Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nationals Release Elijah Dukes

Nationals Release Elijah Dukes

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...jah-dukes.html

The Nationals released outfielder Elijah Dukes, according to a team press release. According to a tweet from MASN's Ben Goessling, the move had nothing to do with off-the-field issues...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nationals Release Elijah Dukes

I'd happily take a flyer
    Go BLUE!!!

wow. just, wow. Must have been some kind of clubhouse issue. He has way to much talent.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd happily take a flyer
    Not me.

Stats "projected" over a 162 game season:

BA .242

OBP .349

SLG .421

OPS .770

Jocketty isn't known for picking up guys that are not "group think" baseball players, nor is Baker really either.

To expand on the "not me" stuff...if this were 2006, sure, take a flier. But not now. I like the direction this team is headed, I like the OF options available to it, I like the possiblity that it can deal from general depth to acquire an OF if it desires to, and don't want to inject someone who clearly has emotional challenges.

I'd take a Minor League Flyer.....

Wow, I'm very surprised by this move. He's got a ton of talent and is still only 25. Count me in favor of the Reds picking him up.

I'm betting the Pirates or Royals, Maybe the Giants. And I wouldn't discount Detroit.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I'm not sure he would be worth the risk. The team has some good young talent (especially in the OF) and he wouldn't necessarily upgrade anywhere while having the potential to be quite the distraction.

He has potential, but will he ever reach it and is it worth the downside?

Its the scout in me. You watch Dukes on the field and at-bat and the guy has major talent.

But there has to be some serious being-a-team-guy issues for Washington to dump him. Its not like they are overflowing with OF talent.

Reluctantly, I'd say pass. The Reds are too young to let someone like him pollute the well.

Pay attention to the open sky

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

He won't be unemployed long. Most of the projection systems put him around an .800 OPS.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This is Dukes wakeup call. Not being traded by TB. This. And while the teams i mentioned might have a need or place for him, the smart thing is for them to wait, possibly until the 1st or 2nd week of the season. Then sign him to a minor league contract. Dukes clearly needs to be humbled. Actually, humbled isn't the exact right word. Cold water. slap in the face. shock. Something to make him realize the game is bigger than his attitude towards it and his teammates. He's 25 and filled with talent.

Is he Willie Green, with no love for the game? Or can he be Jim Edmonds, still in love with it at age 39 and determined to win a starting job?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm not sure he would be worth the risk. The team has some good young talent (especially in the OF) and he wouldn't necessarily upgrade anywhere while having the potential to be quite the distraction.

He has potential, but will he ever reach it and is it worth the downside?
    Dukes could easily be the long-term answer in LF. Between Dukes, Balentien, and Francisco, there is ultra upside. At least one of them should realize their potential, and if/when they do, they would reward the Reds for years to come.

That upside should be at least an .820 OPS with above average defense for LF? Count me in.

As far as the downside goes, if he acts up off the field, he's gone. What's the downside?
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?