Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gomes or Dickerson?

Gomes or Dickerson?

I've been noticing that Jonny Gomes, once again, is tearing up spring training. Any idea who goes into the season as the starter or are they going to likely platoon?

Obviously defense is playing a part, which would favor Dickerson, but it's at least encouraging that Gomes is following up last year's campaign with another solid spring showing.

My estimation is that Gomes will start but will sit only against some righties.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gomes or Dickerson?

I think a platoon works best. Gomes is still showing no patience at all, but is hitting the ball a mile, often.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I've been noticing that Jonny Gomes, once again, is tearing up spring training. Any idea who goes into the season as the starter or are they going to likely platoon?

Obviously defense is playing a part, which would favor Dickerson, but it's at least encouraging that Gomes is following up last year's campaign with another solid spring showing.

I like your estimatio, but he needs to play versus most righties. Let the Mohawk hit himself out of the lineup.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Platoon, if not just Dickerson. As good as Gomes hit last year, he gave a ton of it back with his defense. Giving him more PA versus righties won't help. His value comes almost entirely from his ability to destroy the ball every 20 PA. I'd rather have Gomes available off the bench. Furthermore, I'd like to know what role Dickerson can play on this team in the future. We know what Gomes is; I'd like to give Dickerson more time to show what he can do.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

Agree with this.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree with this.
    I think Gomes helps the whole offense, as he's an RBI man. I think the defense is good enought to where we need pure offense in left. But I would be okay with a platoon.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Gomes.

A hundred times Gomes.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

platoon
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Gomes 40 % against righties, and 100% against lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Gomes 40 % against righties, and 100% against lefties.
    More like 75% against Righties unless he just doesn't hit.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    More like 75% against Righties unless he just doesn't hit.
    Agreed.

I think this is covered under managerial patterns and prerogatives. No, I am not knocking the manager. I just think that he will platoon in LF and CF quite a bit. How much I donít know.

As a fan I want one of them to win the jobs and to perform so well that no one can take it away. I donít care who wins it. Just perform well. In my opinion that outfield has to produce on offense and defense if any of our optimism has a chance to come to fruition.

We pretty much know what we will get from the infield players on offense and defense, we need some really pleasant surprises from the outfield players.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Gomes.

A hundred times Gomes.
    This.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    platoon
    I second this motion.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I still believe Dickerson should be the CF at least in a platoon to some extent I am just not all that comfortable with Stubbs yet. I would be ok with Dusty allowing Stubbs to handle CF by himself as long as the leash isn't long we can't afford 2 or more months of losing by a run or 2 because Stubbs isn't getting on base at the top of the lineup. Of course Dusty could help that by moving Drew down in the lineup if he shows he can't handle it.

How that all plays out would help me determine how LF works. And if Stubbs is the fulltime CF then I would go with a straight platoon in LF. If it's not a straight platoon Gomes should at most get to only hit vs. select RHP's. Ones that tend to rely on their fastballs/change-ups/mediocre at best breaking stuff far more than anything else, he should never see any RHP with nasty breaking stuff. I think Dickerson should get as many PA's as possible because he is the one guy who can be a consistent adequate or better top of the lineup option right away.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?