Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

2. Turn Off Ads?

Based on that performance, Wake Forest and Texas should both be eliminated and Kentucky should be awarded a bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Based on that performance, Wake Forest and Texas should both be eliminated and Kentucky should be awarded a bye.
    I'm sure our resident WFU fan would have something to say about that.

New Mexico hangs on to beat Montana 62-57.

5 point victory today is practically a blowout.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    5 point victory today is practically a blowout.
    They showed the Keith Smart shot in 87 during our game tonight. Hadn't seen that play in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Conference records/ thoughts after the first day:

Big XII 3-1
    They didn't look all that great, but the tournament is young yet and they moved on. Kansas struggled for 30 minutes, Baylor didn't shoot well at all, and Texas is the biggest disappointment of the year. Only Kansas State played well in their 20-point win. Three more Big XII teams play tomorrow; if they kick tail, the Big XII could lay claim to being the best league in basketball.

ACC 1-0
    Wake over Texas was perhaps the ugliest game the NCAA has seen in years. Neither team deserved to win. Five games on Friday will make or break their reputation as a disappointment this season. Only Duke and Maryland look to be clear favorites.

Pac 10 1-0
    And, thankfully for the Pac, this season is now in the record books... Oh, Washington won? Welcome to the NCAA. It's parity, baby.

SEC 2-2
    The SEC was a prayer and an OT game from being unbeaten. Of course, they were also a Melvin Goins' trey from being 1-3. Still, Kentucky may make it all moot in the end. That was the most dominating game on day one by a fairly wide margin.

Mountain West 2-2
    Never leave a European player wide open with seconds left. What in the name of Jerry Tarkanian is going on with UNLV's (lack of) D? San Diego State played just well enough to lose against Tennessee. Still, a good first day from an underrated western conference.

Big East 1-3
    Ouch. The Georgetown loss killed brackets and Big East momentum. Four teams (all but one a heavy favorite) play on Friday. Perhaps they wash this taste out of our mouths.

Still watching: The Big 10. All five teams play Friday.
    The A-10 has two teams playing on Friday, as does the WAC, .
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    2 decade Deac fan here.

If there's one thing the Deacs do well and often, it's tank hard down the stretch. This year is no different. In the last 5 games, they have:

Lost by double digits on the road to the #11 team in the ACC (NC State)

Lost by double digits at home to the #10 team in the ACC (North Carolina)

Lost a road game at FSU in which they scored 47 points

Lost by 21 to the #12 (last place!) team (Miami) in the first round of the conference tourney.

Dino Gaudio got thrown into a tough situation when Prosser died. I'd love for him to do well. But after 3 years of watching him on the sideline, I've seen enough to know that he's a horrific in-game coach. Decent recruiter, but Xs and Os are wretched. LD Williams (the 2 guard) can't hit a jump shot to save his life. Ish Smith (PG) is abysmal at the FT line. Al-Farouq Aminu is a TO waiting to happen when he's not shooting 20% from behind the 3 point line.

The good news for brackets is that it doesn't really matter who wins the Texas-Wake game. Either team is going to get hammered by Kentucky in the 2nd round.
    Thanks guy. I actually put Texas over WF after reading what you put. I'm blaming you for my bracket failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    According to Ken Pomeroy's rankings Wake Forest is the fifth best team UK will have played this year, ranking slightly behind Miss St and UofL. They also have the second highest defensive efficiency of any team UK has played all year. On the other hand, according to Pomeroy, Texas would have been the best team by far that UK would have played to date if they had beaten Wake.

All of this means nothing except to suggest that Wake Forest will be a tougher match up than ETSU.

If Wake wins, it is one of the biggest tourney shockers in a long time.

If Wake loses, it won't matter as the loss will eventually be expunged after the inevitable NCAA investigation of Calipari & Kentucky.

Still watching: The Big 10. All five teams play Friday.
    The A-10 has two teams playing on Friday, as does the WAC, .
    The A-10 picked up a loss by Richmond yesterday. I thought from the outset that St. Mary's was much better than a 10 seed and that proved to be the case.

Big East 1-3
    Ouch. The Georgetown loss killed brackets and Big East momentum. Four teams (all but one a heavy favorite) play on Friday. Perhaps they wash this taste out of our mouths.
    There is no doubt that the Big East was over-rated this year (I fully expect Pitt to lose today) but I think this is more indicative of the overall climate than one conference. Really, outside of two teams, the rest of the major conference field has been mediocre this year. In fact, if the committee hadn't paired up so many mid-majors in the bracket, I imagine that you'd see even more upsets because of the extreme mount of parity this season.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    There is no doubt that the Big East was over-rated this year (I fully expect Pitt to lose today) but I think this is more indicative of the overall climate than one conference. Really, outside of two teams, the rest of the major conference field has been mediocre this year. In fact, if the committee hadn't paired up so many mid-majors in the bracket, I imagine that you'd see even more upsets because of the extreme mount of generally bad basketball this season.
    There. That is more like it.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Loving it. Living in West Virginia it's definitely been fun.

I thought the Big 12 was the most overrated conference in college basketball, but the Big East is moving up there at lightspeed.
    Additionally, St. John's and Seton Hall crashed out of the NIT. I think it's clear that the Big East was average at best this year.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Additionally, St. John's and Seton Hall crashed out of the NIT. I think it's clear that the Big East was average at best this year.
    I posted in the UK thread that I think the Big East isn't so much overrated as much as it is beaten black and blue from conference and tournament play.

From top to bottom, the Big East is the most powerful conference in college basketball. It's down considerably compared to last year, but its still the top conference in terms of strength.

The problem is the same argument used for the SEC in football, except the SEC backs it up in the championship games. Everybody beats up on each other during the season and conference tournament that the Big East is gassed come the NCAA tournament. It might be a benefit to Syracuse losing early in the Big East tournament as they will likely be better rested than say WVU.

The only team who has done anything in the Big East in terms of national championships is playing in the Not Invited Tournament this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?