Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152 LastLast
Results 751 to 765 of 778

Thread: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

  1. #751
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,304

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Is Stevens going to be doing Amex commercials?
    You bet, if he can get them.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #752
    Just The Big Picture macro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    6,150

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I'm sure Rick Barnes will withdraw his name from consideration, if he had an offer or not.


    I haven't cared for Barnes ever since he did that and I think he made it clear twice in three years that he wasn't interested in coaching at Kentucky. Hopefully he won't get another chance to "turn the job down" for a long time.

    Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

  4. #753
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post


    I haven't cared for Barnes ever since he did that and I think he made it clear twice in three years that he wasn't interested in coaching at Kentucky. Hopefully he won't get another chance to "turn the job down" for a long time.
    Difference is, Barnes is from North Carolina. I think he would be more likely to listen.

    I do agree though, especially since he was never actually offered and only used it to get a raise in Austin both times.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  5. #754
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,304

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Stevens signs a 12 year extension with Butler.

    http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m...ases/040810aaa

  6. #755
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,487

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    I'd be surprised if Stevens stays there the length of that contract. He'll have a huge buyout now though.

  7. #756
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,132

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I'd be surprised if Stevens stays there the length of that contract. He'll have a huge buyout now though.
    The length of the contract is mainly ceremonial. He was "under contract" for the next season so it's not like he needed to be renewed for Butler to lock him up. What it means is he's not going anywhere this year. Every time a big school calls him at the end of the season, he'll probably get another extension.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  8. #757
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Anyone know whether or not he gives the vibe that he'd be amenable to spending his entire career at Butler? He could build something very impressive there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  9. #758
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,132

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    It's hard to say WMR. I've speculated that a finals run takes him out of the running for most jobs that someone from Butler goes to.

    He'd have no reason to go to Nebraska(like Collier) Xavier(like Matta) or Iowa(Lickliter.) Butler is already as prestigious as those programs if not more.
    He doesn't need to go to stepping stone program.

    Really he's going to be on the short list for any job he wanted but short of say Kansas, Kentucky or IU, I'm not sure where would be a definitive step up for him at this point.

    Wake Forest would have been an interesting case because they have basketball tradition(were #1 just a few years ago) but are clearly a step down in prestige from Duke and UNC.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  10. #759
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Yanno... just thinking about it a little more, can you REALLY see him saying no to one of the blueblood programs (UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke)? The Hoosiers have much deeper pockets than Butler... maybe they get some of their rich alumnus together and put together a Calipari-level deal... Butler can't pay their basketball coach 4.5 million per season, they just can't.

    It's amusing to now see the Memphis fans who have totally cursed the name Calipari--the same fans who would still be idolizing him to this day if he hadn't accepted his dream job--so completely embrace Josh Pastner. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Kentucky came and claimed another coach from them ten years from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  11. #760
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,304

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It's hard to say WMR. I've speculated that a finals run takes him out of the running for most jobs that someone from Butler goes to.

    He'd have no reason to go to Nebraska(like Collier) Xavier(like Matta) or Iowa(Lickliter.) Butler is already as prestigious as those programs if not more.
    He doesn't need to go to stepping stone program.

    Really he's going to be on the short list for any job he wanted but short of say Kansas, Kentucky or IU, I'm not sure where would be a definitive step up for him at this point.

    Wake Forest would have been an interesting case because they have basketball tradition(were #1 just a few years ago) but are clearly a step down in prestige from Duke and UNC.
    I agree I don't see him leaving unless it's for a "destination" job, but those jobs don't open up every year. I know some of my friends are saying that since he didn't leave this year he won't leave at all. I disagree with them though, I still think there's a good possibility he would leave but this year the right job wasn't open.

    And it may be several years before that right job opens up and maybe by that time he'll have built Butler into something that will keep him in Indy.

  12. #761
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,132

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Yanno... just thinking about it a little more, can you REALLY see him saying no to one of the blueblood programs (UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke)? The Hoosiers have much deeper pockets than Butler... maybe they get some of their rich alumnus together and put together a Calipari-level deal... Butler can't pay their basketball coach 4.5 million per season, they just can't.

    It's amusing to now see the Memphis fans who have totally cursed the name Calipari--the same fans who would still be idolizing him to this day if he hadn't accepted his dream job--so completely embrace Josh Pastner. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Kentucky came and claimed another coach from them ten years from now.
    Well as I mentioned Kansas, Kentucky and IU i'd say yeah he'd probably leave for a job like that if offered. I didn't mention UNC, Duke or UCLA because he's not from the area so they may not be as good of fits.

    My point was that there are no more stepping stones for him. It's like when Huggins had so much success in 92-93 with UC. After that the only jobs he was mentioned being in the running for were WVa(his Alma Mater) and the NBA jobs. At the time the true Blue Blood programs only had two coaching changes(Smith for Pitino and Lavin for Harrick) As I understand it, neither looked at Huggins very closely.

    But the point of my rambling is this. Unless the university is offering so much more money than Butler, there's no reason for Stevens to go to a Texas A&M, a Oklahoma State, a Purdue(not that Painter's going anywhere) a Michigan, etc.... His program has acheived more than those programs have in the past 10 years.
    Possible locations I could see it making sense for him to go:

    Kansas
    Michigan State
    Kentucky
    Indiana(only for local ties, I acknowledge they're not on the list otherwise)
    Duke
    North Carolina
    UCLA
    The Ohio State University(just because they can pay an insane amount of money)
    Texas(See above: these two universities have the financial resources that dwarf pretty much everyone else. Plus unlike SEC schools not named Kentucky, they actually care about basketball.)


    Now tell me when the coaches from one of those programs is leaving.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 04-09-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added tOSU and UT
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  13. #762
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,075

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Butler's not as prestigious as Xavier based on one Final Four run. But you're right that if Mack were to leave Xavier Stevens isn't going to leave Butler for Xavier now. Things have definitely changed since Matta left.

  14. #763
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,132

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Butler's not as prestigious as Xavier based on one Final Four run. But you're right that if Mack were to leave Xavier Stevens isn't going to leave Butler for Xavier now. Things have definitely changed since Matta left.
    Ya know what I find amusing? How getting to the Championship game is seen as no more of an accomplishment than the final four. It's like there's the Champion and three runners up.

    Not a complaint just an observation.

    I agree with your overall point. If Butler and Xavier both came open tomorrow. Xavier would still be able to attract a better coach. Let's face it a lot of jobs around the country would make that claim against Butler. However, none of them are a big enough jump to have value to someone who's already proven that he can in fact get to the final four at Butler.

    I think the list of schools I mentioned is a big enough jump. Anyone off the list I just dont' see it.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  15. #764
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Kansas
    Michigan State
    Kentucky
    Indiana(only for local ties, I acknowledge they're not on the list otherwise)
    Duke
    North Carolina
    UCLA
    The Ohio State University(just because they can pay an insane amount of money)
    Texas(See above: these two universities have the financial resources that dwarf pretty much everyone else. Plus unlike SEC schools not named Kentucky, they actually care about basketball.)


    Now tell me when the coaches from one of those programs is leaving.
    I mentioned Indiana on another board and I could see that being a real possibility in a couple of seasons if the fans get impatient waiting on Crean to turn things around. I ultimately think Crean will and he is one of the better in-game coaches in the nation, but he is having to rebuild from the ground up. IU right now IMO is the 4th best program in the entire state (Butler, Purdue, and Notre Dame are better).

    UCLA maybe, but I doubt it. Ben Howland is like Billy Donovan, he is going to get a break for his past success even if he has fallen on hard times right now. Then again, the entire Pac-10 is down.

    Texas could be interesting for another reason. Rick Barnes is a North Carolina native and has been mentioned as a possibility at Wake Forest. If he would decide to leave, Texas could make a run at Stevens. I doubt either happens though.

    Actually, nevermind. I've been told that Rick Barnes has withdrew his name from the Wake Forest coaching search.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  16. #765
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,495

    Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    And it may be several years before that right job opens up and maybe by that time he'll have built Butler into something that will keep him in Indy.
    I'm with you. It's kind of like what Mark Few has going at Gonzaga. His name now gets him into the living rooms of a ton of recruits. They play a bunch of big names in the out of conference porition of the schedule, which gets them on tv a lot. Then they get to roll through their conference, which pretty much guarantees they'll get a solid seed each year in the NCAAs.

    And in all of that, Few (and likely Stevens) don't have to worry as much about delusional fan bases demanding Final Fours every year. They get to coach good kids who generally want to go to class and play college ball for 4 years. They're kids who come in with a chip on their shoulders because they weren't courted by the big dogs. The coaches can develop players over time and not have to worry about kids jumping to the NBA after a year or two.

    For Stevens, he also has the upside of being in hoops happy country. If all he ever does is recruit Indiana and the bordering states, he has a tremendous amount of talent within driving distance of Indy.

    Staying, at least for a while, makes a lot of sense.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25