Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Leake/Wood/Volquez

Leake/Wood/Volquez

Leake's turn comes up on Friday in Philadelphia. Volquez is pitching tonight. Could Volquez take that turn to keep Leake's innings down?

More radical thought. Could Leake go to AAA to rest for the next ten days, which include the All Star break, and then come back a few days after the break? This would also keep Leake's innings down, with Volquez getting his starts.

If something like this happens, the beneficiary is Wood, who would stay with the big club. Wood's turn is Tuesday against the Mets and he obviously will take that turn.

The other option is to keep Leake in his normal rotation and replace Wood with Volquez next Sunday in Philadelphia. That would be Wood's turn after NY.

Or, the Reds could keep Volquez in the minors until afte the ASB and keep both Leake and Wood in the rotation.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-04-2010 at 06:40 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Leake/Wood/Volquez

They won't send Leake to AAA. If anything, he'll come up with some back tightness and end up on the DL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    They won't send Leake to AAA. If anything, he'll come up with some back tightness and end up on the DL.
    Except he can come back sooner from AAA.

DL is fifteen days. AAA is only ten.

Leake to the bullpen, Ondrusek to AAA if I had a say in it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Nice thought on Volquez coming up to take Leake's spot in five days. That would limit his innings, certainly. I'd pitch Leake and Wood every other start for awhile, while giving the other long innings in the pen if needed.

Smith to AAA, if only for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Nice thought on Volquez coming up to take Leake's spot in five days. That would limit his innings, certainly. I'd pitch Leake and Wood every other start for awhile, while giving the other long innings in the pen if needed.

Smith to AAA, if only for a few days.
    The suggestion of alternating Leake and Wood in the rotation is an interesting idea. As you say the other could get a few innings in as the long man in between starts. this idea limits both of their innings for 2010 yet keeps them both on the team.

I would play the ones I have through the All Star break. That would give Volquez at least two more starts at AAA. Give Volquez plenty of time to get sharp at AAA rather than Cincy. Once he comes up, he likely will stay up. That means starting Wood Tuesday and Sunday and starting Leake in his regular turn.

In any event I would keep Ondrusek on the 25. Masked by his 5.06 overall ERA is his good success since being recalled. In his last 13 appearances, he has given up 7 hits, 1 ER, 1BB, and 11K.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I would play the ones I have through the All Star break. That would give Volquez at least two more starts at AAA. Give Volquez plenty of time to get sharp at AAA rather than Cincy. Once he comes up, he likely will stay up. That means starting Wood Tuesday and Sunday and starting Leake in his regular turn.

In any event I would keep Ondrusek on the 25. Masked by his 5.06 overall ERA is his good success since being recalled. In his last 13 appearances, he has given up 7 hits, 1 ER, 1BB, and 11K.
    agree about Ondrusek. since his recall ~ June 1rst he has been very very good. the bloated ERA stems from his failures in April. in fact if i were Dusty i'd try to slip into a couple of higher leverage situations & see how he does (instead of using Nick Masset all the time)

Watched Volquez tonight. He doesn't look ready to help much IMO. All over the place.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't think Volquez will be called up before the AS break.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd pitch Leake and Wood every other start for awhile, while giving the other long innings in the pen if needed.
    That's an interesting idea. Unfortunately, it's way outside of the doughnut hole that makes up Dusty's thought process. I mean, that's just not 'traditional'.

The Reds have a rather unusual situation with these two young pitchers combined with being in the middle of a pennant race. It may take a little bit of creative thinking like Scrapy's suggestion to balance the two. Maybe that wouldn't work but at least it's an idea----something that I don't believe Dusty would come up with.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?