Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Census 2010

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Census 2010

Just got this week and finally filled it out.

Simple enough, except for the questions surrounding ethnicity and race.
    Frankly, I found it a bit disturbing that they require people to identify themselves with a specific "race" (and Latino or Hispanic isn't specific enough for them).

I put us all down as "Other", specifically "HUMAN".

Guess Im not alone:

http://www.kcra.com/news/22886503/detail.html
    Last edited by oneupper; 03-19-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: add info
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Census 2010

I received mine about a week ago. For a minute I thought about making myself into a super minority. Something like a black transgendered pagan with a handicap. Instead I just tossed it aside into a pile of junk mail.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I received mine about a week ago. For a minute I thought about making myself into a super minority. Something like a black transgendered pagan with a handicap. Instead I just tossed it aside into a pile of junk mail.
    Think of it as your own jobs program. They'll have to hire someone to knock on your door. A 3 o 4 week stimulus plan.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

I don't get the freak out over the race question (not folks here, just around the nation in general). It helps the government understand population trends. We should want the government to have good information instead of bad information. It inoculates against bad decisions.

Plus, it's not like it's a secret that I'm a white guy.

I can see where it's a hassle for Hispanic folks, but I suspect the reason for the fragmentation is because the Census Bureau is trying overly hard not to offend certain oversensitive individuals. I've heard the "I'm not a Hispanic/Latino/Chicano/etc., I'm a Hispanic/Latino/Chicano/etc." argument plenty of times. While I'm sympathetic whenever someone feels unfairly pigeonholed, in this case it does prevent the adoption of a useful generic term.
    Last edited by M2; 03-19-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

We should want the government to have good information instead of bad information. It inoculates against bad decisions.

It's never stopped 'em before.

As for the census, I'm getting married next month and moving to a neighboring state. I'm not sure if I should fill one out or not. The plan is to be moved out of the apartment before the census workers show up.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post

As for the census, I'm getting married next month and moving to a neighboring state. I'm not sure if I should fill one out or not. The plan is to be moved out of the apartment before the census workers show up.
    These things even out in the aggregate. Go ahead and fill it out.

Data ftw.

I heard on the radio that for every household that doesn't fill one out, the government will spend roughly $50 to get the information. Fill out the darn paperwork! Do it for the general good.

I would be in favor of tacking on the expense to the 2010 tax burden of someone who doesn't fill it out.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I was really tempted to add fictional family members, but I resisted.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    These things even out in the aggregate. Go ahead and fill it out.

Data ftw.
    I didn't really explain myself very well, my bad. What I meant was I don't know if I should fill one out for myself or have my fiance add me to hers. I plan on being counted, I'm just not sure where. For the sake of the enumeration, I think it would be best to be added to hers since that's the state I'll be living in for the forseesable future. I'm not sure how well that will play out once the census worker starts coming around though. It might be hard to convince them that I've already been counted.
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

--Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

That's sort of my point. It needs all the help it can get.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that we should live in a society that is blind to the idea of race. But we aren't there yet and because there are such blatant differences in socio-economic outcomes that flow along race/ethnicity/gender lines it is most certainly worth enumerating at the very minimum.

I get the sense that some of the backlash against the race questions dovetail with the strong anti-government feeling permeating the streets at the moment. It's unfortunate that it is getting in the way of people performing their civic duty. Plus I'm a geographer so I want very accurate population data across the board.

I say fill em' out.

I didn't really explain myself very well, my bad. What I meant was I don't know if I should fill one out for myself or have my fiance add me to hers. I plan on being counted, I'm just not sure where. For the sake of the enumeration, I think it would be best to be added to hers since that's the state I'll be living in for the forseesable future. I'm not sure how well that will play out once the census worker starts coming around though. It might be hard to convince them that I've already been counted.
    Are you going to be living in your current place on April 1, 2010? If so, fill your form out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    I'm sympathetic to the idea that we should live in a society that is blind to the idea of race. But we aren't there yet and because there are such blatant differences in socio-economic outcomes that flow along race/ethnicity/gender lines it is most certainly worth enumerating at the very minimum.

I get the sense that some of the backlash against the race questions dovetail with the strong anti-government feeling permeating the streets at the moment. It's unfortunate that it is getting in the way of people performing their civic duty. Plus I'm a geographer so I want very accurate population data across the board.

I say fill em' out.
    Yeah, access to good population data is important to all social scientists (like me), not to mention that this stuff determines how district lines are drawn and how federal and state funds are allocated.

Not to mention that Hispanic is not a race. Aroldis Chapman is Hispanic but his race is black. Jorge Posada is Hispanic but his race is white. African American is not a race either.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Are you going to be living in your current place on April 1, 2010? If so, fill your form out.
    We are getting married April 16th. My things will all be moved by the end of the month. We've already begun moving some things. It just doesn't seem right to be counted in Va. when I'll be living five miles across the state line in N.C. for the next ten years or so. Another problem complicating things is the fact that I don't have a mailing address here at the apartment. I can't remember how it went the last time (I was living in the same apartment) but I'm pretty sure the census worker had to come out anyway.

Turn Off Ads?