Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Position Battles

Current Position Battles

Outfield. There is debate about Dickerson and Stubbs and Gomes, but all should make the team. The battle for the final outfield spot seems to be between Nix and Balentien. Nix hit a big home run today. Balentien is out of options. Tough one.

Infield. Looks to me like Janish is a lock for one of the two reserve spots. The last spot could be Miles, Sutton, or Cairo. I could see any of them making it.

Fifth Starter. My guess is it's between Chapman and Owings. If Chapman continues his great spring, he'll get it. Otherwise, I see Owings as the default winner. I see Lehr and Wells at AAA, unless there's an injury.

Final Bullpen Spots. Cordero, Rhodes, Massett, Herrera seem like locks. The remaining three spots? Burton, Maloney, Owings, Lincoln, Fisher, Ondrusek all seem in the running for the last three spots. I think the first three, Burton, Maloney, and Owings are the most likely - with Fisher hurt, Ondrusek a rookie, and Lincoln possibly losing out.

I don't see Francisco or Frazier or Heisey or Leake or Wood making the team out of spring training.

Other views now that Reds are well into spring training?
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-21-2010 at 09:52 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Current Position Battles

Not sure this is how the Reds are thinking, but I would rather the battle in LF be between Gomes and Balentien, with the loser getting traded.

I like both, but I think that Balentien, even with Gomes' improved defense, should provide similar production overall, and has a much brighter future. Whoever loses should be able to get some good prospects in a trade.

And Lincoln will be on the opening day roster. No matter how he performs in Spring Training.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    And Lincoln will be on the opening day roster. No matter how he performs in Spring Training.
    I could see Lincoln being traded to a team needing bullpen depth, with the Reds paying half the salary or more. I don't think he's a lock. They've cut salaried guys before.

I think Gomes is a lock to be on the team. As between Balentien or Nix, whomever doesn't make it could go in a trade. I could see either being dealt for a minor leaguer.

Perhaps a mystery injury to start the year between Nix, Balentien, Gomes?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I don't see Nix as anything better than replacement level for now or the future an wouldn't take a chance on losing Wlad just to keep him. Or maybe I'm just freaked out by the shape of his head and wish he would at least grow some hair; I don't know.

I'm not too bothered by the Gomes/Wlad redundancy, what with Bruce and Dickerson both batting left, not to mention Votto. It does seem a bit strange for the team to be so righty-heavy, though. And personally, I'd love to see Francisco make enough progress to be in the picture before long. In spite of his obvious weaknesses, I think he might eventually turn into a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Outfield. There is debate about Dickerson and Stubbs and Gomes, but all should make the team. The battle for the final outfield spot seems to be between Nix and Balentien. Nix hit a big home run today. Balentien is out of options. Tough one.

Infield. Looks to me like Janish is a lock for one of the two reserve spots. The last spot could be Miles, Sutton, or Cairo. I could see any of them making it.

Fifth Starter. My guess is it's between Chapman and Owings. If Chapman continues his great spring, he'll get it. Otherwise, I see Owings as the default winner. I see Lehr and Wells at AAA, unless there's an injury.

Final Bullpen Spots. Cordero, Rhodes, Massett, Herrera seem like locks. The remaining three spots? Burton, Maloney, Owings, Lincoln, Fisher, Ondrusek all seem in the running for the last three spots. I think the first three, Burton, Maloney, and Owings are the most likely - with Fisher hurt, Ondrusek a rookie, and Lincoln possibly losing out.

I don't see Francisco or Frazier or Leake or Wood making the team out of spring training.

Other views now that Reds are well into spring training?
    Pretty much agree. I don't think its so clear that there will only be 5 OF. I could see them keeping both Nix and Balentien and letting Janish be the only IF reserve. If some one gets hurt they can call some one up quickly. Having a legit back-up for every spot seems less important than having guys who can fill roles in game situations. The team needs bats on the bench that can win a game with one swing and Nix and Balentien qualify. If they need a guy to bunt or PR they can use guys like Cueto or Arroyo. Owings as a bench bat may also play into it.

The Rotation is less certain. I think Lehr just may sneak in while the Reds give Chapman some time to ripen.

The pen may end up as Cordero, Masset, Rhodes. Burton, Herrera, Owings and Maloney.

The real question is whether or not the team is willing to cut loose of Miles and Lincoln given the dollars.

I still think there could be a minor trade or two to influence things. Maybe not to add anyone, but possibly to thin the ranks and get talent for A+ or AA where it looks a little thin right now.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Pretty much agree. I don't think its so clear that there will only be 5 OF. I could see them keeping both Nix and Balentien and letting Janish be the only IF reserve. If some one gets hurt they can call some one up quickly. Having a legit back-up for every spot seems less important than having guys who can fill roles in game situations. The team needs bats on the bench that can win a game with one swing and Nix and Balentien qualify. If they need a guy to bunt or PR they can use guys like Cueto or Arroyo. Owings as a bench bat may also play into it.

You could be right. Certainly on a talent level the outfield depth seems stronger than the infield so i could see six outfielders.

Except that none of the outfielders seems to play any infield positions, maybe not even first base. So I'm kind of skeptical they will go that route. Maybe Nix played some first base, but not a particularly versatile bunch in the outfield.

One additional possibility - trade an outfielder for a good utility infielder.

Who knows? Just interesting speculation that should clear up in a week or two.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-21-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

What about a darkhorse like Wood taking the #5? I would prefer seeing him throw more so than Owings. Plus that keeps the arbitration clock from starting on Chapman.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Not sure this is how the Reds are thinking, but I would rather the battle in LF be between Gomes and Balentien, with the loser getting traded.

I like both, but I think that Balentien, even with Gomes' improved defense, should provide similar production overall, and has a much brighter future. Whoever loses should be able to get some good prospects in a trade.
    Yes.

Eee, by gum.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    What about a darkhorse like Wood taking the #5? I would prefer seeing him throw more so than Owings. Plus that keeps the arbitration clock from starting on Chapman.
    Who knows, but I kind of doubt Wood and Leake are really serious candidates for the fifth starter spot. Wood only had 48 AAA innings last year. Leake is right out of the draft.

My guess is the Reds want a long look at these guys. They have a lot of pitching decisions to make with the Arroyo/Harang contracts up. But I think that look will be in spring training.

IMO, the fifth starter will be Chapman or Owings. If not, Wells or Lehr initially.

There really shouldn't be much of a debate for the 5th OF position. Nix is what he is. I don't think he will ever be anything more than a fringe OF who arrives in camp on minor league contracts. I doubt that the Reds would have much of a problem sending him down to AAA.

Balentine on the other hand has potential to become an above average player. I doubt he will ever reach that level, but his upside, along with his lack of options, is a prime reason to keep him.

I think Janish will make the team as well as one other utility players. I think it should come down to Miles or Sutton. Both can play OF in a pinch. I think Sutton has more of an upside, but Miles has more of a track record, along with a major league contract.

I like Owings as a starter if he can stick. His peak value is as a starter, as long as he can have some success. I agree with Kc61 in that I don't think Leake or Wood were ever really considered as legit options. I also think Chapman will start the season off in the minors. So I think it boils down to Maloney, Lehr, Wells, and Owings. If all four are similar I go with Owings.

I'd keep Balentien around. He's still young at 25 and has some upside. He's a solid defender on the outfield corners and he has plenty of power in his bat. I've said it before, his skillset reminds me a bit of Nelson Cruz. I'd hate to see the Reds cut him loose this spring only to see him sign elsewhere and develop into a Cruz-like player. I like Laynce Nix, but if the final outfield spot comes down to Balentien or Nix, give me Balentien.

Don't count out Logan Ondrusek for the final bullpen spot. He's having a very nice spring (5.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB/6 K) after having a very good season season in the minor leagues last year. I would hope if the final spot comes down to Mike Lincoln or someone more deserving like Ondrusek they could go with the more deserving player instead of handing Lincoln a roster spot because of his contract.

I say Leake and Wood go to the minors, but one may get a quick call if there is an injury.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Based on Baker's comments below, I think the odds of Leake being the Reds #5 starter once the season starts have greatly increased. In fact, I think he's in the lead right now.

"I've seen tremendous control of the strike zone, he recognizes at a younger age than anyone I've seen of what a batter's trying to do."

Leake, like Chapman, has no minor league experience. He pitched in the Arizona Fall League, but has yet to make an official professional start. That won't hurt him in the decision-making process, Baker said.

"If anyone can do it, I think a pitcher can do it easier than a hitter," Baker said. "I've seen tremendous control of the strike zone, he recognizes at a younger age than anyone I've seen of what a batter's trying to do?"
    http://cnati.com/spring-training-201...-grabs-001589/
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Based on Baker's comments below, I think the odds of Leake being the Reds #5 starter once the season starts have greatly increased. In fact, I think he's in the lead right now.

http://cnati.com/spring-training-201...-grabs-001589/
    I take all of Dusty's comments with a grain of salt. He is very good at verbally building his players confidence. I would chalk it down as that more than anything.

I think it would be a mistake to have Leake start the season with the Reds. I would give him at least 10 starts in AA before I made any decision.

Turn Off Ads?