Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: versatility and roster spots...

versatility and roster spots...

Wilkin Castillo ...versatility is nice, but sooner or later you have to hit well enough to get back on the 40 man roster.

Micah Owings sure can hit can't he? A couple years ago the reds would have loved to have an arm like this, but now, he just looks outclassed by the current crop of guys in camp. Can any pinch hitting bat justify keeping a guy around who can really only pitch during garbage time when you have young arms that could use that garbage time experience?

If Aaron Miles or Drew Sutton see an inning in the outfield, it's an inning too many or something strange is happening with an injury. It just shouldn't happen.

Who is the backup first baseman? Are we really going to be treated to more Ramon Hernandez if Joey goes down? Don't you think Nix or Gomes or Owings or SOMEBODY would ask to take some infield?

Matt Maloney is willing to be a reliever in order to get on the big roster. He relieved in college. Your pen already has two lefties. Can you see him in that roll?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: versatility and roster spots...

I thought that Hernandez played better than average at first base, defensively, last season. If Votto goes down, Alonso may get his opportunity.

I agree w/ Randy. Votto's replacement, if heaven forbid he needs DL time, will be playing 1b at L'ville, and that is Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I thought that Hernandez played better than average at first base, defensively, last season. If Votto goes down, Alonso may get his opportunity.
    He did play well defensively, but as a first baseman he put up a 202/301/303 which is pretty terrible even for a catcher. At first base that's a disaster. There are lineups that can win with that at first base, but this isn't one of them.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

You only need a formal backup on the roster for guys who you need rest regularly or who need to be subbed out late in the game. Sure, you need somebody who can fill in on an emergency basis, but the Reds have that with Hernandez and/or Gomes. If Votto's out for an extended period of time, you dip in to AAA.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Wilkin Castillo ...versatility is nice, but sooner or later you have to hit well enough to get back on the 40 man roster.
    Versatility has gotten Castillo to this point. Now he will need to hit in order make the club. It sure would be nice to have a guy who could get on base at a .350 clip while also playing C, 2b, 1b, of, etc.

Micah Owings sure can hit can't he? A couple years ago the reds would have loved to have an arm like this, but now, he just looks outclassed by the current crop of guys in camp. Can any pinch hitting bat justify keeping a guy around who can really only pitch during garbage time when you have young arms that could use that garbage time experience?
    Not sure is Chapman or Leake were ever really in consideration for the 5th rotation spot. If Owings can be a decent 5th starter then his bat adds a tremendous amount of value. If he becomes a long man, like the end of last season, his value is diminished a little bit because he becomes pitcher first and hitter second in almost every game.

If Aaron Miles or Drew Sutton see an inning in the outfield, it's an inning too many or something strange is happening with an injury. It just shouldn't happen.
    In the NL you need at least one guy like Miles or Sutton. With double switching an important part of the game you need one utility player who can play multiple positions and move all over the diamond. In the AL it is a whole different story.

Who is the backup first baseman? Are we really going to be treated to more Ramon Hernandez if Joey goes down? Don't you think Nix or Gomes or Owings or SOMEBODY would ask to take some infield?
    Your backup 1b is Alonso, but there is no reason to put him on the 25 man roster. In a one or two game pinch Janish or Hernandez can fill that roll.

Matt Maloney is willing to be a reliever in order to get on the big roster. He relieved in college. Your pen already has two lefties. Can you see him in that roll?
    I for one worry if Herrera has been figured out yet. IMO if Maloney can pitch out of the pen he adds more value than Herrera.

I'll be disappointed if they don't keep Sutton.

What's the matter with Gomes as a back-up 1B? He played there against Colorado and should be serviceable, assuming it's for limited innings. That would make for the far stronger offensive lineup if Votto goes down for three or four games, tops.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    What's the matter with Gomes as a back-up 1B? He played there against Colorado and should be serviceable, assuming it's for limited innings. That would make for the far stronger offensive lineup if Votto goes down for three or four games, tops.
    I always wondered why they didn't pursue Gomes at 1B a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'll be disappointed if they don't keep Sutton.
    Agreed. He can play multiple positions, is a switch-hitter, and he hit well in the minors (.820 OPS in 2,671 plate appearances). Aaron Miles is getting old and is coming off a horrible season, and isn't playing much better this spring. Sutton deserves to be on the Opening Day roster over Miles, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I always wondered why they didn't pursue Gomes at 1B a bit more.
    Frazier backing up Votto and Rolen is also a possability - it would give you OF depth too. I'd start him in AAA, but sometime this year, I expect him in the supersub role.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I for one worry if Herrera has been figured out yet. IMO if Maloney can pitch out of the pen he adds more value than Herrera.
    Por que?

It isn't like he's been consistently lit up at the end of last year or this year in spring training. Plus he's probably more effected by the atmosphere in Goodyear (dry, harder time getting feel for breaking pitches) than any other pitcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Por que?

It isn't like he's been consistently lit up at the end of last year or this year in spring training. Plus he's probably more effected by the atmosphere in Goodyear (dry, harder time getting feel for breaking pitches) than any other pitcher.
    You can only get by on smoke and mirrors for so long.

It has long been my belief that Herrera is somewhat of a trick pitcher. I don't think his velocity is enough to consistently fool hitters. I think once you have seen him a time or two you are able to better pick up his motion you will have success. You may be fooled, but with his top speeds around 80 mph you should be able to foul the ball off. I think Herrera's shelf life is limited due to his velocity. The more exposure he has the better rips major league player will have. Its even scarier when you consider Herrera's pitch is coming in at batting speed velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    ?? As far as I can tell, he's never played an inning at first base as a major leaguer.

I agree with the consensus that it would be nice to see Sutton start the season with the big club, but I suspect, just like Gomes was sent to AAA last year after clearly outplaying the opposition, that he will end up playing for the RiverBats.

Having Frazier around does alleviate many backup problems at many positions.

Does anybody want to stand up and say that Owings deserves a spot on this staff simply as a pitcher?

sutton had definitely outplayed Miles but I don't see Jocketty letting them head north without Miles stowed away. Also what about Cairo? I never, and still don't, expect him to make the club but he's played alot better than I expected this spring and is fairly versatile....besides some of the young guys need someone around who's old enough to buy beer!

Turn Off Ads?