Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should open the season as SP#5?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Matt Maloney

30 54.55%
  • Travis Wood

1 1.82%
  • Aroldis Chapman

17 30.91%
  • Mike Leake

6 10.91%
  • Kip Wells

0 0%
  • Justin Lehr

1 1.82%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the season started today... (5th starter version)

If the season started today... (5th starter version)

Who would you want as the 5th starter?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the season started today... (5th starter version)

I'd go Maloney until Chapman proved he was ready, both physically and emotionally. But I also wouldn't be afraid to call Chapman's number.

(Nor Leake's, for that matter.)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

If his contract was not a factor, it would clearly be Chapman for me. But as is ... hmmm, will have to think about it. I bet Maloney will win the job initially and keep the seat warm for Chapman, but the poll question is who do you WANT to win the job, not who do you THINK will win the job. I want Chapman to win it but I also don't want his contract to be negatively affected from the Reds' standpoint. So, I'm torn here and not quite sure how to answer this poll.

And I wonder where you suddenly got the idea to start a poll on the No. 5 starter and a poll on Dickerson v Stubbs! Haha. Or maybe it is a coincidence that I started a thread with those same topics an hour before yours. Just givin' you a hard time my Evan Turner/Jim Tressel hating friend.

Maloney.

Chapman, imo, needs time to acclimate in AAA (not to mention his contract situation dictates he HAS to stay in the minors til May 15, right?) and Leake should be starting most of the year at AAA as well until one of BA or AH are traded or injury. Otherwise, he should spend the season in the minors and he'll make the club next spring.
    Last edited by SirFelixCat; 03-17-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Chapman is the best pitcher.

Whether or not his contact will allow it or not, we'll see.

Leake.

His has the best stuff next to Chapman and is far more polished and poised than anyone else. He seems like a real smart kid who is way ahead of most other players intellectually and emotionally. He pitches like he's a ten year veteran. The only issue is if he is strong enough to go deep into games.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Leake.

His has the best stuff next to Chapman and is far more polished and poised than anyone else. He seems like a real smart kid who is way ahead of most other players intellectually and emotionally. He pitches like he's a ten year veteran. The only issue is if he is strong enough to go deep into games.
    This would be my second choice.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I second Blitz. My heart wants Chapman, but my brain says it would be a bad deal for the Reds.

I vote for MM-- I like Chapman and Leake, but I don't think there is any reason to rush them and push the arbitration clock. We'll see both this year (no way the 5 pitchers in the rotation don't miss starts/go on dl) and the coming years.
    Where we gonna go?

Ive come around to Maloney. He may be the most refined young pitcher the Reds have right now.

Maloney
    - He's as ready as he's ever going to be.
    - Projection systems suggest he could be a solid 4.50-4.75 ERA type guy.
    - Even if Leake/Wood/Chapman are the long term solutions, Maloney is trade bait and starting a bit would help increase his value.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If the ASB rolls around, and Chapman is tearing up AAA AND Maloney has a sub 4.00 ERA, what would you do? This assumes no problems with the health/performance of the rest of the rotation.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If the ASB rolls around, and Chapman is tearing up AAA AND Maloney has a sub 4.00 ERA, what would you do? This assumes no problems with the health/performance of the rest of the rotation.
    Don't forget, that is about when Volquez is due to return. I don't know what you do, but it would be a nice problem to have. Ultimately, w/ Chapman and Leake both close to the majors, and homer & Cueto already there, plus guys like Maloney and woods who are close and potential solid major league starters added to Volquez getting healthy not to mention Arroyo and Harang, someone's going to get dealt this season no matter how well the Reds are or are not doing.

to answer your question, if the top 4 are performing as expected (or at least as hoped) and maloney is a sub 4.00 ERA and Chapman is tearing things up and Volquez is about to come off the DL, I think Chapman comes up and works out of the pen the rest of the season until someone is either injuried or traded. My assumption is Volquez goes on a rehap sting under that scenerio, and extended one (is 30 days the longest possible for a pitcher) then reclaims his roll as a starter and Maloney moves to the Pen.

If all that happens, then its probably safe to say that neither Harang or Arroyo are here next year. Either they're traded, or their options are not picked up. I'll also assume that either Cueto, Maloney or Volquez are moved, possible Wood as well and Chapman, Homer, Leake and 2 of the 4 above are your projected starting 5 for several seasons to come.

to the original question,

My heart wants to see Chapman start out here, but my head would like to see him get at least half a season of training down in AAA w/ Soto hanging by his side. I'd like to Leake get at least a season of minor league ball w/ perhaps a september call up. I'd like to see Wood get a full season in AAA this year, which leaves me w/ Maloney who I voted for to keep the seat warm until either Volquez is healthy or one of those mentioned above slams the door open.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Don't forget, that is about when Volquez is due to return. I don't know what you do, but it would be a nice problem to have. Ultimately, w/ Chapman and Leake both close to the majors, and homer & Cueto already there, plus guys like Maloney and woods who are close and potential solid major league starters added to Volquez getting healthy not to mention Arroyo and Harang, someone's going to get dealt this season no matter how well the Reds are or are not doing.

to answer your question, if the top 4 are performing as expected (or at least as hoped) and maloney is a sub 4.00 ERA and Chapman is tearing things up and Volquez is about to come off the DL, I think Chapman comes up and works out of the pen the rest of the season until someone is either injuried or traded. My assumption is Volquez goes on a rehap sting under that scenerio, and extended one (is 30 days the longest possible for a pitcher) then reclaims his roll as a starter and Maloney moves to the Pen.

If all that happens, then its probably safe to say that neither Harang or Arroyo are here next year. Either they're traded, or their options are not picked up. I'll also assume that either Cueto, Maloney or Volquez are moved, possible Wood as well and Chapman, Homer, Leake and 2 of the 4 above are your projected starting 5 for several seasons to come.
    I think the only person expecting Volquez to be back by the ASB is Volquez. I don't expect him before September. I'd rather he got maybe 2-3 starts then and get ready for 2011.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?