Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ron Washington Tested Positive For Cocaine in 2009

Ron Washington Tested Positive For Cocaine in 2009

According to ESPN breaking news. He admitted to a mistake and said he was sorry and embarrassed.

You have to wonder and hope that a certain former Reds outfielder doesn't have any connection to this story....
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ron Washington Tested Positive For Cocaine in 2009

That is absolutly less than ideal news for fans of Josh Hamilton. I am 100% certain that Hamilton does not need to be around a manager who uses.

From the Dallas Morning News.

Though he was tested for drugs shortly after his use, it is not known if he failed. But, according to a source, because Washington came to MLB and confessed, he was exempt from suspension.
    He told the Rangers' front office -- including team president Nolan Ryan and general manager Jon Daniels -- and turned himself in to the commissioner's office within days of the test.
    http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/ar...n-used-co.html
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1b883a276.html

Complete BS...he only confessed because he knew it was likely he was going to fail. If he confessed w/o being tested, that would be a different story.

Im surprised that Ron Washington is still employed.

As for Hamilton I was thought the was drug tested randomly throughout the season. But I agree that this isn't an ideal situation for Josh.

As much as I'd like to think I have compassion for those who have trangressed, I'd have to give him the boot. I really don't think you can have someone like that around influencing young players who has done that sort of thing. Perhaps he can hook on with StL if he does get fired. They don't seem to have too high of standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'd fire him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Cocaine is a big jump ahead of marijuana both in terms of illegality and risk for the user. It's one of the big ones that usually distinguishes a casual drug user from an addict. Even if Washington only used it once in his whole life, that time before he was tested, he had to know better, he had to know that his was a huge mistake that would put his ability to manage young players in jeopardy.

He should be fired for poor judgment alone.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

So if you confess you don't get suspended?

I would have fired him after he confessed and I'd fire him now.
    Where we gonna go?

How do you justify keeping a manager who uses/used cocaine while the boss of your team?

Pitchforks and Torches!!!

The Just say No Generation is driving the car now.

Mistakes and human transgressions always can cause one a job, it's a lot easier making the call when you're not involved in the real decision.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Mistakes and human transgressions always can cause one a job, it's a lot easier making the call when you're not involved in the real decision.
    I fired a guy for less. He was fired because his continued presence disrupted my crew. As far as I know he wasn't doing drugs. Of course later we found out he was a pedophile.

Still... If Washington's cocaine use is disruptive to him doing his job, he should be let go.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Without the facts, it's beyond us to judge. But it's definitely unfortunate giving Hamilton's history.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Is using coke really a "mistake"? IMO it was a very poor decision on his part, and much less of a mistake.

There is a difference.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am about as liberal as they come when it comes to criticizing for drug use. For me this is about poor judgment and not taking seriously your responsibilities as a leader of young men.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

They employ Josh Hamilton. Seems to me, there are other considerations than "just say no". It absolutely makes no sense for them to potentially endanger an asset like Hamilton. And a manager who is actively using cocaine sure seems like it adds an elements of uncertainty where there needs to be none with regard to Hamilton.

Turn Off Ads?