Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adam Dunn, 1B, A Work in Progress

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Adam Dunn, 1B, A Work in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    159 games over 9 years isn't a whole lot, what.. 17 games a year?

meh.
    or....159 games is nearly an entire season, or another way to look at it is that 159 games for Dunn at 1B is more games than EITHER Chris Dickerson or Drew Stubbs have played in MLB.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Who mentioned anything about 20 games? Where'd you pull that number out of?
    I somehow transposed games into innings. Quadragenarian here!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I somehow transposed games into innings. Quadragenarian here!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    or....159 games is nearly an entire season, or another way to look at it is that 159 games for Dunn at 1B is more games than EITHER Chris Dickerson or Drew Stubbs have played in MLB.
    Except Dickerson and Stubbs have over a thousand minor league innings at the position. How many does Dunn have?

strawman argument.
    Last edited by TRF; 03-29-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: just looked up the number of innings for both.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Jonny Gomes has 155.89 more innings(a little over 17 games)in the OF then what Dunn has at 1B yet he will forever be labeled a poor defender.I think that's a fair judgment I'm just saying that maybe Dunn should also share that label regardless of where he plays.

Gomes was a bad defender in the minors, has almost never been healthy, and his bat wasn't good enough to warrant a fulltime job at any point in his major league career.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The problem with believing Dunn can have defensive value is that he's shown next to no reason to believe that he could....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Except Dickerson and Stubbs have over a thousand minor league innings at the position. How many does Dunn have?
    Dunn's also 30 years old and not getting any nimbler. I don't think the Nationals are betting with the odds if they're banking on improvement. I think they'll live with it for now and decide later in the year if they're willing to put him in the field going forward, which will determine if they try to re-sign him or if they trade him to the AL or just let him walk.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

It didn't take seeing Dunn 159 times at first base to decide he was indifferent at best and pathetic at worst.

I don't care what numbers you pull up, he was an abomination at first base. It's not as easy a position as everyone seems to think.

His footwork and his mental game there were atrocious.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

strawman argument.
    Dunn has nearly 1500 innings at the major league level, at the position.

Strawman or not, he's not going to get any better.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    It didn't take seeing Dunn 159 times at first base to decide he was indifferent at best and pathetic at worst.

I don't care what numbers you pull up, he was an abomination at first base. It's not as easy a position as everyone seems to think.

His footwork and his mental game there were atrocious.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Whoever mentioned that Dunn was less of a detriment in LF than 1B was on the money. If I'm the Nats I'd just as soon put him in LF.

I fear we'll be in the same boat with Francisco and Alonso. Tremendously talented offensive player but no position in the field where he can't hurt you.

Turn Off Ads?