Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapman pulled from Game Today with Stiff Back

Chapman pulled from Game Today with Stiff Back

Wanting to make the team, he kept it hidden until today when he struggled with his fastball. The feeling now is that he'll not be the 5th starter, but we'll see if he can bounce back.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-on-chapman-2/

I feel sorry for the kid, I was just starting to believe he had a shot. Especially after he mowed down the Rox in 8 pitches to start the 6th today. . .

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman pulled from Game Today with Stiff Back

I blame Dusty, he has already ruined the guy and the regular season has not even started yet.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I blame Dusty, he has already ruined the guy and the regular season has not even started yet.
    starting the "Blame Dusty" Campaign early this year i see? haha

At the beginning of the inning I was saying to myself, "The way Chapman's pitching he's going to throw out his back." His pitching motion didn't look normal. He had a weird motion to his pitching. Turns out he was adjusting for having already thrown out his back, but I didn't recognize it was that. All the professionals did, obviously though. He'll be OK. Again, just one more reason why they're going to start him in the minors for two months, so they can monitor his early growth in a controlled environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    At the beginning of the inning I was saying to myself, "The way Chapman's pitching he's going to throw out his back." His pitching motion didn't look normal. He had a weird motion to his pitching. Turns out he was adjusting for having already thrown out his back, but I didn't recognize it was that. All the professionals did, obviously though. He'll be OK. Again, just one more reason why they're going to start him in the minors for two months, so they can monitor his early growth in a controlled environment.
    The professionals realized his back was a problem once he either winced or made motion about it....or because they came to talk to him after he started laboring through a tough inning. I don't know who these godlike wonder men are you think we have on our staff who can magically prevent injuries and shape Chapman into superman under "controlled" conditions. If they were that great they would have noticed an issue in his delivery right away and talked to him after it happened on 2 or 3 consecutive pitches, not after the 35 or so he threw in the inning.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 03-22-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    The professionals realized his back was a problem once he either winced or made motion about it....or because they came to talk to him after he started laboring through a tough inning. I don't know who these godlike wonder men are you think we have on our staff who can magically prevent injuries and shape Chapman into superman under "controlled" conditions. If they were that great they would have noticed an issue in his delivery right away and talked to him after it happened on 2 or 3 consecutive pitches, not after the 35 or so he threw in the inning.
    Both Mitch Williams and Joe Magraine said they could see it before anyone came out to talk to him. They both said it with as much matter-of-fact as if they were talking about someone walking down the street with a limp.

Now you and I (and almost everyone who posts at REDSZONE) don't possess the experience and knowledge to witness that sort of thing, but to those two men and those like them, it's second-nature.

Both Mitch Williams and Joe Magraine said they could see it before anyone came out to talk to him. They both said it with as much matter-of-fact as if they were talking about someone walking down the street with a limp.

Now you and I (and almost everyone who posts at REDSZONE) don't possess the experience and knowledge to witness that sort of thing, but to those two men and those like them, it's second-nature.
    Then my question (not to you but to the staff) is why was he left out there so long? When a pitcher alters his mechanics to compensate for discomfort elsewhere, it significantly increases his chances of injuring himself. And in this situation Chapman or some of these other guys are not going to say anything because they are battling for a rotation spot, you kinda start playing with fire.

I will preface this with I assume he is fine and this is a rather normal issue. I personally feel like the best place for him to adjust to the US is in the minors for a few months, let Fossas go with him and give him time to feel normal here.

Rushing him to the bigs is just a bad idea no matter how much we paid him, how mature he seems, how much better his control is etc. I want this guy to be a Red for a long time. And we have plenty of decent options for a 5th starter.

I think Lehr would do a fine job. It's his time and could make him some nice trade bait when Chapman is ready and/or Volquez for that matter.

I think Maloney and Owings both make the team, so they can be swing starters and bullpen guys.

Leake, Chapman, Wood, all need to get extended looks in the minors at this point, and get used to pitching every 5th day, and also see how they react to extended loads.

And, of course, the only reason you need to know why Chapman will start in the minors, is all in his contract and finances.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Then my question (not to you but to the staff) is why was he left out there so long? When a pitcher alters his mechanics to compensate for discomfort elsewhere, it significantly increases his chances of injuring himself. And in this situation Chapman or some of these other guys are not going to say anything because they are battling for a rotation spot, you kinda start playing with fire.
    That's a very good question. I'm certain that they all noticed it. Even during Baker's "interview" with the TV crew, he looked pretty concerned about what was going on. He should have been out of the inning if Sutton hadn't missed the double-play ball. Then it was a couple more batters while Dusty was talking to the television audience live. He was pretty distracted. He sent Bryan Price out. Then the TV interview was dropped so Baker could speak to Price and find out what was going on. They jumped out there in the middle of a batter's count (2-1) and did take him out as they could see what was wrong and called for the trainer.

It's probably just precautionary, but these are the things they need to send him down to the minors for. They need to know if there's something he's doing that might cause something like this, etc. They want to have all their bases covered before they move him full-time into the Major League starting rotation. There's no rush on this guy. They are going to take their time.

As Mitch Williams said, "If this guy gets a boo-boo, they're going to over-react to it", and justifiably so, considering his potential and the monetary investment they've made.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-23-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

lets take this one slow, Price said that it was a normal spring problem, they may have to sit him for an outing, but he will be back. If you really want to think someone's career is over....Think Edison Volquez.....
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

That's a very good question. I'm certain that they all noticed it. Even during Baker's "interview" with the TV crew, he looked pretty concerned about what was going on. He should have been out of the inning if Sutton hadn't missed the double-play ball. Then it was a couple more batters while Dusty was talking to the television audience live. He was pretty distracted. He sent Bryan Price out. Then the TV interview was dropped so Baker could speak to Price and find out what was going on. They jumped out there in the middle of a batter's count (2-1) and did take him out as they could see what was wrong and called for the trainer.

It's probably just precautionary, but these are the things they need to send him down to the minors for. They need to know if there's something he's doing that might cause something like this, etc. They want to have all their bases covered before they move him full-time into the Major League starting rotation. There's no rush on this guy. They are going to take their time.

As Mitch Williams said, "If this guy gets a boo-boo, they're going to over-react to it", and justifiably so, considering his potential and the monetary investment they've made.
    I didn't get to catch the game on tv, but I was reading through the game thread on tORG and that was the way they also made it sound as if Chapman didn't look right an was throwing a lot of offspeed and really just laboring (when Dusty was him hawing around the booth). I was just really irritated it took them that long to get out to him, and it should be that way with any pitcher not just Chapman, if they don't look right figure out why ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    lets take this one slow, Price said that it was a normal spring problem, they may have to sit him for an outing, but he will be back. If you really want to think someone's career is over....Think Edison Volquez.....
    Volquez will be back and stronger just like pretty much everyone else who gets TJ surgery these days. He is already throwing off a mound.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I hope you are 100% correct Griffy
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Volquez had more issues in his elbow that just tearing the ligament. I hope he comes back as good as he was before, but I am not counting on it.

Turn Off Ads?