Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2010 MLS Season

  1. #1
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    2010 MLS Season

    What a venue. It makes Crew Stadium look like a high school field.

    http://mlsinsiderblog.com/?p=1566
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: 2010 MLS Season

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    What a venue. It makes Crew Stadium look like a high school field.

    http://mlsinsiderblog.com/?p=1566
    It is a beautiful stadium, but probably wouldn't have been built without Crew Stadium being a success. They might have to renovate Crew Stadium by adding a roof and better seating, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a high school field. Crew Stadium is still a lot nicer than a lot of college football stadiums out there.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  4. #3
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: 2010 MLS Season

    Looks like the Union is trying to live up the the Philly mystique.

    http://deadspin.com/5502826/philadel...ly-team-should
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  5. #4
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: 2010 MLS Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    It is a beautiful stadium, but probably wouldn't have been built without Crew Stadium being a success. They might have to renovate Crew Stadium by adding a roof and better seating, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a high school field. Crew Stadium is still a lot nicer than a lot of college football stadiums out there.
    I did not really mean it as a knock on Crew Stadium, but it is a bare bones structure. In the end, a stadium is only as good as its crowd, and the Nordecke is as good as it gets.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  6. #5
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: 2010 MLS Season

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I did not really mean it as a knock on Crew Stadium, but it is a bare bones structure. In the end, a stadium is only as good as its crowd, and the Nordecke is as good as it gets.
    Very true. However, I think Crew Stadium stands out as something special Lamarr Hunt gave to the city and soccer fans of Columbus. When the MLS started, Hunt owned 3 of the teams, the KC Wizards, the Dallas Burn and the Crew. Considering his substantial ties to both KC and Dallas, the Crew could have easily become an afterthought, but Hunt stuck with the team and worked hard to get the Crew out of Ohio Stadium and into their own place. Since he passed on, there have been rumors of a Las Vegas group wanting to buy the team (with the assumed purpose of eventually moving them) but Clark Hunt refuses to sell and instead has hired the staff to build the team into a winner. I occasionally hear rumors they might try to build a new stadium downtown eventually.

    The Nordecke rocks. I haven't had the opportunity to see a live Crew game, but watch them on ONN and have followed them through other sources through the years. The fact that Columbus can have a supporters group that can take over the Home Depot Center during the MLS Cup and turn it into a home field advantage is truly impressive.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  7. #6
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: 2010 MLS Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Very true. However, I think Crew Stadium stands out as something special Lamarr Hunt gave to the city and soccer fans of Columbus. When the MLS started, Hunt owned 3 of the teams, the KC Wizards, the Dallas Burn and the Crew. Considering his substantial ties to both KC and Dallas, the Crew could have easily become an afterthought, but Hunt stuck with the team and worked hard to get the Crew out of Ohio Stadium and into their own place. Since he passed on, there have been rumors of a Las Vegas group wanting to buy the team (with the assumed purpose of eventually moving them) but Clark Hunt refuses to sell and instead has hired the staff to build the team into a winner. I occasionally hear rumors they might try to build a new stadium downtown eventually.

    The Nordecke rocks. I haven't had the opportunity to see a live Crew game, but watch them on ONN and have followed them through other sources through the years. The fact that Columbus can have a supporters group that can take over the Home Depot Center during the MLS Cup and turn it into a home field advantage is truly impressive.
    Some of the best things about Crew Stadium
    -Buck-a-Brat night
    -The Nordecke. I was at a game vs. NE where they absolutely pelted the NE guy taking the corner with streamers. Hilarious. Also, I'm not sure that any other fan base has actually fought with Premier League fans. I'm not sure that I should be proud of this....
    -WC Qualifiers: USA vs. Mexico in February. We always bring Mexico into the cold of the Midwest to play a WC Qualifier. It has become a sort of tradition. It is the closest thing to an advantage that we have (ala Azteca's altitude/smog)
    -GBS and the most entertaining team in the MLS. I think it is time for the Crew to dump the "hardest working team" motto and start actively promoting the beautiful game that they play. They probably play the least MLS-like of any team in MLS.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: 2010 MLS Season

    That Red Bull stadium looks amazing.

    I got into the MLS for the first time last year following the Galaxy. I watched about 8 of their games on TV and went to 2 which was fun. Looking forward to this season.

  9. #8
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: 2010 MLS Season

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That Red Bull stadium looks amazing.

    I got into the MLS for the first time last year following the Galaxy. I watched about 8 of their games on TV and went to 2 which was fun. Looking forward to this season.
    The Crew and the Galaxy are definitely two of the more fun teams to watch.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  10. #9
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,478

    Re: 2010 MLS Season

    The Crew play a beautiful flowing style of soccer. I don't miss much about my time in Columbus, but I do miss the Crew. I've had some great times at Crew Stadium, bare bones as it is.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,549

    Re: 2010 MLS Season

    My galaxy off to a strong start even without Becks.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25