Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: i know it's only mid march but...

  1. #1
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    1,114

    i know it's only mid march but...

    are there still people here who think that Heisey and other youngsters could ops it up with Gomes this season and that the Reds would be better off without him?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,350

    Re: i know it's only mid march but...

    The Reds haven't had much of an offense so far this spring. Pretty scary actually.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  4. #3
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,935

    Re: i know it's only mid march but...

    The bat was never really the question with Gomes compared to Hesiey. The question has always been about how much of his bat's value is lost thanks to his weak glove.

    The question about what the Reds would benefit the most from requires looking at both.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  5. #4
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: i know it's only mid march but...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The bat was never really the question with Gomes compared to Hesiey. The question has always been about how much of his bat's value is lost thanks to his weak glove.

    The question about what the Reds would benefit the most from requires looking at both.
    overall i realize that but there were some here who stated that the Reds had enough in house youngsters to equal Gomes' OPS. I never bought that or the fact that his defense is bad enough in left to discount his offensive ability. Again it's early and he might tank for all we know but if he continues his play from last year and this spring i hope some of the naysayers will acknowledge it.

    btw Francisco seems to be the real deal and though I don't like platoon's all that much the Gomes/Francisco combo could put up some serious numbers if they could both somehow stay sharp.

  6. #5
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: i know it's only mid march but...

    To quote Dennis Green, "Francisco is, who we thought he is!"

    Juan still has no control of the strikezone and would have trouble being consistent at the ML level at this point. He has great power and he makes "hard" contact, but he's not doing anything this spring that shows he could sustain his numbers over an entire season. I think he's moved past Wily Mo territory, but I think he's some patience away from being a ML force.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

  7. #6
    Member Spring~Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,630

    Re: i know it's only mid march but...

    Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    overall i realize that but there were some here who stated that the Reds had enough in house youngsters to equal Gomes' OPS.

    Again it's early and he might tank for all we know but if he continues his play from last year and this spring i hope some of the naysayers will acknowledge it.
    I hope that Gomes has a fine season, though I think it will be interesting to see and as to how Mr. Baker juggles his use and playing time for the various players. Especially as he perceives them in right and left platoon splits, speed/defense etc. to make his decisions.

    I don't think that any of the younger players are going to be given the opportunity to support or to disprove any thoughts on what they might produce, this season, considering sample size, are they? Other than Jay Bruce or maybe Stubbs?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 03-19-2010 at 01:15 AM.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: i know it's only mid march but...

    I'd call Stubbs a young one, though perhaps untested is a better term. And chances are that he's getting the starting nod for the majority of the ABs in one OF spot.

    I don't think any other prospect will make much of an impact this season with Cincinnati unless injuries wreck a veteran player's season or they fall out of contention early.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  9. #8
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,597

    Re: i know it's only mid march but...

    i watched the game today & thought to myself how happy i was that we re signed Gomes. while i would prefer that he platoon with someone in LF rather than be the everyday left fielder, i am very very happy to have him start vs LHP & be on the bench as a pinch hitter when a RHP starts. the Reds need offense. rest assured that when a LHP is on the mound we will get some out of Mohawk Man!

    i am very disappointed in Francisco. doesn't seem to have learned anything. he should not make the team. he is not going to have a good major league career with the plate discipline he has
    .

  10. #9
    SSG, Red Army Choir Guacarock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,144

    Re: i know it's only mid march but...

    What's impressed me most: Gomes' defense this spring. He has made several difficult catches, and some strong, pinpoint throws. He might not be as fast as Stubbs or Dickerson, but he doesn't look lost or lumbering out in LF.

    Combine defensive proficiency with his solid offense (3 HR, 9 RBI so far this spring), and he becomes an anchor and a more complete, all-around player. If he can maintain this strong start on multiple fronts, his naysayers will be eating crow soon enough.

    Nice to see, and one of the reasons I banged the Gomes drum this past winter. He's at the right age to have assimilated a lot of the things he's learned, but not so old as to be on the declining side of his career.

    By contrast, most of our outfielders still have a ways to go before they reach their peaks. Even if they eventually out-perform Gomes, it probably won't happen this season. And if Bruce, Balentien, Dickerson and Stubbs all put it together at once, and come out firing on all cylinders, that's the kind of surplus firepower this team needs. Our pitching improved dramatically in 2009, our defense was superior, but we lost an awful lot of close, low-scoring games because of our anemic attack.

  11. #10
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: i know it's only mid march but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    What's impressed me most: Gomes' defense this spring. He has made several difficult catches, and some strong, pinpoint throws. He might not be as fast as Stubbs or Dickerson, but he doesn't look lost or lumbering out in LF.

    Combine defensive proficiency with his solid offense (3 HR, 9 RBI so far this spring), and he becomes an anchor and a more complete, all-around player. If he can maintain this strong start on multiple fronts, his naysayers will be eating crow soon enough.

    Nice to see, and one of the reasons I banged the Gomes drum this past winter. He's at the right age to have assimilated a lot of the things he's learned, but not so old as to be on the declining side of his career.

    By contrast, most of our outfielders still have a ways to go before they reach their peaks. Even if they eventually out-perform Gomes, it probably won't happen this season. And if Bruce, Balentien, Dickerson and Stubbs all put it together at once, and come out firing on all cylinders, that's the kind of surplus firepower this team needs. Our pitching improved dramatically in 2009, our defense was superior, but we lost an awful lot of close, low-scoring games because of our anemic attack.

    Very true. You don't win very many games if your offense can't support your pitching and defense.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25