Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who does Stubbs compare to, where should he hit?

Re: Who does Stubbs compare to, where should he hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My logic is a little different. I would put it that there isn't a good solution so he'll get criticized no matter who he chooses. I certainly don't think we should ignore the choice. You sure wouldn't see me ignoring him if he started putting Scott Rolen in the leadoff spot...
    And I would argue with your definition of good as it seems to actually mean ideal. Sure, I'd love to have a guy with a .400 OBP and Willy Taveras' speed, but how many of those guys exist?

I'd say a guy who gets on base at a .350+ clip, doesn't slug much, and runs the bases well is a good solution. Not perfect, but good. The problem with that solution is one of perception, that Rolen is an "RBI" guy and that 3B should be "RBI guys".

Will Dusty get criticized by somebody regardless of what he does? Of course. But I'd much rather him get criticized while making decisions that lead to winning more ballgames. Not ones that merely minimize the amount of critique.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree with Dusty that Rolen should be in the middle of the lineup where there's likely to be men on base and he can give me professional ABs and (hopefully) drive them home.

He's also too slow to hit leadoff. I want a guy like Stubbs so when he gets on his running skills can distract the pitcher and cause more fastballs to be thrown and basically unnerve the pitcher. If Rolen gets on as a leadoff hitter it won't bother the pitcher a bit. They'll say "thank you Dusty". And when Stubbs gets on while hitting 6th or 7th it won't bother the pitcher nearly as much because if he steals 2nd the pitcher only has to retire the #7 hitter. If he's on 2nd with the #8 hitter up the pitcher will merely walk the #8 hitter and pitch to Aaron Harang or Homer Bailey...Big deal.

Stubbs or Dickerson represent the best choice of leadoff hitters on this team and I'm on the same page as Dusty here.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Will Dusty get criticized by somebody regardless of what he does? Of course. But I'd much rather him get criticized while making decisions that lead to winning more ballgames. Not ones that merely minimize the amount of critique.
    Yes, it would certainly help if Mr. Bakers decisions led to more wins, which to date, they have not of any worthy note, in spite of excuses and dismissals out of hand, by the passive fan base who struggle to see any relevance in the acronym OBP and how it is applied. Clearly one has to reach first base, first, before they can benefit from touching home.

It’s not a new revelation that winning results would go a long ways toward quieting critiques and criticisms of losing from failed choices, and decisions. The Reds and the media boast a new year, a year of young prospects, veteran presence and an increase in talent. Still, we shall see how Mr. Baker fairs without Barry or Sammy and without a preexisting prefab talent packed team that any professional baseball manager could have won with.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 03-26-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    not sure where you get your stats but I was wondering did Davis have years where he batted in the 3 hole or was it Larkin who batted 3rd all those years
    I got my information from baseball-reference.com. As Hoosier Red and REDblooded mentioned, it's a good site for finding that kind of info if you have time to do a little looking.

As for your question, Davis hit 3rd in 94 games in 1987, and 72 games in 1989 (most of which were after Larkin suffered his season-ending injury at the All-Star festivities).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    How can we hit both of them 7th?

Not at the same time, dipstick. They are both 7 hitters is what I mean. :
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And I would argue with your definition of good as it seems to actually mean ideal. Sure, I'd love to have a guy with a .400 OBP and Willy Taveras' speed, but how many of those guys exist?

I'd say a guy who gets on base at a .350+ clip, doesn't slug much, and runs the bases well is a good solution. Not perfect, but good. The problem with that solution is one of perception, that Rolen is an "RBI" guy and that 3B should be "RBI guys".

Yes!

It aint that hard.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-27-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My logic is a little different. I would put it that there isn't a good solution so he'll get criticized no matter who he chooses. I certainly don't think we should ignore the choice. You sure wouldn't see me ignoring him if he started putting Scott Rolen in the leadoff spot...
    I'm much more concerned with who Dusty has playing everyday then I am the order he bats them.Last season he seemed way too committed to playing Willy,Gonzo and Hernandez while they struggled.I really got sick of hearing him explain how things always even out over the course of the year when questioned about continued playing time for them.

As far as Stubbs go.Leading off is fine unless he hits 5 or 6 HR in April but is only getting on base at a .320 or less clip.Use your brain and put him where those kind of numbers dictate he should be batting.Considering the power he showed last season a first month of the year like that should be enough evidence imo to say that he belongs 5th or 6th.

Stubbs looking more and more like ED

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Stubbs looking more and more like ED
    I don't agree quite yet on that...but that is an interesting comp to say the least.

I think Stubbs is hitting in just the right spot now. The more important lineup question remains, IMHO, why a roughly .700 OPS guy against righthanders continues to bat 4th against them.

Stubbs would have fit in real well with Vintage Reds teams because he's so clean cut. Reminds me of the days the Reds had a no facial hair policy. Put him in those high top red socks and he'd fit right in

Turn Off Ads?