Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's assume Chapman is in the Opening Day Rotation...

Re: Let's assume Chapman is in the Opening Day Rotation...

If Chapman makes the team, and that is a big if, he should do so in the 5th starter capacity. I thought in the 118 innings thread someone mentioned the Reds were going to limit Chapman's innings by skipping him for a start or too. While Chapman may prove to have great stuff, he still is relatively an unknown.

1. In a big three game series against....say, the Cards or the Brewers, I would try to pitch Harang, Chapman and Bailey.

2. Right now, I see Cueto and Arroyo as the least consistent (reliable) starters.
    I couldn't disagree with this more. As of today I consider Arroyo the most reliable starter the Reds have. Then I would go with Cueto, Bailey, and Harang in that order. I think Bailey has more upside than Cueto, but Johnny's career path has been in a pretty good trend.

I have the least faith in Harang. I hope he bounces back, but I have lost faith in him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If he is the 5th starter, is first chance to pitch will be in... Miami i.e. Cuban refugee heaven. You have to think the Marlins are praying he makes the team and starts his first game there.
    If he makes the team I have a hard time believeing that his Reds debut wouldn't be on Arpil 10th, at GABP, vs the Cubs. I know they have that off day after Opening Day, but I think they want him to debut at home.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Harang isn't a soft tosser. He brings it most of the time at 92-93 and can ratchet it up to mid-90's if need be.

The entire rotation can throw 90's heat (though that straightens out Arroyo's stuff a great deal), something not many teams can match.
    He can't just let rip the fastball and tell people here it comes hit it if you can. He needs his other stuff to be effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

While the east-side cubbified fans will show up for that 2nd series in large numbers, having Chapman throw on saturday should generate near sell-out buzz from Cincy in general. There is no doubt that the Reds will be thinking of the extra ticket sales, and frankly should be. If he makes the opening day roster, Chapman's debut will come at home sometime w/n the first 2 series. A strong performance in his big league debut could lead to a sharp increase in ticket sales for his next home start as people buy advanced tickets on their way out of the game or a day or 2 later.

I caught a segment on ESPN's BBTN program this afternoon. They were talikng about rotations in the NL Central. They showed the top 3 as being STL, CHC and the Reds.....BTW, Chapman was listed 5th in the Reds rotation.

They said that STL could easily have the 3rd best rotation in the NL Central.....and looking at what was listed for CHC, the Reds would have to be #1.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I caught a segment on ESPN's BBTN program this afternoon. They were talikng about rotations in the NL Central. They showed the top 3 as being STL, CHC and the Reds.....BTW, Chapman was listed 5th in the Reds rotation.

They said that STL could easily have the 3rd best rotation in the NL Central.....and looking at what was listed for CHC, the Reds would have to be #1.

The Cards have two #1 starters. However, one is always an injury risk. their 3-4-5 starters are Penny, Lohse & open audition. sure Penny could pitch like he did at the end of 2009 but overall his 2008-2009 numbers are not good.
    Bad Kyle was a common occurence in St Louis last year. imo the Cards 3-4-5 starters have the potential to be abyssmal.

speaking of the Cards their pen was extremely lucky last year. i can't wait for the season to start. i really feel that the Cards have very little beyond Pujols-Holliday-Molina-Carpenter-Wainright. if guys like Bruce, Cueto & Bailey step it up the Reds supporting crew is much better than the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    The Cards have two #1 starters. However, one is always an injury risk. their 3-4-5 starters are Penny, Lohse & open audition. sure Penny could pitch like he did at the end of 2009 but overall his 2008-2009 numbers are not good.
    Bad Kyle was a common occurence in St Louis last year. imo the Cards 3-4-5 starters have the potential to be abyssmal.

speaking of the Cards their pen was extremely lucky last year. i can't wait for the season to start. i really feel that the Cards have very little beyond Pujols-Holliday-Molina-Carpenter-Wainright. if guys like Bruce, Cueto & Bailey step it up the Reds supporting crew is much better than the Cards.
    Also depends on if Jamie Garcia makes the rotation for the Cards... He definitely has the makings of a very good SP... Just a matter of how fast they want to push him while recovering from TJ...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Will M's Signature Line:

2010 Fearless Predictions:
    Francisco is in LF by mid May.
    Chapman wins 15 games.
    Bruce outproduces Votto!
    Reds win 91 games.

During that same BBTN, they were scrolling through Fantasy Projections for 2010. Joey Votto's line: .303 BA, 31 HRs, 92 RBI's

If Votto produces that line and Bruce outperforms him, the Reds will win the NL Pennant!
    Last edited by red-in-la; 03-19-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Is everyone actually assuming that Chapman makes the team out of ST? Would you want it?

I'm still hoping he starts in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

Not only do I agree about the back of the rotation, but I seriously doubt that both Wainwright and Carpenter will be TOR pitchers in 2010.

They could be really, really bad this year.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Is everyone actually assuming that Chapman makes the team out of ST? Would you want it?

I'm still hoping he starts in AAA.
    I said in another thread 125 inning in the AAA rotation and a call-up to the major league pen at the deadline. Rotation in 2011. He's 21 and only went 118 IP in 2009. I want him to become Randy Johnson not Wayne Simpson.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I said in another thread 125 inning in the AAA rotation and a call-up to the major league pen at the deadline. Rotation in 2011. He's 21 and only went 118 IP in 2009. I want him to become Randy Johnson not Wayne Simpson.
    That is such a great plan. I love it.

Turn Off Ads?