Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2010 MLS Season

2010 MLS Season

What a venue. It makes Crew Stadium look like a high school field.

http://mlsinsiderblog.com/?p=1566
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 MLS Season

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    What a venue. It makes Crew Stadium look like a high school field.

http://mlsinsiderblog.com/?p=1566
    It is a beautiful stadium, but probably wouldn't have been built without Crew Stadium being a success. They might have to renovate Crew Stadium by adding a roof and better seating, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a high school field. Crew Stadium is still a lot nicer than a lot of college football stadiums out there.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Looks like the Union is trying to live up the the Philly mystique.

http://deadspin.com/5502826/philadel...ly-team-should
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    It is a beautiful stadium, but probably wouldn't have been built without Crew Stadium being a success. They might have to renovate Crew Stadium by adding a roof and better seating, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a high school field. Crew Stadium is still a lot nicer than a lot of college football stadiums out there.
    I did not really mean it as a knock on Crew Stadium, but it is a bare bones structure. In the end, a stadium is only as good as its crowd, and the Nordecke is as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I did not really mean it as a knock on Crew Stadium, but it is a bare bones structure. In the end, a stadium is only as good as its crowd, and the Nordecke is as good as it gets.
    Very true. However, I think Crew Stadium stands out as something special Lamarr Hunt gave to the city and soccer fans of Columbus. When the MLS started, Hunt owned 3 of the teams, the KC Wizards, the Dallas Burn and the Crew. Considering his substantial ties to both KC and Dallas, the Crew could have easily become an afterthought, but Hunt stuck with the team and worked hard to get the Crew out of Ohio Stadium and into their own place. Since he passed on, there have been rumors of a Las Vegas group wanting to buy the team (with the assumed purpose of eventually moving them) but Clark Hunt refuses to sell and instead has hired the staff to build the team into a winner. I occasionally hear rumors they might try to build a new stadium downtown eventually.

The Nordecke rocks. I haven't had the opportunity to see a live Crew game, but watch them on ONN and have followed them through other sources through the years. The fact that Columbus can have a supporters group that can take over the Home Depot Center during the MLS Cup and turn it into a home field advantage is truly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Very true. However, I think Crew Stadium stands out as something special Lamarr Hunt gave to the city and soccer fans of Columbus. When the MLS started, Hunt owned 3 of the teams, the KC Wizards, the Dallas Burn and the Crew. Considering his substantial ties to both KC and Dallas, the Crew could have easily become an afterthought, but Hunt stuck with the team and worked hard to get the Crew out of Ohio Stadium and into their own place. Since he passed on, there have been rumors of a Las Vegas group wanting to buy the team (with the assumed purpose of eventually moving them) but Clark Hunt refuses to sell and instead has hired the staff to build the team into a winner. I occasionally hear rumors they might try to build a new stadium downtown eventually.

The Nordecke rocks. I haven't had the opportunity to see a live Crew game, but watch them on ONN and have followed them through other sources through the years. The fact that Columbus can have a supporters group that can take over the Home Depot Center during the MLS Cup and turn it into a home field advantage is truly impressive.
    Some of the best things about Crew Stadium
    -Buck-a-Brat night
    -The Nordecke. I was at a game vs. NE where they absolutely pelted the NE guy taking the corner with streamers. Hilarious. Also, I'm not sure that any other fan base has actually fought with Premier League fans. I'm not sure that I should be proud of this....
    -WC Qualifiers: USA vs. Mexico in February. We always bring Mexico into the cold of the Midwest to play a WC Qualifier. It has become a sort of tradition. It is the closest thing to an advantage that we have (ala Azteca's altitude/smog)
    -GBS and the most entertaining team in the MLS. I think it is time for the Crew to dump the "hardest working team" motto and start actively promoting the beautiful game that they play. They probably play the least MLS-like of any team in MLS.

That Red Bull stadium looks amazing.

I got into the MLS for the first time last year following the Galaxy. I watched about 8 of their games on TV and went to 2 which was fun. Looking forward to this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That Red Bull stadium looks amazing.

I got into the MLS for the first time last year following the Galaxy. I watched about 8 of their games on TV and went to 2 which was fun. Looking forward to this season.
    The Crew and the Galaxy are definitely two of the more fun teams to watch.

The Crew play a beautiful flowing style of soccer. I don't miss much about my time in Columbus, but I do miss the Crew. I've had some great times at Crew Stadium, bare bones as it is.

My galaxy off to a strong start even without Becks.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Turn Off Ads?