Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could the Reds make a deal with Boston?

Could the Reds make a deal with Boston?

According to reports the BoSox are looking for help in the bullpen and a utility INFer who can back up at SS.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Could the Reds make a deal with Boston?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    According to reports the BoSox are looking for help in the bullpen and a utility INFer who can back up at SS.

Thoughts?
    Sure how about Miles, Lincoln and Balentein for Hermida!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Thoughts?
    These kinds of deals don't usually happen in spring and its doubtful that the Reds are even thinking along these lines, but Janish, Burton, Lincoln and Wlad for Jeremy Hermida. Gomes & Hermida would be a fine platoon in LF that would really go a long way toward fixing the offense.

Wlad could be the 4th OF in Boston, Janish would be the SS depth they are looking for and Burton would bolster the pen. Lincoln would give them another arm to look at and would help even up the cash.

Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, whoever.

Owings, Maloney, Ondrusek, Herrera, Rhodes, Masset, Cordero.

Hernandez, Hanigan

Votto, Phillips, Cabrera, Rolen, Sutton, Miles (ugh!)

Bruce, Stubbs, Hermida, Gomes, Dickerson
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Sure how about Miles, Lincoln and Balentein for Hermida!
    Didn't see your post, but Hermida would be perfect for the reds. The Reds would need to give up more for him though and still may not be able to get him.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Didn't see your post, but Hermida would be perfect for the reds. The Reds would need to give up more for him though and still may not be able to get him.
    I'm sure your right but I'd take a shot, heck I'd have nothing to lose.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

While Hermida is fine, I'd be looking for a prospect or two. How about Miles and Lincoln for a low A C prospect and a low A suspect with talent but no production? Because there's little chance the Sox make a deal for actual major league talent and add payroll.

The loss of payroll alone (about $45 million) means the Reds could upgrade at another position at the Trading Deadline.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Thoughts?
    Didn't they just get an IF (Fradson from SF) and a reliever?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...eweis_rea.html

Why the continued fascination with Hermida, a career .769 OPS hitter, .740 last year. I'd take my chances on Wlad first whom is a year younger I believe.

Put me in the dump salary and be happy with it camp.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Why the continued fascination with Hermida, a career .769 OPS hitter, .740 last year. I'd take my chances on Wlad first whom is a year younger I believe.

If you find out, you can fill me in, as well.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Just cut him from my strat team

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Didn't they just get an IF (Fradson from SF) and a reliever?
    Yes. I just checked mlbtraderumors.com and noticed both of those moves have been made.

Just take a look at the mans splits outside of cavernous Florida. Just like Beltre the Red Sox are pretty smart at picking guys who are bound to do much better offensively than many suspect them to because they delve deeper. His LH power (in GABP and NL Central) would be a welcome addition to this lineup in a platoon with Gomes or not.

Career .815 OPS away from Florida (112 OPS+) .276/.359/.456
    Career .792 OPS vs. RHP (106 OPS+) .274/.351/.441

--Woody Hayes

Just take a look at the mans splits outside of cavernous Florida. Just like Beltre the Red Sox are pretty smart at picking guys who are bound to do much better offensively than many suspect them to because they delve deeper. His LH power (in GABP and NL Central) would be a welcome addition to this lineup in a platoon with Gomes or not.

And he's a below average fielder, even in left.

I still don't see those numbers being an upgrade over Balentien, especially when you consider Wlad's upside, speed and defense.

The team would save around $1M in that deal, but I'd still rather have Wlad than Hermida and the extra $1M.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Agreed. If he can get on the field regularly this season I think he'll have a good year. I'd love to see him as a Red.

They signed Schoeneweis and Alan Embree, and traded for Frandsen. Jed Lowrie has mono, of all things.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?