Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152

Thread: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Re: 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

If Texas ever got a real coach who could do more than recruit they would be a monster.

Of course, as I type that, they're supposed to have another top 10 team next season. We'll see I guess.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

- Wake Forest has targeted Colorado's Jeff Bzdelik to replace Dino Gaudio. Sources indicate it could be done within the next day or two.

- Clemson has, according to sources, spoken to ex-Boston College coach Al Skinner and Wright State's Brad Brownell. The Tigers have also reached out to Wofford's Mike Young - who went to the NCAA tournament this past season.

- Charlotte has tabbed Ohio State assistant Alan Major to replace Bobby Lutz. Major was the dark-horse in a group that also included Russell Springmann (Texas), Pat Kelsey (Wake Forest) and Joe Dooley (Kansas). Mike Hopkins, the future coach at Syracuse, turned down the gig.
    http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 04-09-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added link

I think Brownell would be a good hire for Clemson and I think he'd be wise to take it. The sheen has come off a little bit with Wright State not keeping up with Butler recently but he had a lot of success at UNC Wilmington.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think Brownell would be a good hire for Clemson and I think he'd be wise to take it. The sheen has come off a little bit with Wright State not keeping up with Butler recently but he had a lot of success at UNC Wilmington.
    I couldn't agree more.

Baylor coach Scott Drew spoke with Clemson officials earlier today, according to a source. He is believed to be interviewing for the position today along with Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...l-coach-heats/

Wake Forest will hire Colorado coach Jeff Bzdelik to replace Dino Gaudio.

FOXSports.com reported that Bzdelik was the frontrunner on Friday and the two sides have agreed to a deal, according to multiple sources.

Bzdelik, 57, has been at Colorado for the past three years and spent two seasons in the NBA as the head coach of the Denver Nuggets from 2002-04.

He and Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman, a former college baseball coach, have a relationship that dates back to when both were at Northwestern.

Bzdelik's daughter also attends Wake Forest.

Prior to taking the Colorado job in 2007, Bzdelik compiled a 50-16 record in two seasons at Air Force from 2005-07 and went to the NCAA tournament.

Bzdelik has also been a college assistant at Davidson, Northwestern and UMBC and has been in the NBA as an assistant and scout for 15 years.

Bzdelik would take over a Wake Forest program that has lost three players early to the NBA in the last two seasons: James Johnson and Jeff Teague last year and Al-Farouq Aminu this year.

The front-runner to replace Bzdelik is Colorado assistant Steve McClain - a former head coach at Wyoming.

Mississippi State coach Rick Stansbury is staying in Starkville.

According to multiple sources, Stansbury was targeted by Clemson and was set to accept the job, but a hefty buyout may have gotten in the way of Stansbury leaving for the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

Kansas
    Michigan State
    Kentucky
    Indiana(only for local ties, I acknowledge they're not on the list otherwise)
    Duke
    North Carolina
    UCLA
    The Ohio State University(just because they can pay an insane amount of money)
    Texas(See above: these two universities have the financial resources that dwarf pretty much everyone else. Plus unlike SEC schools not named Kentucky, they actually care about basketball.)
    MSU is a coach right now. I wouldn't want to see that program without Izzo.

Indiana is also very interesting. They have been a disaster ever since Knight left. I don't see them as a top tier program anymore but that can always change.

OSU is not there just because of money. They have some of the best facilities in the game, NBA or College. Its one problem I have with their arena but prospects like that luxury.

Texas is in the same boat as OSU. Big AD budgets and great facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Indiana is also very interesting. They have been a disaster ever since Knight left. I don't see them as a top tier program anymore but that can always change.

OSU is not there just because of money. They have some of the best facilities in the game, NBA or College. Its one problem I have with their arena but prospects like that luxury.

Obviously that's all related. tOSU and Texas both have enough money to build whatever a coach and recruits want and can spend as much money as they want on a coach. I simply listed them as programs that aren't considered blue bloods by reputation but as a program that has the resources to hire a top level coach.

Indiana has certainly fallen on hard times recently but its still the dominant team in Indiana in terms of fan support and coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Just thinking off the top of my head, but didn't Ohio State play some games in Nationwide Arena?

If I were tOSU, I would look into securing a lease with the Blue Jackets for the arena. A new arena could be a major drawing tool to recruits. See Memphis and the FedExForum.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Just thinking off the top of my head, but didn't Ohio State play some games in Nationwide Arena?

If I were tOSU, I would look into securing a lease with the Blue Jackets for the arena. A new arena could be a major drawing tool to recruits. See Memphis and the FedExForum.

Ohio State doesn't have any trouble pulling in recruits and they play in a still new NBA style arena.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

Ohio State doesn't have any trouble pulling in recruits and they play in a still new NBA style arena.
    True. My point is though that if the Schott is the only complaint, there is a new arena in Columbus that has housed college basketball before.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=5088162
    Gordon Hayward declares for the draft. He didn't sign with an agent though. I'm kinda surprised by this one, I thought he'd be back for sure.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

True. My point is though that if the Schott is the only complaint, there is a new arena in Columbus that has housed college basketball before.

The complaints about the Schott are that it's TOO MUCH like an NBA arena. Not a very festive college atmosphere.

The place is a palace though. It sparkles from head to toe and I can't imagine an arena in the country with more amenities. It's just kind of a ho hum place once the game starts because it's so cavernous.

It's funny... My alma mater's high school girls team made the state tourney at the Schott this year and they had the entire upper deck curtained off. It made the place much more enjoyable.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?