Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

Re: Brady Quinn Traded To Denver

Basically you either get a once in a lifetime lucky pick like a Tom Brady or Kurt Warner or you draft in the 1st round.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    You are saying 12 of the 32 NFL teams had starting QBs drafted later than the 3rd round?
    Actually, yeah:

Matt Schaub HOU (3rd Round)
    Tony Romo DAL (Undrafted)
    Tom Brady NE (6th Round)
    Kyle Orton DEN (4th Round)
    Kurt Warner ARI (Undrafted)
    David Garrard JAX (4th Round)
    Matt Hasselbeck SEA (6th Round)
    Matt Cassel KC (7th Round)
    Jake Delhomme CAR (Undrafted)
    Marc Bulger STL (6th Round)
    Bruce Gradkowski OAK (6th Round)
    Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF (7th Round)

Basically you either get a once in a lifetime lucky pick like a Tom Brady or Kurt Warner or you draft in the 1st round.
    And if you draft in the 1st round, you still have a fair chance of striking out -- see Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, J.P. Losman, Rex Grossman, Jason Campbell, etc.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Actually, yeah:

Tom Brady NE (6th Round)

And if you draft in the 1st round, you still have a fair chance of striking out -- see Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, J.P. Losman, Rex Grossman, Jason Campbell, etc.
    A lot of those guys arent NFL starters. They only played because they happend to be the least terrible on their team. Every team has to play a QB but it doesnt make all of them them worthy of being one.

Basically most of those teams are looking for a QB in this years draft or most likely should be.

If you want to solve your QB issues which way would you go?
    Last edited by GIDP; 03-17-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Was Kurt Warner even drafted? I can't remember.

nevermind, i should read before i post.
    Suck it up cupcake.

A lot of those guys arent NFL starters. They only played because they happend to be the least terrible on their team. Every team has to play a QB but it doesnt make all of them them worthy of being one.

Basically most of those teams are looking for a QB in this years draft or most likely should be.

If you want to solve your QB issues which way would you go?
    With the exception of Gradkowski and Fitzy all others were bonified starters. Orton is the only other fringe guy.

Cassel was? Delhomme was? Bulger? There is talk of the Rams drafting a QB this year. Delhomme was released, and Cassel was 25th in the league in passer rating last year barely above Fitzy.

Here's the thing though, there are much higher rates of success for 1st round quarterbacks than there are for later round quarterbacks(they play sooner too on average)

HOWEVER, the cost of a 1st round quarterback is much higher as well, so if you lose, it likely sets the franchise back two years minimum.

Exactly what the balance is between higher prospect of being right, higher prospect of playing sooner, cost to draft is I don't know,
    but I do know that if more than two-three guys on Kingspoint's list are 1) drafted in rounds 3-7, and 2) start more than 3-4 games in their career, it will be the greatest late round qb draft in history.

What's likely is one team will get lucky(smart) and pick the next Top 10 QB, one team will draft a guy who sits on the bench for 3-4 years, learns the system and starts maybe 4 years down the road, and every other qb taken will be selling insurance in 5 years.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    What's likely is one team will get lucky(smart) and pick the next Top 10 QB, one team will draft a guy who sits on the bench for 3-4 years, learns the system and starts maybe 4 years down the road, and every other qb taken will be selling insurance in 5 years.

And this is why you only draft the guy you love at the qb position. Because, like it or not, he's who most of your fan base (and much of your team) will identify your success.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I was kind of worried about the Browns with Holmgren taking over. Not as much now, at least not anytime soon. Looking like a 4-6 win team again in 2010. That franchise ruined Brady Quinn, I don't think he's a bust if he'd gone to a non-dysfunctional team.

Maybe Holmgren gets a decent QB and they become a team to worry about in 2011, but that's easier said than done. They are in a brutal division when it comes to making mistakes, and you're just not going to win in the AFC North with Seneca Wallace or Jake Delhomme at QB. I kind of want to see Delhomme starting, how many INTs would he throw playing Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati twice a year?
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

You are saying 12 of the 32 NFL teams had starting QBs drafted later than the 3rd round?

No. I say that there were probably about 40 starters last season (started 8 games or more or were meant to start 8 games or more, but injuries took them out), and that maybe 14 of those 40 were drafted AFTER the 2nd Round, I'm guessing...maybe a couple more.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.

12 that were drafter 3rd round or later.

Out of the 23 that started 14 games or more there was 8.
    What a coincidence? 8 out of 23 is 35%. That's pretty close for someone who was just guessing off the top of their head when I said 37%.

For reference when I was asked, I do mean "likely" starters. I intentionally used that word. As was said, it's very much different.

FWIW, if Claussen or Bradford fall to #7, then the Browns jump all over that.

Actually, yeah:

Tom Brady NE (6th Round)

Don't forget JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, and I could go on and on with busted 1st Round picks at QB.

With that list right there of "quality" QB's drafted after the 2nd Round, if you've got your scouts doing their jobs and you have a competent QB's coach, then you should have faith that you can get a QB after the 2nd Round.

Central Michigan's QB has a 50-50 chance of becoming a quality starter, depending on who drafts him. If someone drafts him who lets him spend 3 years to develop his game, then that team will have themselves a starter. If they rush him, they'll end his career before it started.

Also, drafting a 1st Round QB bust gets a G.M. fired.

32 NFL teams have to have a likely starter. Doesnt mean all 32 QB who start in the NFL should.

32 NFL teams have to have a likely starter. Doesnt mean all 32 QB who start in the NFL should.
    Like MLB, the NHL, and the NBA, there's too many teams and not enough talent.

Turn Off Ads?