Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's assume Chapman is in the Opening Day Rotation...

Let's assume Chapman is in the Opening Day Rotation...

And I do not see how he could avoid it at this point.....this would be my rotation (the order I mean):

Harang
    Chapman
    Bailey
    Cueto
    Arroyo

Here's why I would do it this way:

1. In a big three game series against....say, the Cards or the Brewers, I would try to pitch Harang, Chapman and Bailey.

2. Right now, I see Cueto and Arroyo as the least consistent (reliable) starters.

3. In that big series, I would want the guile of Harang (RH) followed by the dominance of Chapman (LH), then the bloodline (number one draft pick) of Bailey. I also think Bailey has really matured with what he has gone through to get to this point.

But doing this brings up some points of controversy.

1. It is tough to make Arroyo the #5 starter after all that he has contributed to the Reds.

2. It would be nice to throw Arroyo right before or after chapman just because of the change of speeds, but Arroyo can be streaky and therefore inconsistent so I really would rather have him as far away from Chapman as possible.

3. We probably have to wait to see who is pitching better, Bailey or Cueto....and make whoever is better at the end of ST the # 3 starter.

I was wondering what everybody else thinks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Let's assume Chapman is in the Opening Day Rotation...

I think if chapman makes the team he has to be the number 5, simply so they can keep his innings down. If you put him in the 2 slot and have him throw 200 innings you are greatly risking destroying his arm. Make him the 5th starter and pick out 20 starts or so for him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I think if chapman makes the team he has to be the number 5, simply so they can keep his innings down. If you put him in the 2 slot and have him throw 200 innings you are greatly risking destroying his arm. Make him the 5th starter and pick out 20 starts or so for him this year.
    It's likely he'll be gone from the Reds anyway in 3 to 4 years, use him up.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 03-18-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It is? I thought he's locked in under the Reds' control for at least 6 years, maybe 7 (there's a player option I believe).

He's ours for 6 years, although if we bring him up before May 15th of this year he could be a lot more expensive than we thought if he pitches great. My hope is he falls in love with the Reds and we keep out Latin connections and he has no desire to play anywhere else. I could see it happening honestly. But thats a topic for 2014.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    And watch in the future as agents shield their guys from the Reds organization.

If he does make the team out of Spring Training as the 5th starter, his first start would be in Miami against the Marlins, which considering it's large Cuban community, would be a nice place for him to start his MLB career.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

If he is the 5th starter, is first chance to pitch will be in... Miami i.e. Cuban refugee heaven. You have to think the Marlins are praying he makes the team and starts his first game there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And watch in the future as agents shield their guys from the Reds organization.
    I'm not advocating 150 pitches a night, but I wouldn't worry about 30+ starts, if he's that good he'll price himself right out of here anyway.

Krono-Negative Nelly.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    And I do not see how he could avoid it at this point.....this would be my rotation (the order I mean):

Harang
    Chapman
    Bailey
    Cueto
    Arroyo

Here's why I would do it this way:

1. In a big three game series against....say, the Cards or the Brewers, I would try to pitch Harang, Chapman and Bailey.

2. Right now, I see Cueto and Arroyo as the least consistent (reliable) starters.

3. In that big series, I would want the guile of Harang (RH) followed by the dominance of Chapman (LH), then the bloodline (number one draft pick) of Bailey. I also think Bailey has really matured with what he has gone through to get to this point.

But doing this brings up some points of controversy.

1. It is tough to make Arroyo the #5 starter after all that he has contributed to the Reds.

2. It would be nice to throw Arroyo right before or after chapman just because of the change of speeds, but Arroyo can be streaky and therefore inconsistent so I really would rather have him as far away from Chapman as possible.

3. We probably have to wait to see who is pitching better, Bailey or Cueto....and make whoever is better at the end of ST the # 3 starter.

I was wondering what everybody else thinks.
    So after 7 spring innings, you're ready to say Chapman is more consistent that Cueto and Arroyo?

If Chapman makes the rotation then I would go with:

Harang
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Chapman

I think Baker also wants Arroyo at #3 because it splits up him and Harang and gives them a maximum of 2 young pitchers in a row before you get back to a veteran.

I want to know how you can come to the conclusion that Chapman and Bailey are better than Cueto and Arroyo at this point. I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    If Chapman makes the rotation then I would go with:

Harang
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Chapman

I think Baker also wants Arroyo at #3 because it splits up him and Harang and gives them a maximum of 2 young pitchers in a row before you get back to a veteran.
    I agree with this line of thought. It also gives teams multiple looks at the top. With Harang and Arroyo it gives you two softer throwers who need their complementary pitches to be there in order to really be successful, while Cueto, Bailey, and Chapman gives you 3 fireballers in any 3 game series you see 1 or 2 of each style and really get a chance to throw teams offbalance.

Like others have said assuming Chapman making the MLB club out of Spring Training he will not be anywhere else but the #5 line in the rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Harang isn't a soft tosser. He brings it most of the time at 92-93 and can ratchet it up to mid-90's if need be.

The entire rotation can throw 90's heat (though that straightens out Arroyo's stuff a great deal), something not many teams can match.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    KronoRed;2038569]I'm not advocating 150 pitches a night, but I wouldn't worry about 30+ starts, if he's that good he'll price himself right out of here anyway.[/B]Krono-Negative Nelly.
    I' agree with Krono here, it's the sad but very true story of small market teams in MLB today.

Turn Off Ads?