Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152 LastLast

Thread: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Is Stevens going to be doing Amex commercials?
    You bet, if he can get them.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I'm sure Rick Barnes will withdraw his name from consideration, if he had an offer or not.

I haven't cared for Barnes ever since he did that and I think he made it clear twice in three years that he wasn't interested in coaching at Kentucky. Hopefully he won't get another chance to "turn the job down" for a long time.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

I haven't cared for Barnes ever since he did that and I think he made it clear twice in three years that he wasn't interested in coaching at Kentucky. Hopefully he won't get another chance to "turn the job down" for a long time.
    Difference is, Barnes is from North Carolina. I think he would be more likely to listen.

I do agree though, especially since he was never actually offered and only used it to get a raise in Austin both times.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Stevens signs a 12 year extension with Butler.

http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m...ases/040810aaa

Stat geek...and proud

I'd be surprised if Stevens stays there the length of that contract. He'll have a huge buyout now though.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I'd be surprised if Stevens stays there the length of that contract. He'll have a huge buyout now though.
    The length of the contract is mainly ceremonial. He was "under contract" for the next season so it's not like he needed to be renewed for Butler to lock him up. What it means is he's not going anywhere this year. Every time a big school calls him at the end of the season, he'll probably get another extension.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Anyone know whether or not he gives the vibe that he'd be amenable to spending his entire career at Butler? He could build something very impressive there.

It's hard to say WMR. I've speculated that a finals run takes him out of the running for most jobs that someone from Butler goes to.

He'd have no reason to go to Nebraska(like Collier) Xavier(like Matta) or Iowa(Lickliter.) Butler is already as prestigious as those programs if not more.
    He doesn't need to go to stepping stone program.

Really he's going to be on the short list for any job he wanted but short of say Kansas, Kentucky or IU, I'm not sure where would be a definitive step up for him at this point.

Wake Forest would have been an interesting case because they have basketball tradition(were #1 just a few years ago) but are clearly a step down in prestige from Duke and UNC.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Yanno... just thinking about it a little more, can you REALLY see him saying no to one of the blueblood programs (UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke)? The Hoosiers have much deeper pockets than Butler... maybe they get some of their rich alumnus together and put together a Calipari-level deal... Butler can't pay their basketball coach 4.5 million per season, they just can't.

It's amusing to now see the Memphis fans who have totally cursed the name Calipari--the same fans who would still be idolizing him to this day if he hadn't accepted his dream job--so completely embrace Josh Pastner. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Kentucky came and claimed another coach from them ten years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It's hard to say WMR. I've speculated that a finals run takes him out of the running for most jobs that someone from Butler goes to.

He'd have no reason to go to Nebraska(like Collier) Xavier(like Matta) or Iowa(Lickliter.) Butler is already as prestigious as those programs if not more.
    He doesn't need to go to stepping stone program.

Really he's going to be on the short list for any job he wanted but short of say Kansas, Kentucky or IU, I'm not sure where would be a definitive step up for him at this point.

Wake Forest would have been an interesting case because they have basketball tradition(were #1 just a few years ago) but are clearly a step down in prestige from Duke and UNC.
    I agree I don't see him leaving unless it's for a "destination" job, but those jobs don't open up every year. I know some of my friends are saying that since he didn't leave this year he won't leave at all. I disagree with them though, I still think there's a good possibility he would leave but this year the right job wasn't open.

And it may be several years before that right job opens up and maybe by that time he'll have built Butler into something that will keep him in Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Yanno... just thinking about it a little more, can you REALLY see him saying no to one of the blueblood programs (UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke)? The Hoosiers have much deeper pockets than Butler... maybe they get some of their rich alumnus together and put together a Calipari-level deal... Butler can't pay their basketball coach 4.5 million per season, they just can't.

It's amusing to now see the Memphis fans who have totally cursed the name Calipari--the same fans who would still be idolizing him to this day if he hadn't accepted his dream job--so completely embrace Josh Pastner. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Kentucky came and claimed another coach from them ten years from now.
    Well as I mentioned Kansas, Kentucky and IU i'd say yeah he'd probably leave for a job like that if offered. I didn't mention UNC, Duke or UCLA because he's not from the area so they may not be as good of fits.

My point was that there are no more stepping stones for him. It's like when Huggins had so much success in 92-93 with UC. After that the only jobs he was mentioned being in the running for were WVa(his Alma Mater) and the NBA jobs. At the time the true Blue Blood programs only had two coaching changes(Smith for Pitino and Lavin for Harrick) As I understand it, neither looked at Huggins very closely.

But the point of my rambling is this. Unless the university is offering so much more money than Butler, there's no reason for Stevens to go to a Texas A&M, a Oklahoma State, a Purdue(not that Painter's going anywhere) a Michigan, etc.... His program has acheived more than those programs have in the past 10 years.
    Possible locations I could see it making sense for him to go:

Kansas
    Michigan State
    Kentucky
    Indiana(only for local ties, I acknowledge they're not on the list otherwise)
    Duke
    North Carolina
    UCLA
    The Ohio State University(just because they can pay an insane amount of money)
    Texas(See above: these two universities have the financial resources that dwarf pretty much everyone else. Plus unlike SEC schools not named Kentucky, they actually care about basketball.)

Now tell me when the coaches from one of those programs is leaving.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 04-09-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added tOSU and UT

Butler's not as prestigious as Xavier based on one Final Four run. But you're right that if Mack were to leave Xavier Stevens isn't going to leave Butler for Xavier now. Things have definitely changed since Matta left.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Butler's not as prestigious as Xavier based on one Final Four run. But you're right that if Mack were to leave Xavier Stevens isn't going to leave Butler for Xavier now. Things have definitely changed since Matta left.
    Ya know what I find amusing? How getting to the Championship game is seen as no more of an accomplishment than the final four. It's like there's the Champion and three runners up.

Not a complaint just an observation.

I agree with your overall point. If Butler and Xavier both came open tomorrow. Xavier would still be able to attract a better coach. Let's face it a lot of jobs around the country would make that claim against Butler. However, none of them are a big enough jump to have value to someone who's already proven that he can in fact get to the final four at Butler.

I think the list of schools I mentioned is a big enough jump. Anyone off the list I just dont' see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Kansas
    Michigan State
    Kentucky
    Indiana(only for local ties, I acknowledge they're not on the list otherwise)
    Duke
    North Carolina
    UCLA
    The Ohio State University(just because they can pay an insane amount of money)
    Texas(See above: these two universities have the financial resources that dwarf pretty much everyone else. Plus unlike SEC schools not named Kentucky, they actually care about basketball.)

Now tell me when the coaches from one of those programs is leaving.
    I mentioned Indiana on another board and I could see that being a real possibility in a couple of seasons if the fans get impatient waiting on Crean to turn things around. I ultimately think Crean will and he is one of the better in-game coaches in the nation, but he is having to rebuild from the ground up. IU right now IMO is the 4th best program in the entire state (Butler, Purdue, and Notre Dame are better).

UCLA maybe, but I doubt it. Ben Howland is like Billy Donovan, he is going to get a break for his past success even if he has fallen on hard times right now. Then again, the entire Pac-10 is down.

Texas could be interesting for another reason. Rick Barnes is a North Carolina native and has been mentioned as a possibility at Wake Forest. If he would decide to leave, Texas could make a run at Stevens. I doubt either happens though.

Actually, nevermind. I've been told that Rick Barnes has withdrew his name from the Wake Forest coaching search.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    And it may be several years before that right job opens up and maybe by that time he'll have built Butler into something that will keep him in Indy.
    I'm with you. It's kind of like what Mark Few has going at Gonzaga. His name now gets him into the living rooms of a ton of recruits. They play a bunch of big names in the out of conference porition of the schedule, which gets them on tv a lot. Then they get to roll through their conference, which pretty much guarantees they'll get a solid seed each year in the NCAAs.

And in all of that, Few (and likely Stevens) don't have to worry as much about delusional fan bases demanding Final Fours every year. They get to coach good kids who generally want to go to class and play college ball for 4 years. They're kids who come in with a chip on their shoulders because they weren't courted by the big dogs. The coaches can develop players over time and not have to worry about kids jumping to the NBA after a year or two.

For Stevens, he also has the upside of being in hoops happy country. If all he ever does is recruit Indiana and the bordering states, he has a tremendous amount of talent within driving distance of Indy.

Staying, at least for a while, makes a lot of sense.

Turn Off Ads?