Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is best game in the world

Re: What is best game in the world

I'm biased, but golf is the best game. It's the most challenging, by far, most fun to play, and has longevity on it's side.

As far as watching the games, I like to watch the NFL the most followed by MLB and the PGA Tour.

Also, just to be a bit controversial, soccer is the most popular sport only because it's the cheapest. Such a boring sport to watch.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I'm biased, but golf is the best game. It's the most challenging, by far, most fun to play, and has longevity on it's side.

As far as watching the games, I like to watch the NFL the most followed by MLB and the PGA Tour.

Also, just to be a bit controversial, soccer is the most popular sport only because it's the cheapest. Such a boring sport to watch.
    Soccer is boring but golf is not?

And golf being the most challenging sport is kinda laughable too, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Soccer is boring but golf is not?

Lol. Is Tiger boring? Nuff said.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    And golf being the most challenging sport is kinda laughable too, IMO.
    I played 3 varsity sports when I was younger at a very big high school with good sports. I played a year of college soccer as well. I played on a state champ baseball program to boot.

I might not agree that golf is the most challenging sport only because I still think hitting a baseball against good pitching is the most difficult athletic endeavor of everything I've ever done (and I've played most major sports, except hockey, at a pretty high level at one point in my life). I think playing QB in football is also up there (although I never did play it myself).

But over the past 10 years, golf has been my passion and I've worked very hard at trying to master the sport (including some lessons from Redhook ). I don't think there's any question that it's one of the most challenging sports out there. I think a case could be made that it IS the most challenging. Athletic ability can carry you fairly far in most other sports. In golf, natural ability can make you competent, but golf can make fools of some of the best athletes in the world.

The precision it takes to hit a ball consistently is unmatched in any sport, except maybe hitting a baseball. On top of that, you have to manage distances and be able to hit out of differing lies, chip, putt, etc... It's not a sport for someone not willing to put in hours and hours while getting better at a snails pace.

I'm no world class athlete, but I did play many sports at a high enough level to compare the difficulty of each. And golf is as hard as any of them. It might not be the hardest to play, but I think it probably is the hardest to be good at. I can't imagine anyone who seriously plays golf would disagree that it's one of the hardest sports to play well.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Lol. Is Tiger boring? Nuff said.
    So without Tiger it IS boring?

I am not saying that golf is a walk in the park. I guess I took issue with it being stated that golf was the most challenging, by far. I will leave it at that.

Senor Votto

Baseball and real wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Baseball and real wrestling
    It's rare that I find another wrestling fan. I love watching high school and college wrestling and follow both of them fairly closely (Ohio for high school). Definitely one of the more difficult sports and one that's not always easy to watch.

College nationals are coming up and I record all the rounds and watch every match. I'm just happy Brent Metcalfe lost in the B10 to Lance Palmer. He deserved the win. I loathe Tom Brands (no class at all, IMO) and wish there was any chance in hell that they weren't going to win it all.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

baseball but watching hockey in person is a close second.

I am more of a homer than a sports fan so, for me, local teams/favorites come first. As an example, if the 7th game of the World Series was on one channel and the UC Bearcats' football game was on the other, I am going to watch the Bearcats every time.
    That's me exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Baseball is life, all the rest are games.
    Agreed.

For me, its:

1. Baseball

2. Bowling

and then football and basketball.

Is everybody 50 and over in this thread?

Where are all of the "extreme" sports? The outdoor sports? Rock-Climbing, River-Rafting, Fly-Fishing, Bow-Hunting, Marlin-Fishing, Wilderness-Survival, etc.

For the record, I don't fall into the above category.

I'm of the 50 and over group that stuck to the "common" sports, though common where I came from would have included Hunting and Fishing and River-Rafting, so I was uncommon, I guess.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-18-2010 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Is everybody 50 and over in this thread?

Where are all of the "extreme" sports? The outdoor sports? Rock-Climbing, River-Rafting, Fly-Fishing, Bow-Hunting, Marlin-Fishing, Wilderness-Survival, etc.

For the record, I don't fall into the above category.

I'm of the 50 and over group that stuck to the "common" sports, though common where I came from would have included Hunting and Fishing and River-Rafting, so I was uncommon, I guess.
    I'm 31 and have no use for extreme sports or outdoorsman activities. I don't begrudge people the opportunity to participate, but they are not my cup of tea. For watching, reading, listening and playing (not very well anymore), baseball is my game. In the spirit of 320, I'll make my list.

1. Baseball. Nothing else comes close to my lifelong obsession. I've played it, watched it, lived it, breathed it. I even sleep it. No sport offers the endless possibilities for analysis.

2. College hoops. This vaulted to number two when I did my grad work at Xavier and fell in love with the Musketeers. Marshall's resurgence has helped, too.
    3. College football. I'm a diehard Marshall fan and my passion for the Herd raises this sport to top three status.

The rest are all bunched together in differing degrees of interest. I love sports so I have diverse interests.
    4. NFL
    5. Rugby
    6. Soccer (Especially EPL)
    7. Tennis (I used to play at a very high level)
    8. Just about anything competitive.

I am not saying that golf is a walk in the park. I guess I took issue with it being stated that golf was the most challenging, by far. I will leave it at that.
    I stand by my comment. I've played most other sports and golf, IMO, is the most challenging. It's not the most physically challenging, but with the added mental aspect of the game it pushes it to the top.

I just want to say I'm not talking about a Sunday stroll on the course. Shooting a 90 while drinking a few beers is not tough. It's fun and relaxing to play golf casually. However, golf at the highest level, is completely different.

Turn Off Ads?