Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cuts on the 18th: Alonso, Bray, J. Smith, Valiquette, Adkins, J. Anderson,De Rosario

Cuts on the 18th: Alonso, Bray, J. Smith, Valiquette, Adkins, J. Anderson,De Rosario

LeCure, Valaika, Mesoraco, Viola, and Ben Jukich, who was selected by the Cardinals in the Major League phase of the December 2009 Rule 5 Draft, was returned to the organization and Louisville roster.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cuts on the 18th: Alonso, Bray, J. Smith, Valiquette, Adkins, J. Anderson,De Rosa

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    LeCure, Valaika, Mesoraco, Viola, and Ben Jukich, who was selected by the Cardinals in the Major League phase of the December 2009 Rule 5 Draft, was returned to the organization and Louisville roster.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Interesting.

Is the Cards system so down - compared to ours - that we couldn't find anything worth trading for, that we considered more valuable to our system than Jukich?
    Do we see him as a starter or reliever moving forward? Bill Bray replacement? Hm... I'm going over to the minorleague forum and see if I can find anything.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Re: Cuts on the 18th: Alonso, Bray, J. Smith, Valiquette, Adkins, J. Anderson,De Rosa

In the article it states that Devin Mesoraco is being assigned to Louisville. Does that mean he is skipping Double-A ball?

The Kid

kinda knew Alonso was gonna go back down, but was hoping there might be a chance he'd make it. I think he should spend the year in AAA and come up next year. let him get that extra experience down in Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by K30 View Post
    kinda knew Alonso was gonna go back down, but was hoping there might be a chance he'd make it. I think he should spend the year in AAA and come up next year. let him get that extra experience down in Louisville.
    From Fay:

For those of you who asked: mesoraco doesn't have to play at Louisville. The assignment can change. He'll probably start at Lynchburg.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

FWIW, I went to MILB.com and Mesoraco is listed on the Lynchburg roster and not the Louisville roster.
    Here are the listings for a couple of the Reds' farm teams if anyone is interested:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=true&sid=t416 LOUISVILLE

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=true&sid=t481 LYNCHBURG

Is Mesoraco turning into a huge bust, or is he just developing slowly?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    I think the jury is still out. He was drafted out of high school, so realistically he should only be a junior in college at this point.

I've heard his defense has improved, he just needs to start hitting, at least a little bit!

He did get like a million dollar signing bonus, so in that respect I'm sure folks expected more out of him sooner than later.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    From Fay:

For those of you who asked: mesoraco doesn't have to play at Louisville. The assignment can change. He'll probably start at Lynchburg.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Mesoraco CAN'T skip AA. Skipping it isn't an option, unless they've given up on him as a Catcher, and I doubt that. It's in AA where Catchers learn to be Catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    No. Not at all. He's exactly where he's supposed to be.

Now, he's about to take on his greatest educational course on Catching when he spends this year, the whole season, at AA. It's a AA in every organization where a Catcher learns the art of calling games. They sink or swim in AA and are given either one or two full years to figure it out. The REDS will know at the end of this season if Mesoraco is a bust "as a Catcher". If he doesn't figure out the defensive part of the game, then the REDS have to figure out going into next year whether it's best that they combine his Offense with the skills of an average to below average Catcher, or they combine his Offense with the skills of another position, such as 3rd Base, etc.

Soooo, which look-see guys are still in Camp competing for Roster spots?

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Soooo, which look-see guys are still in Camp competing for Roster spots?
    Sutton vs Miles is a big one.

Francisco and Heisey.

Nix.

Cairo making a heck of an effort.

Turn Off Ads?