Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Da Meat Hook retires

Da Meat Hook retires

Dmitri Young officially announced his retirement on Thursday.

It was all but official anyway, but Young made the announcement when he was introduced as the new vice president and senior advisor of baseball operations of the Frontier League's Oakland County Cruisers, an independent professional baseball team. Young, 36, retires with a .292/.351/.475 lifetime batting line over 13 professional seasons with the Nationals, Tigers, Reds and Cardinals. He was a two-time All-Star.

per rotoworld.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Da Meat Hook retires

He's a year younger then I am.

I'm no longer a prospect, am I?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Worth The Wait

13 years in the bigs...not bad at all. Fun guy to have on the team.

He was one of my favorite Reds when I was growing up. Hate to see the fact that he won't be playing any more
    Most Vottomatic Player

Favorite baseball cheer ever, sung by a very drunk man in front of us one night during the '99 season:

We got da bread,
    da cheese
    and Da MITRI Young!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I have a baseball signed by him. Been waitin' for it to go up in value. Guess I ought to quit waiting, huh?

I hope he managed his money wisely.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Not a bad little career for a not so little man.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I always liked Dmitri. He had a pretty good career - 13 seasons, 1389 hits, 171 homers, 301 doubles, career statline of .292/.351/.475 - .826 OPS, and a 114 OPS+. Also is one of only three major leaguers to hit three home runs on Opening Day.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-20-2010 at 01:36 AM.

I'll never forgive him for snubbing me at Redsfest in 1999.

Let the Dmitri Young Cooperstown discussion begin.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

I wouldn't bet my life on it but it seemed like Dmitri Young hit a double or a HR in every game I attended in 1999.

I believe he is one of the best switch hitters the Reds have had in the starting lineup since Pete Rose.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Always liked him. I loved it when he'd double, turn to the dugout and wiggle his fingers on both hands towards the team.

I liked the guy a lot when he was with the Reds - he gave the team quite a bit more color when it seemed they were deep in the pits of boredom. I remember one opening day in particular when he sported bright blond hair and a huge grin (could be my imagination, but I don't think so).

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I liked the guy a lot when he was with the Reds - he gave the team quite a bit more color when it seemed they were deep in the pits of boredom. I remember one opening day in particular when he sported bright blond hair and a huge grin (could be my imagination, but I don't think so).
    It happened...

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I remember being at a game where he hit a bloop single to center, but the centerfielder wasn't really paying much attention and Dmitri was booking it and ended up with a double from a blooper from single. I was stunned that Dmitri did that!

Turn Off Ads?