Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker teaches hitting...

Dusty Baker teaches hitting...

2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty Baker teaches hitting...

7000 MLB ab's an OPS + of 116 and this is what his legacy is?

Not for me... but ya'll have fun.

Dusty walked 762 times in his MLB career and had an OBP .069 higher than his BA and yet he gets treated by folks around here as if he advocates everyone hacking like Jeff Francuer.

Sad.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    7000 MLB ab's an OPS + of 116 and this is what his legacy is?

Not for me... but ya'll have fun.
    oh woy...

really you could have plugged in any manager's pic there. it was light hearted. Baker was a great player and he has a long legacy to be proud of. And as a manager of people, the Reds haven't seen his like since Sparky.

I hate that he gets a little locked in when it comes to lineups, and i do think he prefers vets playing over kids, but he sure seems to have a real handle on how to teach those kids. He's a fascinating person, and I think there is a book in him someday.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Sparkey didn't have a HS education, and was very prone to saying loads of stupid stuff.

Lighthearted?

Nah, he's the team punching bag, day in and day out.

That's pretty old. I first saw that maybe a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    That's pretty old. I first saw that maybe a year ago.
    Yeah... Just saw it for the first time on a Cards message board today... Thought it was innocent and funny... Forgot that this was the serious club.

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Sparkey didn't have a HS education, and was very prone to saying loads of stupid stuff.

Lighthearted?

Nah, he's the team punching bag, day in and day out.
    I agree on the saying of stupid stuff. Dusty does it all the time too. I meant how they handle players internally. both have been raved about for that.

Dusty may be the team punching bag, but every manager is to an extent. Reds managers especially. McKeon was destroyed by reds fans and all he did was win there.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    ... McKeon was destroyed by reds fans and all he did was win there.
    Jack made me cringe with his references to -- and apparent reliance upon -- luck and fate.

I'm paraphrasing, but he said things like:

"I pinch hit that guy because he was overdue."

"If we could just catch a break here and there."

"He's 0 for 12 against this pitcher; the odds were in his favor."

"Pokey's my good luck charm."

This chart exaggerates and oversimplifies but I'd still argue that it does a pretty good job of describing Dusty's offensive philosophy as a manager here and now, though not as a player in the late 60s through mid-80s.

If you pay attention every day over a period of years to which players he favors and how he manages games, his preference for hitters with higher batting averages over hitters with higher on base percentages is very clear. Dusty wants aggressive hitters who can run and those he perceives as being good with men on base. He doesn't value patient hitters who get on base more often and who make pitchers throw more pitches. That's not some crazy statement he makes to the media here and there, in my opinion, it's how he manages and how he talks about players every day.

If you pay attention every day over a period of years to which players he favors and how he manages games, his preference for hitters with higher batting averages over hitters with higher on base percentages is very clear.
    Batting average is a part of ob%.

I saw Dusty manage every year in SF, up close and personal, ya know what Dusty likes?

Guys like Jeff Kent, Bill Mueller, JT Snow and Ellis Burkes, guys that hit the ball and can take a walk, guys who are agressive with balls in the zone and guys that know when to lay off the balls out of the zone. The one place he gives up that type of player on a regular basis is teh gusy who play skilled defensive positions, there is where Dusty throws the batting skills aside more often than not.

Batting average is a part of ob%.

I saw Dusty manage every year in SF, up close and personal, ya know what Dusty likes?

Guys like Jeff Kent, Bill Mueller, JT Snow and Ellis Burkes, guys that hit the ball and can take a walk, guys who are agressive with balls in the zone and guys that know when to lay off the balls out of the zone. The one place he gives up that type of player on a regular basis is teh gusy who play skilled defensive positions, there is where Dusty throws the batting skills aside more often than not.
    Which explains why he loves Stubbs so much (as do I)...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

old yes, exaggerated yes, some truth to it......absolutely
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Dusty is universally loved compared to some of his recent predecessors...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Dusty is universally loved compared to some of his recent predecessors...

Not by me. I think it's hilarious.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?