Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 778

Thread: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

  1. #46
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Of course every poll listed there, AP, Coaches, CBS's own special poll, the computers and Ken Pomeroy all had Duke ahead of West Virginia. Take your questions to them.
    That's exactly my point. Somehow Duke gets rated ahead of WVU in all polls despite having an obviously inferior resume.

    Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    I'm not really trying to "defeat" your argument. I thought before you criticize something you obviously don't know about you might like to try to understand it. My mistake for trying to even engage you in a conversation.

    I could care less about Duke's seeding.
    You're right. Wrong word on my part. I misconstrued your post, and I apologize.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    That's exactly my point. Somehow Duke gets rated ahead of WVU in all polls despite having an obviously inferior resume.



    You're right. Wrong word on my part. I misconstrued your post, and I apologize.
    No worries. If it makes you feel better, a good portion of the year WVU was higher than Purdue in Pomeroy and other ratings even though Purdue beat WVU handily. It doesn't always make sense, but I think it is important to see that they are unbiased as well.

  4. #48
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,508

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I really wanted to put Texas over Wake Forest, but I can't get past WF's 8th best FG defense.
    2 decade Deac fan here.

    If there's one thing the Deacs do well and often, it's tank hard down the stretch. This year is no different. In the last 5 games, they have:

    Lost by double digits on the road to the #11 team in the ACC (NC State)

    Lost by double digits at home to the #10 team in the ACC (North Carolina)

    Lost a road game at FSU in which they scored 47 points

    Lost by 21 to the #12 (last place!) team (Miami) in the first round of the conference tourney.

    Dino Gaudio got thrown into a tough situation when Prosser died. I'd love for him to do well. But after 3 years of watching him on the sideline, I've seen enough to know that he's a horrific in-game coach. Decent recruiter, but Xs and Os are wretched. LD Williams (the 2 guard) can't hit a jump shot to save his life. Ish Smith (PG) is abysmal at the FT line. Al-Farouq Aminu is a TO waiting to happen when he's not shooting 20% from behind the 3 point line.

    The good news for brackets is that it doesn't really matter who wins the Texas-Wake game. Either team is going to get hammered by Kentucky in the 2nd round.

  5. #49
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,316

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Why does it matter if Duke didn't win any games against the top 15RPI if Duke being ranked ahead of WVU in RPI doesn't matter?

  6. #50
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Why does it matter if Duke didn't win any games against the top 15RPI if Duke being ranked ahead of WVU in RPI doesn't matter?
    RPI only factors in your winning percentage, your opponents winning percentage, and your opponents' opponents winning percentage.

    Duke having a high winning percentage wins helps. Playing teams like Va Tech who have a high winning percentage helps, along with other ACC schools that play cupcake out of conference games. Acc has the worst OOC schedule of the big 6:

    Pac 10 Sc = 0.653
    Big 12 Sc = 0.564583
    Big Ten Sc = 0.4863
    Big East Sc = 0.44
    SEC Sc = 0.425
    ACC Sc = 0.377083

    Leads to inflated ACC records, which leads to inflated RPI.

  7. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    So, it seems like Baylor is getting a lot of hype but I don't know much about them and really don't follow the Big 12. Are they a legit threat or a product of a conference that tends to underachieve in the tourney?

  8. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,196

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    That's exactly my point. Somehow Duke gets rated ahead of WVU in all polls despite having an obviously inferior resume.
    Inferior in your mind perhaps. But generally if the computer calculations(I don't think RPI cares about Duke) and the humans agree, my guess is it is more than the NCAA caving in to Duke. While it's certainly debateable whether or not Duke is better than WVU or should be rated higher, it is not clear cut that WVU should have gotten the #1 seed ahead of Duke.

    To hear your rant, WVU clearly is the better team and clearly has the better resume, and yet is seeded lower.

    All anyone has been saying is clearly that's not the case.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  9. #53
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Inferior in your mind perhaps. But generally if the computer calculations(I don't think RPI cares about Duke) and the humans agree, my guess is it is more than the NCAA caving in to Duke. While it's certainly debateable whether or not Duke is better than WVU or should be rated higher, it is not clear cut that WVU should have gotten the #1 seed ahead of Duke.

    To hear your rant, WVU clearly is the better team and clearly has the better resume, and yet is seeded lower.

    All anyone has been saying is clearly that's not the case.
    Fair enough. Although clearly 90% of the college basketball fans polled in the above poll agree with me.

  10. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,196

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Fair enough. Although clearly 90% of the college basketball fans polled in the above poll agree with me.
    If the media and the NCAA can be accused of giving Duke the benefit of the doubt, the public at large can just as easily be accused of not doing so.

    For the record, I think Duke got the easiest path to the final four and its a crock that WVU has to play in Kentucky's region. Until this year we had always heard that the committee ranks all teams 1-65 and then snakes back and forth unless there are conference entanglements to avoid. This nonsense of entering geographical concerns strikes me as a weak cop out.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  11. #55
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    If the media and the NCAA can be accused of giving Duke the benefit of the doubt, the public at large can just as easily be accused of not doing so.

    For the record, I think Duke got the easiest path to the final four and its a crock that WVU has to play in Kentucky's region. Until this year we had always heard that the committee ranks all teams 1-65 and then snakes back and forth unless there are conference entanglements to avoid. This nonsense of entering geographical concerns strikes me as a weak cop out.
    Agree with all of this.

  12. #56
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,316

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Who are WVU "SIX" wins against the top 15 RPI? ESPN shows they are 5-4 against the top 25 RPI.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 03-16-2010 at 12:08 PM.

  13. #57
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Who are WVU "SIX" wins against the top 15 RPI? ESPN shows they are 5-4 against the top 25 RPI.
    Is that counting Georgetown twice?

    I've got Gtown (2)
    Nova
    OSU
    A&M
    Pitt

    OSU is 22nd in RPI, my number was a big misleading. 6 wins against the RPI top 22.

  14. #58
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,316

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Is that counting Georgetown twice?

    I've got Gtown (2)
    Nova
    OSU
    A&M
    Pitt

    OSU is 22nd in RPI, my number was a big misleading. 6 wins against the RPI top 22.

    I don't know who they have them beating. ESPN's Insider has them as 5-4 vs. the top 25 RPI. Maybe they go by how the team was ranked at the time they played, I don't know.



    And I agree that WVU may be better than Duke, there's certainly an argument there. But I don't think it's completely ridiculous that Duke is #1 over WVU.

    As for the 90% of college basketball fans agreeing with you. Well, most college basketball fans outside of NC HATE Duke, so big deal. And I'm not sure we should be making any conclusions based on an online poll. How many times did you vote?

  15. #59
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I don't know who they have them beating. ESPN's Insider has them as 5-4 vs. the top 25 RPI. Maybe they go by how the team was ranked at the time they played, I don't know.



    And I agree that WVU may be better than Duke, there's certainly an argument there. But I don't think it's completely ridiculous that Duke is #1 over WVU.

    As for the 90% of college basketball fans agreeing with you. Well, most college basketball fans outside of NC HATE Duke, so big deal. And I'm not sure we should be making any conclusions based on an online poll. How many times did you vote?
    You can only vote once. And I concede that there is a lot of hate for Duke, but those results were just ridiculous.

    The ridiculous part to me is that if you flipped the two resumes, it would still be Duke getting the 1 seed. And like I said, I didn't mind getting the #2 in their bracket, and that is what I am most bitter about.

  16. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Duke has the easiest route to the final four, that's not even debatable IMO.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25