Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn, 1B, A Work in Progress

Re: Adam Dunn, 1B, A Work in Progress

30 years old, outlier as one of the largest men in MLB history and perhaps playing his last season in the NL. He's not as lambasted there as he was here, and is revered for his size and power ala Frank Howard, in fact his experience there to date closely resembles Howard's own experience after leaving the Dodgers and landing in D.C.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mo Vaughn, Cecil Fielder, Frank Thomas. Big dudes just don't play the field so well. It will be very interesting to see how FA treats Dunn. With Vlad on a 1 year deal, I could see him as a Ranger next year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think the Nationals will resign Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    30 years old, outlier as one of the largest men in MLB history and perhaps playing his last season in the NL. He's not as lambasted there as he was here, and is revered for his size and power ala Frank Howard, in fact his experience there to date closely resembles Howard's own experience after leaving the Dodgers and landing in D.C.
    How was he lambasted?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    How was he lambasted?
    You really have to ask?

It's all over this site, a simple search reveals anything I could parrot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    How was he lambasted?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's all over this site, a simple search reveals anything I could parrot.
    Indeed 2 years gone now and still going strong.
    Go Gators!

the nationals just need to sign Scott Hatteberg to stop-gap at 1st until AD is comfortable.

The Dunn to first move should have happened about 4-5 years ago IMO

Dunn has just 1431.2 professional innings at first, roughly 159 full games worth. Not a big sample size really.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Dunn has just 1431.2 professional innings at first, roughly 159 full games worth. Not a big sample size really.
    Regardless of sample size it's getting more and more obvious that teams are very uninterested in guys that show any tendency to be a defensive liability.I'm convinced that Dunn will either spend the next half of his MLB career loosing on bad NL teams or else as a DH in the AL.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Regardless of sample size it's getting more and more obvious that teams are very uninterested in guys that show any tendency to be a defensive liability.I'm convinced that Dunn will either spend the next half of his MLB career loosing on bad NL teams or else as a DH in the AL.

I have to agree.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I disagree. That's a big enough sample size to get a read on the guy's chances of playing a position. If a guy isn't showing you much after 159 games at a position they won't likely give you another 159.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I disagree. That's a big enough sample size to get a read on the guy's chances of playing a position. If a guy isn't showing you much after 159 games at a position they won't likely give you another 159.
    159 games over 9 years isn't a whole lot, what.. 17 games a year?

meh.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is the guy a poor defender? Yes. However, let's not fool ourselves into thinking that less than 20 games worth of defensive data is definitive.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Is the guy a poor defender? Yes. However, let's not fool ourselves into thinking that less than 20 games worth of defensive data is definitive.
    Who mentioned anything about 20 games? Where'd you pull that number out of?

The truth is he's played 1B more than any other position since he left the Reds, including LF and DH.

As for your comment above, Nate, I agree with your first sentence and I also agree that 20 games isn't enough, but that's not where I'm coming from. I'm taking into account his regular season in addition to Spring Training

Turn Off Ads?