Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you start in CF?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Stubbs

27 47.37%
  • Chris Dickerson

9 15.79%
  • Strict Righty/Lefty Platoon with both

19 33.33%
  • Other

2 3.51%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If the season started today... (CF version)

If the season started today... (CF version)

We are halfway done with Spring Training. At this point, who do you want starting in CF on Opening Day?
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-16-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the season started today...(CF version)

I'd go:

vs. LHP:
    Stubbs CF/Gomes RF

vs. RHP:
    Dickerson CF/Gomes/Balentin/Francisco////RF

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

No question for me here ... platoon all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'd go:

vs. LHP:
    Stubbs CF/Gomes RF

vs. RHP:
    Dickerson CF/Gomes/Balentin/Francisco////RF
    I agree w/ this, but with a question:

With the young guys, at what point do you give them an honest-to-God shot to face the LHP (for lefties) and RHP (for righties)? I mean, at some point, you have to find out if the kids are platoon players are everyday players.

The thing I don't know is how and when (if?) do you go about giving them enough AB's to find out? Heck, is a full season even enough to know? I honestly don't know the answer here and curious as to y'alls take.

I go with Stubbs. If he can't make it, then you platoon them. But he needs more than a month or two to prove it.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    I agree w/ this, but with a question:

With the young guys, at what point do you give them an honest-to-God shot to face the LHP (for lefties) and RHP (for righties)? I mean, at some point, you have to find out if the kids are platoon players are everyday players.

The thing I don't know is how and when (if?) do you go about giving them enough AB's to find out? Heck, is a full season even enough to know? I honestly don't know the answer here and curious as to y'alls take.
    When someone gets hurt, or when someone is performing at such a high level that you want to have them in the lineup everyday.

Knowing Dickerson's injury history, Stubbs is sure to get a shot to hit the righties at some point. Similarly, if Dickerson outperforms Stubbs during the regular season the same way he is at the moment, he'll get his chance against lefties.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: If the season started today... (CF version)

I don't really think Dickerson deserves a chance against lefties. He never hit them in the minors, and it's pretty nieve to think he's magically going to magically figure it out in the majors. However, at the same time, he's smoked RHP throughout his major league career, and he deserves a chance to play against them.

Stubbs should be playing CF against LHP and Dickerson should be playing somewhere (whether it be LF or CF) against RHP. The question is, do you want Dickerson in LF and Stubbs in CF vs. RHP, or do you want Dickerson in CF and Gomes, Balentin, or somebody else in LF.

I think playing Dickerson in LF greatly diminishes his value. Looking at the splits, I'd honestly consider playing Dickerson in CF and giving Balentin a shot in LF against RHP. You can always mix and match as well.

I like Dickerson as the fourth outfielder, where he will get plenty of playing time, more than in a strict platoon.

I want Stubbs' defense in CF everyday.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

April I start Stubbs in CF, Dickerson in LF, and I bat them one two in the lineup with Dickerson leading off. I want to see if speed kills the opposition by putting pressure on them and maybe adding another run or two, and if Votto is going to have someone to drive in. I want the pitching to get all the help they can from the defense. I see how it works out in April, and make adjustments if it doesn’t work.
    Code:
    C. Dickerson	vs. Right			vs. Left
    		AB    AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS 	AB    AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS
    2009		218  .280 .378 .385 .763	37   .243 .326 .297 .623
    2008		81   .309 .411 .654 1.065	21   .286 .423 .429 .852
    AB Total	299				58

D. Stubbs	vs. Right			vs. Left
    		AB    AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS 	AB    AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS
    2009		138  .261 .320 .420 .740	42   .286 .333 .500 .833
    AB Total	138				42
    Both are small samples, especially against left handed pitching which doesn’t concern me because the Reds will face right handed pitching by far over left handed pitching. The majority of Reds batters can hit left handed pitching.

We are getting too caught up in spring training stats when discussing the CF job. The same mentality allows players like Darnell McDonald and Joses Manzinillo to make the opening day roster. Too much variance between at bats and pitchers, and some guys come out hot, others take awhile to find their stroke. We can still worry about the historical performance of a certain player, but the spring training stats are near worthless. Last weekend, a key example of this was against the White Sox. They brought in a left handed reliever(whose name i forget) throwing smoke. Marty and Jeff were impressed by his stuff. He struck out Stubbs on 4 pitches, and Miguel Cairo on three. The next guy to come in was an older guy who had knocked around and was a nonroster invitee. The Reds knocked him around a little so those players stats improved. Two days ago they got a very bad version of Ben Sheets, and beat him up. Dickerson had a couple of hits off him. From the sounds of it, I could have hit him that day.

At this point you have to trust what your own scouts are saying about your players. Stats are worthless.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    We are getting too caught up in spring training stats when discussing the CF job. The same mentality allows players like Darnell McDonald and Joses Manzinillo to make the opening day roster. Too much variance between at bats and pitchers, and some guys come out hot, others take awhile to find their stroke. We can still worry about the historical performance of a certain player, but the spring training stats are near worthless. Last weekend, a key example of this was against the White Sox. They brought in a left handed reliever(whose name i forget) throwing smoke. Marty and Jeff were impressed by his stuff. He struck out Stubbs on 4 pitches, and Miguel Cairo on three. The next guy to come in was an older guy who had knocked around and was a nonroster invitee. The Reds knocked him around a little so those players stats improved. Two days ago they got a very bad version of Ben Sheets, and beat him up. Dickerson had a couple of hits off him. From the sounds of it, I could have hit him that day.

At this point you have to trust what your own scouts are saying about your players. Stats are worthless.

For older players, I would agree with this assessment but with Stubbs not so much. He doesn't have a track record of being a great hitter at any level and I think it is a real possibility that he could be hitting in the low .200's by mid May. Dickerson provides a very nice fall back plan if Stubbs does get the job and struggles. Thats a good thing.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Give Stubbs a full season to show what he can do. At the end of the year we will know what we have and he will have developed against big league pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    For older players, I would agree with this assessment but with Stubbs not so much. He doesn't have a track record of being a great hitter at any level and I think it is a real possibility that he could be hitting in the low .200's by mid May. Dickerson provides a very nice fall back plan if Stubbs does get the job and struggles. Thats a good thing.
    So you are saying that Drew Stubbs is special and that he needs to come out of the chute in midseason form? Spring training is spring training. Never get caught up in the stats, trust your scouts.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Since our CF has to be our lead-off hitter, I think I would like to see Dickerson get a crack at the job. I voted for just him, but after seeing minor league splits of each, I may be tempted to change my pick to plattoon.

At this point in ST, I'd platoon them until someone earns it in the regular season. Of course, I'm not going to be fully swayed by Dewayne Wise like stats of CDick in the first two weeks of the spring.
    Win the Division

Turn Off Ads?