" starters. Is it likely that one of those quarterbacks will develop into a starting QB in the NFL? Sure.
    Is it likely that all of those quarterbacks will be in the NFL? Not a chance.

    If 12 QB's last year who threw more than 200 times were drafted after the 2nd round, that means one maybe two quarterback per draft will be good enough to be a starting quarterback(and not even an above average quarterback, who picks somebody with the hopes they'll be 32nd in the league passing.)
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  14. #43
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,480

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Garrard was 4th round

  15. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    QB Tim Hiller, Western Michigan
    QB Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
    QB Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan
    QB Jevan Snead, Ole Miss
    QB Tim Tebow, Florida
    QB Colt McCoy, Texas

    All of those are likely starters in the NFL, and none of them will be taken in the First Round.
    If you mean a starter as in a person who starts one game in the NFL, then perhaps half of your picks above might make one start. If you mean a qb who is a perennial starter on an NFL team, I'd say you're smoking something. There's only one Tom Brady.

    Sure, you can mention the also-rans that have been undervalued, but, by and large, late-round qb picks have a horrid success rate, especially with their original teams.

    Better to wait out the year and grab quality depth at other positions, while also signing a placeholder until you can move up to the upper portion of a later draft and pick a guy you really believe in.

    I think that's what Holmgren has planned, actually. Unless Bradford drops (and he shouldn't), the Browns are going to go with the devil they know and try and fill from the strongest position in the draft-- wide receiver.

    (Of course, Homgren could just as easily decide to sign a free agent WR or two and take some defensive talent, figuring it may be undervalued. What do I really know?)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    You're talking about two different things when you say "likely" starters. Is it likely that one of those quarterbacks will develop into a starting QB in the NFL? Sure.
    Is it likely that all of those quarterbacks will be in the NFL? Not a chance.

    If 12 QB's last year who threw more than 200 times were drafted after the 2nd round, that means one maybe two quarterback per draft will be good enough to be a starting quarterback(and not even an above average quarterback, who picks somebody with the hopes they'll be 32nd in the league passing.)
    12 that were drafter 3rd round or later.

    Out of the 23 that started 14 games or more there was 8.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25