Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Trade Candidates

Best Trade Candidates

Come summertime, which pieces should the Reds be dangling as attractive trade bait in order to fill more pressing needs and strengthen weaker positions?

1. Yonder Alonso- It is becoming clear that Joey Votto isn't going anywhere. Whether or not Alonso can play anywhere but 1B, and whether he will ever be able to hit lefties remains to be seen. If he hits well to start the season, he should be used to attract a bigger need come June or July.

2. Travis Wood- While it is never advisable to trade away young talented pitching (especially southpaws), Wood's value may never be higher than it is right now. He is coming off a career year in the Southern League, and could perform well in Louisville to start the season. However, he is behind Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Chapman, and Leake on the pitching depth chart, and most do not project him to be a major impact starter in the major leagues. If the young pitchers continue to progress in the first couple months of the season and Volquez looks good in rehab, I would like to sell high on Wood to get value in return.

3. Jared Burton- While he has been up and down at the major league level, the emergence of Nick Masset has made him expendable. I'd actually like to keep Francisco Cordero around until the end of his contract, particularly assuming this is Harang and Arroyo's last year in Cincy. We should have at least one veteran mentor for the staff, and while it would be nice to have a cheaper option, Cordero could provide great mentorship and tutelage for the young Hispanic pitchers like Cueto, Volquez, and of course Chapman. Additionally, Micah Owings should help in the 'Pen, Bill Bray should conceivably return from injury, and Carlos Fisher has proven he can contribute in the late innings.

4. Logan Ondrusek- Similar reasons to Burton, but also if/when Jose Arredondo shows that he is recovering nicely from TJ surgery, Ondrusek could be attractive as a young, late inning arm to another team. If there is one thing the Reds have been pretty good about being able to produce (either through development or acquisition), it is bullpen arms. Between Masset, Owings, Fisher, Arredondo, Burton, Ondrusek, and now Jordan Smith, there will only be room for so many to contribute going forward, especially if Cordero is still here.

5. Chris Heisey- This all depends on what we see from Chris Dickerson, Wladimir Balentien, Drew Stubbs, and Juan Francisco in the first couple months of 2010. If two or more of those guys look like major league regulars, there is no reason to keep so many young OFs with value. If Heisey continues to perform but is blocked by any/all of the above, move him for better value. He also probably doesn't have the upside that some of the others do. Coming off a career year, deal him if he continues to perform. He will be 26, and we have more talented guys who are younger. I could see the Billy Beane being interested (see Denorfia, Chris and Rosales, Adam).

6. Orlando Cabrera- If Zach Cozart can hit well consistently in Louisville, Cabrera and his postseason experience could be an attractive piece for a contender (that includes the Reds) come July. Billy Beane has been known to pull these kind of 1/2 year flips, so why shouldn't his mentor be able to? With Cozart, Janish, and possibly a young SS (R.Brignac, Y.Escobar, or G.Green?) from outside the organization coming over via trade, Cabrera and his relatively inexpensive deal could be expendable.

Of course, if the Reds are not contending come July, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, Arthur Rhodes, Orlando Cabrera, and possibly Brandon Phillips (only if Frazier proves he can play 2B well) could all be guys who could be dealt. Hopefully, that scenario does not come to fruition.
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-16-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best Trade Candidates

Don't weaken your bullpen with a lot of maybes. It's too important.
    If Burton is back to form, keep him. Keep Ondrusek and Del Rosario.

Relievers don't bring back much anyway, don't give up your bullpen depth.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-16-2010 at 05:38 PM.

I'd say Alonso, Burton, and Cabrera. I'm not sure I'd touch the other ones, unless I'm really in the thick of it and think I have a serious shot. On the other hand, Walt dealt a lot of prospects in his days with the Cards, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him deal any of the minor league talent the Reds have.

If we're still in the race come summer and there's a weak spot in the outfield, Wood and Alonso would be an interesting package I think I could bear parting with.

I still think the Reds best trade candidate is Rhodes. Coming off a great year, cheap contract, easily replaceable. Should be able to get some nice prospects for him at the trading deadline, whether the Reds are contending or not.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I still think the Reds best trade candidate is Rhodes. Coming off a great year, cheap contract, easily replaceable. Should be able to get some nice prospects for him at the trading deadline, whether the Reds are contending or not.
    I agree with you and actually argued this very point during the offseason to no avail. At this time, however, I can't imagine Walt is going to be dealing any vets. That's why the majority of people listed as trade bait fall under the prospect classification.
    Go BLUE!!!

There is enough depth that just about anyone but Votto, Bruce, Bailey, Chapman, Leake and Cueto should be on the table.

Alonso is blocked and Francisco probably ends up at the same spot. Stubbs or Heisey. Vailaka or Frazier. Maloney or Wood. Del Rosario or Fisher. Ondrusek or Burton. Viola or Valiquette. The Reds should be able to put together a package to get anyone they can afford and still have a similar alternative to backfill for the guys dealt.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If the Reds are in the thick of a pennant chase, Jocketty will hold onto the veterans until the off-season, and deal prospects to shore up any needs.

But if we fall out of the running by mid-summer, then I'd look for either Arroyo or Harang or both of them to be dealt. In addition, I'm sure he would entertain offers for other vets as well.

Rhodes would be among the first to go, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips put on the trading block (before his big 2011 payday), as well as Cabrera and Cordero if the return was good. We do seem to have many suitable (younger, cheaper, talented) replacements emerging in-house.

Our position in the standings really will dictate whether Jocketty leans more toward dealing off kids or the vets.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There is enough depth that just about anyone but Votto, Bruce, Bailey, Chapman, Leake and Cueto should be on the table.

Alonso is blocked and Francisco probably ends up at the same spot. Stubbs or Heisey. Vailaka or Frazier. Maloney or Wood. Del Rosario or Fisher. Ondrusek or Burton. Viola or Valiquette. The Reds should be able to put together a package to get anyone they can afford and still have a similar alternative to backfill for the guys dealt.
    Agree with most of this, although I'll disagree with the notion that Frazier and Valaika are remotely interchangeable. Frazier and Francisco, or Frazier and Alonso maybe.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree with most of this, although I'll disagree with the notion that Frazier and Valaika are remotely interchangeable. Frazier and Francisco, or Frazier and Alonso maybe.
    I'm not as high on Frazier as most on here, but if I had to pick one to keep and one to deal, I'd keep Frazier and deal Valaika. Valaika may actually play enough defense to start at 2B in the bigs. I don't think Frazier ever will, but I'd rather have Frazier as a supersub or in the corners though as a 1B or COF I think his bat is a little light.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Don't weaken your bullpen with a lot of maybes. It's too important.
    If Burton is back to form, keep him. Keep Ondrusek and Del Rosario.

Relievers don't bring back much anyway, don't give up your bullpen depth.

Agree 100%. This is cheap bullpen depth. Remember the days of Mike Stanton and Rheal Cormier.

I'm not as high on Frazier as most on here, but if I had to pick one to keep and one to deal, I'd keep Frazier and deal Valaika. Valaika may actually play enough defense to start at 2B in the bigs. I don't think Frazier ever will, but I'd rather have Frazier as a supersub or in the corners though as a 1B or COF I think his bat is a little light.
    Fair enough. I see Frazier as perhaps a supersub until Rolen is either injured or ready to hang 'em up. I see him as the 3B for the forseeable future at that point.

I see Valaika as another in the long line of Drew Sutton, Adam Rosales, etc. At best he is another Jeff Keppinger.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd trade anyone in the organization for the right return.

I'd sure as heck trade Rhodes before his value takes a nose dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'd trade anyone in the organization for the right return.

I'd sure as heck trade Rhodes before his value takes a nose dive.
    Rhodes is one of the few guys the Reds don't have a replacement for. Viola and Valiquette can't get it over and Bray isn't healthy. Wood to the pen might work. Rhodes could probably fetch something, but if the Reds are trying to win, I think trading Rhodes weakens the pen more than trading any of the others. Maybe those clamoring for Chapman to start the year in the pen would get their wish if Rhodes is dealt. That might be the best thing for the Reds, but maybe not for Chapman.

If this year is a punt like maybe it should be, then deal him before the season starts and don't worry about it I suppose.

Rhodes is one of the few guys the Reds don't have a replacement for. Viola and Valiquette can't get it over and Bray isn't healthy. Wood to the pen might work. Rhodes could probably fetch something, but if the Reds are trying to win, I think trading Rhodes weakens the pen more than trading any of the others. Maybe those clamoring for Chapman to start the year in the pen would get their wish if Rhodes is dealt. That might be the best thing for the Reds, but maybe not for Chapman.

If this year is a punt like maybe it should be, then deal him before the season starts and don't worry about it I suppose.
    Rhodes has spent a large portion of his career as a closer. That experience is worth quite a bit, especially coming out of the pen in the or 8th inning. Rhodes stuff wasn't great last season, but he was successful in getting people out last year. IMO there is an art to coming out of the pen and getting people out late in the game. Its why a guy like Rhodes is valuable and tough to replace. I wasn't in favor of the signing last year but Rhodes was very productive.

The last thing I want is the Reds to place valuable innings at the start of the season with an unproven rookie. Let him work his way into the pen. There is no sense in trading Rhodes early in the year. As the season progresses you may see Rhodes moved.

Turn Off Ads?