Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleepers and surprises around MLB

Sleepers and surprises around MLB

By now we have all heard of Strasburg, Chapman and Howard. But what come from nowhere prospects are you looking at that have secured a major league job?

For me, a guy flying totally under the radar is Ian Desmond of the Nats. From the Nats official website:
    Ian Desmond, SS: After being put on the fast track -- maybe the too-fast track -- in 2006, Desmond fell off the radar for a few years before enjoying a resurgence in 2009, hitting .330 between Harrisburg and Syracuse after missing the first two months of the season with a fractured hamate bone. He finished the year in the big leagues, batting .280 with four homers in 21 games, and will open the season at shortstop in Washington. He is outstanding defensively with range, energy and athleticism.
    That's an interesting infield, especially on the left side with Desmond and Zimmerman. They should make it easier for Dunn at 1B.

Offensively, Desmond could be a 15 HR guy with 20+SB's. or more.

Ian Desmond is TRF's Taco Bell breakout prospect.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sleepers and surprises around MLB

Are you referring to Jason Heyward, or is there another prospect named Howard that I have not heard of?

Anyway, another player who has emerged this ST is Sean Rodriguez at 2B for Tampa Bay.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Gaby Sanchez 1b Florida Marlins

Jamie Garcia - SP Cardinals
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Kyle Blanks - OF/1B Padres

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Brian Matusz, SP, Orioles
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Tyler Colvin as the Cubs 4th outfielder. Fair use snippet from Baseball HQ:
    3/29/2010 - A monster March has propelled Tyler Colvin (OF, CHC) onto the big-league roster, manager Lou Pinella confirmed Sunday. A .468/.468/.710 line in 62 AB tends to have that affect.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Are you referring to Jason Heyward, or is there another prospect named Howard that I have not heard of?

Anyway, another player who has emerged this ST is Sean Rodriguez at 2B for Tampa Bay.
    I think Jason Heyward is being set up for a fall. I heard Kurkjian talking on ESPN radio yesterday talking about how Heyward will be the impact bat Atlanta is missing. People are talking about Heyward like he is the real deal already. We as Reds fans have seen even the best rookies will struggle.

Yeah, I meant Heyward. Do'h!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Brian Matusz, SP, Orioles
    I have him on 2 fantasy teams. I think he's poised for a huge breakout.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think Jason Heyward is being set up for a fall. I heard Kurkjian talking on ESPN radio yesterday talking about how Heyward will be the impact bat Atlanta is missing. People are talking about Heyward like he is the real deal already. We as Reds fans have seen even the best rookies will struggle.
    I think you will see that they are right about Heyward. He may not come out and hit 30 HR's this year (or even next year) but .280 with an OPS above .800 could be the minimum he will do given 500 PA's. IMHO

Bum

If Eric Young can get 500 PA's he could steal 50+ bases easily and provide solid offensive production; his defese may be weak however.

I have him on 2 fantasy teams. I think he's poised for a huge breakout.
    Tough ballpark and tough division.

---BJ Upton to come into his own and explode as a genuine baseball star. Think 30/50 and an MVP type campaign in Tampa.

---CJ Wilson to take well to starting rather than relieving in Texas. I think he can have a Kenny Rogers type career arc now.

---Fausto Carmona with a career bounceback year as his control returns in Cleveland.

Nobody knows who Julio Borbon is, but after this season they will. He could steal 50+ bases while hitting for some moderate power.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Tough ballpark and tough division.
    Yes but he was up with the O's for a while last season so it's not going to be as intimidating for him this year. IIRC, he threw like six or seven shutout innings in one of his starts at Yankee Stadium last year and it doesn't seem like much fazes him. I think his overall stats last year were pretty decent for a young starter too. This guy knows how to pitch and I think he's going to do a great job for the O's this year.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?