Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volquez could be ready by All-Star break

Volquez could be ready by All-Star break

Just read on yahoo that volquez has started throwing from the mound and could/should be ready after the all star break. My question is isnt this rather soon ? Also typically what should expectations be after T.J. surgery ? I thought i read before that it's typically a full year removed from T.J. surgery before the pitcher is Back to "Normal" anybody have insite or general info regarding pitchers coming back from T.J. surgery.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Volquez

Cards' Cris Carpenter recovered very well from it. He's dominant. I see no reason why Edison can't do the same.

Volquez had the surgery at the begining of August last year. I think it is possible to return right after the allstar break, but probably as a relief pitcher.

Re: Volquez could be ready by All-Star break

I can't help but think back to Jose Rijo and think that if the Reds hadn't rushed him back after his injury, he would have had several more years of effective pitching left in him.

I would much rather EV take the full season off, and maybe do some rehab stuff in Winterball.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

I agree there isn't much reason to rush him back. He is very important for the next few years of this franchise. If we are still in it in August, bring him back for a playoff push in late August or September and if not... let him rehab slowly and get ready for 2011

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    Volquez had the surgery at the begining of August last year. I think it is possible to return right after the allstar break, but probably as a relief pitcher.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    I was going to say. After the All-Star break would put it about a year. Maybe a tad quick, but I think sometimes it depends on the individual as well.

Yeah, he didn't "just" have TJ surjery, he had some other surgeries.

I hope that they take their time with him. No need to rush him.

Even if we are in the race, we've got Chapman, Leake and Wood covering the 5th spot and AAA call-ups available.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

youngtimer

If this is true, I think that this will be a huge impact. It seems as though that around the All Star Break, our Reds turn sour and act as if they have no idea how to play baseball. So an addition like Edison would be great and/or a trade of somesort for the missing piece to the puzzle. But this is just a thought.

I guess it just seemed rather quick to me >shrugs < what do i know hopefully he comes back a beast .

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Yeah, he didn't "just" have TJ surjery, he had some other surgeries.

I hope that they take their time with him. No need to rush him.

Even if we are in the race, we've got Chapman, Leake and Wood covering the 5th spot and AAA call-ups available.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    What is the actual scoop on his surgeries then? I had only heard of the Tommy John, but have seen a few posts on here about him having more than that done. Can you fill me in?

Dunno if you guys read "baseball prospectus" or not, but they painted a pretty dim picture for his future. Did anyone catch that, and if so, what did you think of it?

The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    I can't help but think back to Jose Rijo and think that if the Reds hadn't rushed him back after his injury, he would have had several more years of effective pitching left in him.

I would much rather EV take the full season off, and maybe do some rehab stuff in Winterball.

i gotta agree with this, theres no reason to bring him back this year. Let him have the full season to recover. We have enough talent in AAA that can cover with him being gone for the full season..if he were to come back, i dont think it should be till aug/sept as a relief pitcher.

Can anyone inform me as to what is going on? I keep hearing he had more than just Tommy John, but noone will answer what it was he had done. Also, there is apparently a Baseball Prospectus article about his dim future...I couldnt find it when I searched for it deeply on their website, anyone have a link or could summarize it? Thanks, I feel left out.

Can anyone inform me as to what is going on? I keep hearing he had more than just Tommy John, but noone will answer what it was he had done. Also, there is apparently a Baseball Prospectus article about his dim future...I couldnt find it when I searched for it deeply on their website, anyone have a link or could summarize it? Thanks, I feel left out.

Turn Off Ads?