Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who does Stubbs compare to, where should he hit?

Who does Stubbs compare to, where should he hit?

I know this is nuts he reminds me of Eric Davis and should be batting 3rd with Votto in the cleanup spot, anyone agree?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who does Stubbs compare to, where should he hit?

No.

Not yet.

So a guy with a career .765 minor league OPS (including a .401 slugging) and a .762 career major league OPS some how means he is a three hitter?

Yeah, no.

List of guys I'd hit 3rd before Stubbs:
    Votto
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Gomes

Hit him leadoff unless both he and Dickerson are in the lineup, in which case I'd hit him 2nd.
    Last edited by reds44; 03-25-2010 at 05:07 AM.

no offense, but do we really need 3 different Stubbs threads (that are all pretty similar) on the first page?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    no offense, but do we really need 3 different Stubbs threads (that are all pretty similar) on the first page?
    I dont know what do you think?

I've always thought he might follow a career path similar to that of Aaron Rowand

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So a guy with a career .765 minor league OPS (including a .401 slugging) and a .762 career major league OPS some how means he is a three hitter?
    Yeah, no.

List of guys I'd hit 3rd before Stubbs:
    Votto
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Gomes

Hit him leadoff unless both he and Dickerson are in the lineup, in which case I'd hit him 2nd.
    But is he with the numbers that you posted, a leadoff batter? Or for that matter is Cabrera with his numbers a number two batter? What is the main point of a batter like Votto if when he comes to the plate, if that the number of times that men are on base is limited?

Personally, I think Dickerson is the Red's best chance to have someone bat leadoff and get on base consistently. I think Stubbs should bat 7th for now, play a mean CF and continue to develop his skills at the plate. All this means Dusty would have to play Dickerson most of the time in LF, which is probably not going to happen.

Bum

I just read an analysis somewhere comparing Stubbs to Hanley Ramirez in that scouts have always liked his power, but it just didn't really show up while he was in the minor leagues. I'm not sure he's a #3 hitter right now, but I honestly do see Stubbs becoming a more middle-of-the-lineup type hitter as he matures.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'd compare him to BJ Upton. Or perhaps Carl Crawford or Jose Reyes with a lot less contact.

- Lot's of power potential, but only seen sporadically.
    - Tons of speed
    - Low contact rates
    - Good plate discipline

I really love guys like this in the 5-7 spots in the order. Their OBP tends to be too low to justify them as "table setters". However, their power makes them good "RBI guys" and their speed means they're able to play small ball with the weaker hitters behind them. It's why I like Phillips in this range as well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Eric Davis had some of the quickest wrists I have ever seen. The speed of his swing going through the zone was fast, although speed didn't always translate to contact. Stubbs has a longer swing than Davis ever did but I am sure that Stubbs will continue to refine his game.

Body types are similiar as both Davis and Stubbs must have only 5% body fat.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I have heard Stubbs compare his game to Torii Hunter before. Not a bad comparison if you ask me, especially considering Stubbs MLB power.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd compare him to BJ Upton. Or perhaps Carl Crawford or Jose Reyes with a lot less contact.

- Lot's of power potential, but only seen sporadically.
    - Tons of speed
    - Low contact rates
    - Good plate discipline

I really love guys like this in the 5-7 spots in the order. Their OBP tends to be too low to justify them as "table setters". However, their power makes them good "RBI guys" and their speed means they're able to play small ball with the weaker hitters behind them. It's why I like Phillips in this range as well.
    Completely agree. James has been making this argument for decades. I remember him saying that Willie McGee was the perfect #5 hitter, for all the reasons you stated, plus the fact that for some bizarre statistical randomness, the #5 hitter leadsoff innings the second most often after the #1 hitter.

Stubbs at #5 makes a lot of sense, much more sense than him leading off.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Placing Stubbs in the 5th spot would really help him in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Completely agree. James has been making this argument for decades. I remember him saying that Willie McGee was the perfect #5 hitter, for all the reasons you stated, plus the fact that for some bizarre statistical randomness, the #5 hitter leadsoff innings the second most often after the #1 hitter.

Stubbs at #5 makes a lot of sense, much more sense than him leading off.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Placing Stubbs in the 5th spot would really help him in my opinion.

Thank God, some of the voices of reason that I count on, have spoken.

Now I can go soak my head in the sauna and relax. Mr. Baker has been told by some of the best, the rest is on him.

Turn Off Ads?