Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dusty on Homer

Dusty on Homer

“He wasn’t quite as sharp as he has been,” Dusty Baker said. “He made some quality pitches when he had to. He was full of determination.”

How does one hit in 5 innings not qualify as sharp? I think Dusty may not like Homer. I may be reading into it, but it seems that even when positive things happen for Homer, Dusty has something on the negative to say. How can you complain about a guy pounding a tight strike zone? Boggles me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty on Homer

Im lazy so ill number it

1) Homer wasnt sharp considering he didnt strike anyone out
    2) Dusty sees what he wants to see
    3) He just talking and giving a quote to a writer

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I am wiping the slate clean for Dusty this season. I haven't exactly been in his corner his first two seasons, but honestly, the best managers in the history of the game couldn't have pulled those two clubs across the playoff finish line. Maybe that isn't possible again in 2010, but I think this club is absolutely capable of reaching the .500 mark. And I would like to wring maximum enjoyment out of it. Alright, Dusty, show us what you're made of. The fans of this franchise have suffered long enough.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

To me, the sign of a good pitcher; not just a thrower, is a guy who can go and retire hitters when he's not got his best stuff and when he isn't striking guys out. Bailey is maturing again and again. Can't wait to see him for a full season!
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    “He wasn’t quite as sharp as he has been,” Dusty Baker said. “He made some quality pitches when he had to. He was full of determination.”

How does one hit in 5 innings not qualify as sharp? I think Dusty may not like Homer. I may be reading into it, but it seems that even when positive things happen for Homer, Dusty has something on the negative to say. How can you complain about a guy pounding a tight strike zone? Boggles me.
    I would hope this is the truth Dusty is speaking. If he doesn't have his best stuff and limits the opposing team to 1 hit in 5 innings, then he is turning the corner into the Homer Bailey that was the #1 pitching prospect in baseball at one point in time.

Do we have to rip Dusty everytime he speaks.

It's a compliment to Homer. Dusty holds him to a higher standard.

I too am not a Dusty supporter, but maybe this is a message to Homer. He wasn't as sharp from what we seen out of Homer last year. Note to Homer from Dusty.

Kid you pitched well. Don't get complacent. I know you can do even better.

I think too much is being read into this. I was listening to the game and Jeff Brantley even commented that (paraphrasing) Homer wasn't getting his off-speed pitches to break like he wanted to. He also said after throwing a 3-1 pitch for a strike that last year he would have wound up and tried to throw it a 100mph, but this time he just took a little off and placed a fastball for a strike.

I'm not a Dusty supporter by any means, but I think Dusty was merely speaking to Homer's maturation as a pitcher.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 03-25-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Changed the wording

First of all, it wasn't 1 hit, it was 1 Run. 3 hits.

Second, I would say that if Homer pitched 5 innings and had 0 K's, that would qualify as a "not quite as sharp as he's been" kind of outing.

He is NOT a "pitch-to-contact" pitcher. Sure, this outing was, but that's not Homer on his game.

YES, it was good outing, great outcome (3 hits, 1 run), but definitely not what we expect out of Bailey, as far as "stuff" is concerned.

Not a time for a "pile on Dusty" moment. Believe me, we have plenty of those to go around.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Homer is going to be our most consistent pitcher this year. He has turned the corner and WILL be our opening day starter next year. Put it in the books! With or without Dusty next year, we will have the best, young starting staff in baseball.

As for Dusty's comments, he is being critical of a good young pitcher who still needs to grow. I agree with positive motivation, but we don't want Homer to get lazy. He has to strive to be the best.

Turn Off Ads?