Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleepers and surprises around MLB

Re: Sleepers and surprises around MLB

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Brian Matusz, SP, Orioles
    Always loved him. He was my favorite player in that draft.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

If we're talking guys to look for in fantasy that are quite a bit undervalued, Jeff Niemann immediately comes to mind. In the 2nd half of last season he picked up the K's and his walks dropped immensely. I'm seeing a guy that could easily win 15, have a sub 4 era, and k 150+...

I agree on Blanks. Great power rate.

Borbon is nice, but I'm not sure about 50 sb's... I like him more for the runs he'll get at the top of that order.

Cueto is definitely a guy people are overlooking.

Liriano is another one.

Stephen Drew is on the cusp of a big season, as is Hunter Pence.

Chris Coghlan, even as reigning ROY is a guy that people still don't seem sold on, but I'll gladly take a guy that should continue to hit .310+ and score runs... Not to mention the fact that if Uggla is traded he should be primed to slide back to his natural position of 2b.

My dark horse is Matt Antonelli... Once considered the top 2b prospect in the game he struggled the past season and a half, but has hit again this spring. He could be poised to return to a .300+ hitting 2bman with a touch of pop.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

And yes. Matusz is filthy.

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I helped a guy draft last night in a 5x5 roto league... The league was filled with baseball writers and fantasy experts... I told him to focus bats early, and to pay specific attention to filling his infield with solid bats... Here's what he ended up with in a 12 team league...

C - Wieters
    1b - Butler
    2b - Cano
    SS - Hanley
    3b - Zimmerman
    OF - BJ Upton
    OF - Pence
    OF - Borbon
    Ut - S Drew
    Ut - G Beckham

SP - Haren
    SP - B Anderson
    RP - F Cordero
    RP - Jenks
    P - Matusz
    P - Liriano
    P - Cueto
    P - Harang

BN - Strasburg, Blanks, H Kendrick, Stubbs, Chapman

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Fantasy, specifically the dynasty league I am in got me thinking about it, but I like to see who the future stars are.

Borbon ran wild in very limited duty last year: 157 AB's 19 SB's. He can fly. He's the Rangers only SB threat, and I have a feeling he's going to run a lot.

Ian Desmond has even less hype, winning the starting SS job this week. Offensively he's almost a complete unknown. He's 24 and this will be his first full season as a major leaguer.

These unheralded types are my baseball crack... can't get enough of them.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Desmond Jennings, OF, Rays. He's good enough to push B.J. Upton to a corner outfield spot. He's got solid power potential, great plate discipline, plus-plus speed, and plays a very good center field. He'll begin the season in the minors but should be up with the Rays by June.

Brian Matusz and Matt Wieters are great picks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Nobody knows who Julio Borbon is, but after this season they will. He could steal 50+ bases while hitting for some moderate power.
    I have him in my keeper league and he was awesome at the end of last season. Of course, he hit better in Texas than he did in the minors so one has to wonder whether he will be able to continue to hit like he did in Texas or if there will be an adjustment period this season. I think he will be a fine player, this year may end up being a bit of a disappointment though if one expects him to maintain the same pace as last September.

Bum

Is Weiters really an unknown?

I'm also amazed at how many Yankees relievers I hadn't really heard of. almost a youth movement there.

I think suggesting Weiters as a sleeper would be akin to suggesting David Price as a sleeper. Now Wade Davis may be a better fit in this category; the kid is going to be good.

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Fantasy, specifically the dynasty league I am in got me thinking about it, but I like to see who the future stars are.

Borbon ran wild in very limited duty last year: 157 AB's 19 SB's. He can fly. He's the Rangers only SB threat, and I have a feeling he's going to run a lot.

Ian Desmond has even less hype, winning the starting SS job this week. Offensively he's almost a complete unknown. He's 24 and this will be his first full season as a major leaguer.

These unheralded types are my baseball crack... can't get enough of them.
    I like Borbon, but Andrus is also a sb threat there... And any guy going for 13-20 dollars in standard 10 team auctions is no longer a sleeper...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I like Borbon, but Andrus is also a sb threat there... And any guy going for 13-20 dollars in standard 10 team auctions is no longer a sleeper...
    Yeah, Kinsler and Cruz too. don't know what i was thinking there. I do think he's going to run alot this year.

The Ranger have a very good shot at that division, if their rotation doesn't implode.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    Gaby Sanchez 1b Florida Marlins
    I tend to think Gaby will simply be keeping the seat warm for Morrisson. Logan's plate discipline is uncanny for his age, which is one of the things Sanchez struggles with. If Sanchez has a good start to the year, it might buy him the rest of the season. But otherwise, I give it until July until his job is taken.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I tend to think Gaby will simply be keeping the seat warm for Morrisson. Logan's plate discipline is uncanny for his age, which is one of the things Sanchez struggles with. If Sanchez has a good start to the year, it might buy him the rest of the season. But otherwise, I give it until July until his job is taken.
    I apologize to the forum for my immaturity but my ego needs to take this moment to update this thread.

As of today Gaby Sanchez is at .308/.376/.481. He leads NL rookies in Avg and OBP and is second in Slg and OPS behind Tyler Colvin.

Right now this guy is making a case for NL rookie of the year, although i would be surprised if the higher upside guy, Jason Heyward, doesn't end up with the award (which wouldn't really bother me).

IMO he is the definition of an under the radar type of guy because of the position he plays, his age, and also because of the more glamorous prospects within his own organization, as Brutus kindly pointed out.

Unless he switches positions at some point or has a dramatic increase in power, i don't think he will ever be an All-Star but he is proving himself to be a tough out and a solid everyday bat. (At least for now).

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    If we're talking guys to look for in fantasy that are quite a bit undervalued, Jeff Niemann immediately comes to mind. In the 2nd half of last season he picked up the K's and his walks dropped immensely. I'm seeing a guy that could easily win 15, have a sub 4 era, and k 150+...

I agree on Blanks. Great power rate.

Borbon is nice, but I'm not sure about 50 sb's... I like him more for the runs he'll get at the top of that order.

Cueto is definitely a guy people are overlooking.

Liriano is another one.

Stephen Drew is on the cusp of a big season, as is Hunter Pence.

Chris Coghlan, even as reigning ROY is a guy that people still don't seem sold on, but I'll gladly take a guy that should continue to hit .310+ and score runs... Not to mention the fact that if Uggla is traded he should be primed to slide back to his natural position of 2b.

My dark horse is Matt Antonelli... Once considered the top 2b prospect in the game he struggled the past season and a half, but has hit again this spring. He could be poised to return to a .300+ hitting 2bman with a touch of pop.
    In that case, I've done pretty well here...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?